PDA

View Full Version : LTR Engine Water Spray Issue

swatguy
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Well went to go winterize the boat and noticed something that I haven't before which got me worrying.

Right above my main pulley there seems to be a pre- drilled hole that water exited a few times as I see rust marks around the hole. Shown in PIC #1

However directly underneath that hole on the backside of the pulley while I was hooked to the hose I noticed a drip that would drip on the belt and then water would spray a little due to the belt. Looks like this is something that has been happening as my bottom pulley shaft has some rust to it. Is this normal? Something majorly wrong?

I checked all my raw water pump connections and all were tight. Just wondering if maybe there wasn't some condenstaion built up and it was dripping because I had the boat tilted/angled all the way up or if this is a design thing. The last pic you can see the little rust build up.

Thanks in advance for the help

swatguy
10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Here is a couple more of where the water is landing/ rust is.

nmcjr
10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Water coming out that weep hole means a seal in the water pump (not fresh water pickup pump) has gone bad. I would guess you can just buy one from an auto parts store if you can figure out how to cross reference it and it shouldn't be too difficult a replacement, nor very expensive.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
The leak is created when the bearing for the water pump starts to go bad and runs too hot. The heat melts a wax plug and allows a small amount of water to pass through as an indicator that its time to replace the pump before it self destructs.

Replace with the correct marine water pump. Automotive water pumps have metal internal parts that are kept from rusting by the anti-corrosion additives in the automotive coolant. Without the anti-corrosion package, the pump would fail prematurely.

swatguy
10-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Also was finally able to search around a little and found this on the Indmar page.

7.4 There is a small amount of water dripping from the water-circulating pump on the front of my engine. Is this normal?
Yes, it is not unusual for a small amount of water to drip from the weep hole on the underside of the water-circulating pump. The seal in this pump is cooled and lubricated with water so a small amount of water leaking from the pump is possible. Leak rates of a drop of two every 5-10 seconds is not excessive. Leak rates higher than that or a steady stream of water indicated that the seal has been damaged and the pump should be replaced with a new or remanufactured marine circulating pump.

If you run your boat in extremely shallow water or run it aground, it is possible to draw sand or other debris into the engine, which could damage the circulating pump as well as the seawater pump.

MariStar-Man
10-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the Heads-up Swatguy...!

I think that it's just your girl crying that your not riding her...lol

I didn't even realize that it was there... I like to fire her up every month or so, and it's nearing that time...:D

MIMC
10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Swatguy -

My 2000 LTR in my PS195 just started doing the same thing. I just winterized last weekend and noticed it was leaking - time for a new pump. Anyone have the Mastercraft OEM p/n for a new pump? Price?

Thanks-
MIMC (Leo)

Forrest-X45
10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
On my previous 2000 LTR engine water circulation pump went out the dealer was able to cross reference a Mercury Marine pump instead and the price difference was significant for the exact same pump.
Unfortunately I don't have any of my part numbers or reciepts left from my previous boat because they went to the new owner; otherwise I would be more than happy to share them.

Get a replacement part number for your OEM pump and cross reference with a Mercury Marine pump number.....might save you some money. It sure saved me lots of $$$.