PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sap Removal

Hodge Podge
08-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Anybody ever had tree sap on there seats? :mad:
I cannot get it off. any sugg? :

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Buffed it out on my cars... but that wasn't upholstry.

I wonder if heating it up would help at all? When I get wax on the carpet (;) ) I lay 2-3 paper towels on the carpet, then put a hot iron (no steam) on top. The iron heats up the wax & the paper-towels absorb it.

I have no idea if this would work on tree sap - but it may be worth a try.

MarkP
08-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Try lest oil. Give it a shot in an inconspicuous area first.. http://www.instawares.com/Lestoil-Cleaner-Heavy-Duty-Single-28-oz-Bottle.3391.0.7.htm

You can buy it at the grocery store.
Oh and I think you need a new boating rule, “no trees in the boat”:uglyhamme

Dan K
08-23-2004, 06:41 PM
I have good results with WD-40.
I get it off my cars with it all the time.

ski_king
08-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I have used Goo Gone before with good results. But as said before, try it out in a area out of sight first, just in case.

Are we talking about pine sap or what kind of sap, it does make a differance.

lakes Rick
08-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Enamel Reducer.. Probably have to get it at a paint store..

NOT paint reducer, or Acetone or Lacquer thinner....

Enamel reducer... Then wash your seats well, rinse and apply some sort of treatment.....

captkidd
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
I have no idea if this will work, but my Mom was visiting us this past Sunday, and I happened to look down and see chewing gum on the heel of her shoe. I then saw the trail of gum across our carpet. I remembered reading somewhere to rub the gum with an ice cube and it would come off. Worked great. Just kept rubbing until the gum was gone. Guess she was repaying me for all the things I tracked into the house as a kid.

JimN
08-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Try using a piece of duct tape to get most of it off, using a new spot on teh tape as you go. Then go to the cleaner. The tape may take enough off so there's only a light film left over, then very light oil followed by detergent.

If there's not a lot of it, try windshield washer fluid. It gets sap off of glass and I think it's safe for vinyl, too. Ditto trying it on an inconspicuous place. I tried Goof Off on sap from lumber on my windshield and it didn't work too well. Now that I have more on another window(new garage stringer with pitch pockets) I get to try something else.

Hodge Podge
08-29-2004, 08:22 PM
you said "lightly oil?"
what do you mean?

JimN
08-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I meant use a light oil, not lightly oil. Oil breaks down a lot of substances enough to let them be cleaned up with detergent. It may also work for this. Use tape to get most of it off first, then put a drop or two of oil on it and work it in, then let it sit for awhile. Wipe it and see if the sap comes off, then use a cleaner to get the oil off. Oil works for glue residue from tape and bandages, too. Pine Sol and Murphy's Oil Soap is pretty good for cleaning a lot of things and if you have one of these, see if it says anything on the label about tree sap. Try it on an area that is normally hidden first to see if it discolors before using it on the major surfaces.