PDA

View Full Version : knock sensor-can it be removed?

91ps190
10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
I've got 06 mcx in a X9 and I would like to know if I can remove the knock sensor and leave it off on one side of the block? I would like to do this for 2 reasons. First to install a shower. Second because it is a pain in the *** to get the plug out of the block for winterizing and I can't find a 1" deep socket. The power of this engine is great but what a PITA to work on. Not too mention the oil filter location.

JimN
10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I've got 06 mcx in a X9 and I would like to know if I can remove the knock sensor and leave it off on one side of the block? I would like to do this for 2 reasons. First to install a shower. Second because it is a pain in the *** to get the plug out of the block for winterizing and I can't find a 1" deep socket. The power of this engine is great but what a PITA to work on. Not too mention the oil filter location.

You need to have both in place. Why can't you use a box or open-end wrench?

1redTA
10-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I believe you can move the sensor to another part of the engine, atleast on LS type blocks. Removing one sensor without putting the right resistor in its place will probably put the engine in "limp mode"

JimN
10-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I believe you can move the sensor to another part of the engine, atleast on LS type blocks. Removing one sensor without putting the right resistor in its place will probably put the engine in "limp mode"

It's not a sensor that sends a variable voltage to the ECM from a reference, like the MAP, TPS or ECT. It's a microphone and if the right frequencies are heard, the ECM pulls the timing back in 5 degree increments. Removing the knock sensor will throw a code and it can't be resolved without re-installing the sensor. I think that motor has one on each side, right? If not, the sensor could be moved but the wire really needs to be spliced with no chance of moisture causing an increase in resistance.

Yellow X9
10-24-2010, 11:47 PM

I have an 05-X9, take the dog house cover off, aint nothing hard about working on this engine, not often you can sit there next to it to work, beats working on a V-Drive motor

ntidsl
10-25-2010, 09:44 AM
is there a difference between that and an 05 mcx set up. my kn0ck sensor clips right off the drain plug and I use a 7/8 box wrench and its easy as pie to get the plug out? interesting.

91ps190
10-25-2010, 12:02 PM
You can get a wrench in there if you hold your mouth right and stand on your head at the right angle but even then it's a 1/8 (if that) of turn at a time. I guess I am just used to the 91 prostar which was so easy to do stuff on. Next time I will remove the doghouse and try it that way.

ntidsl
10-25-2010, 12:10 PM
doghouse is the difference, no doghouse on the 197...lift the engine cover and all is accessible. just winerized for the 4th time yesterday, takes me longer to wash the boat every weekend than it does to winterize. i hear these horror stories about V drive winterization...sound like a PITA. Bummer...