PDA

View Full Version : Really Scary Trailer! Help!

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey again,
Today I was boarding and all went well with the boat and trailer...Until I got home. I got out of the car and caught a strong odor of what smelled like burning plastic/rubber. The trailer wheels were so hot it seemed like they were about to CATCH ON FIRE. I washed down the boat and when water hit the wheel it was like putting a grease pan under water in the sink after cooking. THE WHEELS LITERALLY SIZZLED like a fajita tray. All four wheels were extremely hot and oil was leaking from the center of each wheel all the way down the hub and onto the tire and ground. The tires were not hot, just the wheels and all the metal connected. I guess it is hub oil leaking? I did not hear anything grinding or making noise on the way home and I had the window open. It was only a thirty minute drive and I went about 50 mph the whole way. Does anyone have any idea what this might be and how I can fix it or what to do about it. The light/brake connection from the trailer to the car was completely connected. I do not know what the hell happened but I have never seen this in 23 years of dealing with ski/wake boats. PLEASE HELP.....???? Once again, it was on all four wheels. Very odd
Thanks so much to everyone out there. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate this forum.

Jim@BAWS
10-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey again,
Today I was boarding and all went well with the boat and trailer...Until I got home. I got out of the car and caught a strong odor of what smelled like burning plastic/rubber. The trailer wheels were so hot it seemed like they were about to CATCH ON FIRE. I washed down the boat and when water hit the wheel it was like putting a grease pan under water in the sink after cooking. THE WHEELS LITERALLY SIZZLED like a fajita tray. All four wheels were extremely hot and oil was leaking from the center of each wheel all the way down the hub and onto the tire and ground. The tires were not hot, just the wheels and all the metal connected. I guess it is hub oil leaking? I did not hear anything grinding or making noise on the way home and I had the window open. It was only a thirty minute drive and I went about 50 mph the whole way. Does anyone have any idea what this might be and how I can fix it or what to do about it. The light/brake connection from the trailer to the car was completely connected. I do not know what the hell happened but I have never seen this in 23 years of dealing with ski/wake boats. PLEASE HELP.....???? Once again, it was on all four wheels. Very odd
Thanks so much to everyone out there. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate this forum.

Those trailers from 1986 had those kinds of issues. A little WD 40 usually does the trick

WHAT YEAR MAKE AND MODEL???

coz
10-23-2010, 10:16 PM
A little WD 40 usually does the trick

Are you being sarcastic Jim? :confused: should he have someone ride on the fenders while he's going down the road to keep them lubed? :D

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 10:31 PM
It's a 2007 x star trailer. Double Axel. Seems like it's more than a wd 40 issue. Don't know. Any thoughts

Gamble
10-23-2010, 10:56 PM
it's just Jim being a smartazz. It's prolly your wheel bearings or if you have brakes on both axles, maybe your brakes are dragging and/or need attention. Get a jack and lift the trailer up and see if there's slop when you grab the tire. If there is, your bearings are shot.

chunter
10-23-2010, 11:06 PM
is it just me or is Jim a real ***, 90% of your comments are nothing but rude if you dont have anything helpful to say then keep your pie hole shut.
enjoy your time blasting me, i am out of here.
thank you JIM

Table Rocker
10-23-2010, 11:07 PM
If you have brakes on both axles, I would look into the brake "brakeaway" actuator which applies the brakes when it is pulled. It is meant to apply the brakes on the trailer in the event it becomes unhitched from your tow vehicle.

If the bearings went out on all four hubs on the same 50 mile trip, your luck is even worse than mine.

Gamble
10-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Good point from Table Rocker......hadn't thought about the break away thing.......and he's right about the bearings-it's just the only other thing I could think of......but if they did all 4 go out at once......your luck does suck pondwater! Whatever you find, at least you're home and it's fixable. And yes, Jim is a prik with ears. Spoke to him once by phone and he's a prik on the phone too. Not sure why so many folks here continue talking to him.

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Jim, aren't you representing a professional company. Why would you risk your reputation as a knowledgeable mastercraft rep. Please post helpful comments as this is a serious thread. This is my passion and life and I did not spend a ton of money on a boat and join the forum to be told that WD 40 should do the trick. THE DAMN TRAILER ALMOST CAUGHT ON FIRE! Thanks for nothing, and if you have something valuable, please share....otherwise, I dont give a **** about your comment.

As to the Brake Attuenator...I thought if the light/brake hookup was connected then the trailer brakes only engage when you press the brakes on the car. Is there a way to figure out if the trailer brakes are the problem. I would think that I would have heard a noise if the trailer brakes were struggling to stop the trailer the whole ride. I also did not notice in increase in RMP running the car, implying that the brakes on the trailer were trying to press. Maybe I just need to be informed a little more about what you are talking about. Thank you

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Sorry Brake "Breakaway" actuator is what I meant... and what are some reasons that it may be engaged even if the connection between the trailer and car electric hookup is working?

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
and thank you Gamble...I truly appreciate a helpful response. How could I fix this problem if you know?

coz
10-23-2010, 11:41 PM
is it just me or is Jim a real ***, 90% of your comments are nothing but rude if you dont have anything helpful to say then keep your pie hole shut.
thank you JIM

No he's not three stars*** but he is a nice guy that has alot of helpful contributions here and a reputable MC dealership and as for you, you're not.....see ya :D

FrankSchwab
10-23-2010, 11:52 PM
I third the comments - sounds like the brakes are dragging; that'll generate a lot of heat in a thirty minute drive. That's the only likely scenario that would heat up all four wheels.

Do you have oil-bath bearings? If so, it sounds like things got hot enough to melt the seals or o-rings in the system; that would explain the oil leak.

You'll have to inspect the brake system and see what's causing the drag. The breakaway actuator is a good suspect; accidentally releasing that would be a bad thing.

If you're not familiar with trailer brake systems, I'd recommend your dealer or a local Trailer mechanic. Of course, getting it there could be a problem....

/frank

p.s. Ignore the p*ssing contest above. Sometimes it seems like the Tequila flows too freely on Saturday nights.

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 12:06 AM
and thank you Gamble...I truly appreciate a helpful response. How could I fix this problem if you know?

coz
10-24-2010, 12:09 AM
There was a member here a little while ago that was having the same issues from SoCal and he was getting the run around from that MC dealer in Elsinore, anyone remember who that was and how he resolved the problem?

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Im new to the forum so I do not recall anything about the guy from Socal. Thank you though Coz.

Why would the brakes be dragging....

Should I risk taking it to the river tomorrow?

chunter
10-24-2010, 12:18 AM
coz based on the posts i have seen from you most of the time it appears that you and Jim share a bed with regard to your level of respect for others real concerns most of the time. and i am not drunk i am just aware of an @$$ when i see one.
As for Jims dealership i hope and would assume that he is not the same person face to face as he is most of the time on the forum. in the beginning i had considered call him for all of my needs even though it is about as far across the country from me as one could be. but right now i am really thinking otherwise.

coz
10-24-2010, 12:27 AM
and i am not drunk i am just aware of an @$$ when i see one.

So pull you head out of it and leave like you said you were. I don't care what you think and I'm not going to jack this guys thread anymore.

Gamble
10-24-2010, 12:28 AM
try jacking up one side of the trailer and grab the wheel and see if you can spin it freely. If not, I'd def. not consider taking it anywhere-see if you can find a buddy nearby that can assist in fixing it. If you only have brakes on one axle-which I kinda think you do, then it may not be the brakes at all. Again, I'd like to think all 4 bearings didnt go south all at the same time. If you do have brakes on both, then that's the likely culprit. I'm not much help on the oil bath hubs. If the bearings are bad, the wheel will wobble when you lift it up, and sound horrible while spinning it. Hope this helps you.

coz
10-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Im new to the forum so I do not recall anything about the guy from Socal. Thank you though Coz.

Not sure where you are but the river was a 4 hour drive from where I use to live in OC so I'd atleast have someone who knows about trailers take a look, that's a long haul with alot of $$ at stake if something terrible goes wrong.

chunter
10-24-2010, 12:35 AM
coz, grow up, i am really thinking about staying around now this is good, and the constant complaining about thread jacking on this thread is getting old.

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Gamble, first of all, thanks for being helpful and not posting pointless crap on the thread. And I agree, I think the brakes were dragging, causing the bearings to overheat, break and therefore melt the seal and that is why I saw oil dripping from the wheel. I will try to jack it up tomorrow and see what is going on. Hopefully any marine dealership can fix the problem because my mastercraft dealership is two hours away. I have many other marine dealerships within 5 miles. Do you think the dealership can work on the trailer with a huge X-Star sitting on it?

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Thank you Gamble, Frank, and Table Rocker... and to everyone else...do you have a life? Please stop taking up space on this thread *****ing at each other. Start your own "Lets ***** at each other" thread". Seems to me it will be the most active thread on the whole damn website. Goodnight to all with good intentions. I appreciate the help from the guys who actually helped.

Gamble
10-24-2010, 12:43 AM
won't matter at all w/the boat on it. Join the forum though-it still has you listed as a Guest. I'd be curious to see if you have brakes on both axles. The break away deal should have a cord that hooks to your tow vehicle. The other end should be in the master cylinder. If the master cylinder doesn't have the cord coming out of it then that's your problem, meaning your trailer thinks it came unhooked from your tow vehicle and is going to lock the brakes up.

DeVrieski
10-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Something like this happened on my brothers boat last year. He has a 22' wakeboard boat with dual axles. When he was hooking up the boat, the cable that goes to the truck and triggers the breaks if it becomes separated from the truck, somehow got tripped. So, it basically locked the breaks up on the trailer, but my brother didn't notice it. He was pulling it with a diesel so it wasn't really noticeable. About 30 minutes down the road he looked back and the wheels were smoking. He had to replace the entire brake system. It didn't damage the bearings so he was fortunate there. Under the tongue on your trailer you should have a lever which you can press to make sure the brakes are not engaged. It is a good practice to press this every time before towing as I have had my brakes engaged several times on my MC.

sand2snow22
10-24-2010, 12:49 AM
First, check to make sure your emergency cable didn't get pulled. I had the same problem with my 05 trailer, turns out the back calipers were stuck closed. Slowing to a stop to get gas, get out of the rig and it smells like burning brakes/clutch. Wheels and tires, hotter than you know what. New pads and calipers from my dealer installed, fluid flush, good as new.

Also, might want to send Sodar a PM and make sure your trailer is riding at the correct level. If not he should chime in by Monday.

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Hmm, The breakaway cord may have been the problem. It is connected to the trailer and I hook it to the car but it may have come off of the car during the ride. If it does not sense pressure, will it engage the brakes. I usually tow it with it hooked loosely and have not had a problem?

DeVrieski
10-24-2010, 01:00 AM
It only engages the breaks if it is tugged hard enough to either remove the pin or trigger the switch (trailers have different mechanisms) Dragging on the ground shouldn't cause a problem unless it gets snagged on something hard enough to tug it. Did you try feeling under the tongue directly under the master cylinder? There should be a lever/button/switch that you can depress to release the breaks.

coz
10-24-2010, 01:03 AM
If it does not sense pressure, will it engage the brakes. I usually tow it with it hooked loosely and have not had a problem?

It should take a pretty good tug to engage it and if it's like mine it has a safety cap over it (the wire comming out) that's kinda like a break away deal that opens if there's a good pull on it.

Hrkdrivr
10-24-2010, 01:07 AM
I'd be curious to see if you have brakes on both axles.

OP said he has an '07 X-Star, so it probably has brakes on all four wheels; our '06 X-45 does and the X-Start is probably nearly as heavy.

Out trailer had one wheel heat up like you mentioned, brake caliper hadn't released after a long, slow brake application after which I wasn't able to give the coupling a good yank on the acceleration, since I hadn't reached a full stop and I pull with a diesel (not much "jerk" on acceleration if already moving). Ended up blowing the sidewall out of that tire.

As for Jim, he's good people with a dry sense of humor, which sometimes doesn't translate well in print. Ignore Chunter. I suspect he's a regular who has a beef w/Jim and doesn't have the courage to comment under his real nic.

sand2snow22
10-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Hmm, The breakaway cord may have been the problem. It is connected to the trailer and I hook it to the car but it may have come off of the car during the ride. If it does not sense pressure, will it engage the brakes. I usually tow it with it hooked loosely and have not had a problem?

Like Devriski said. Look for the emergency cable on the trailer, there should be a clip on the cable very near the tongue. If it is pulled away from the tongue, it most likely called pulled....

Maristar210
10-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Wow guys. Take it easy on Jim. He has been here and will be her for a while to help you all with your troubles. He is not everyones friend but he could help you with this question...

bturner2
10-24-2010, 10:19 AM
If a local boat dealer won't help an RV shop should be able to help you out with your trailer if there's one close by. I wouldn't recommend moving the trailer anywhere until you figure out what's locking the brakes up. As others have stated the most likely culprit is going to be the break away cable which is just a steel wire with an "S" hook on it. Once pulled it has to be released manually by a lever on the bottom of the actuator. If for some reason you can't get the actuator to release a last resort method to get the trailer to move without additional damage would be to loosen a brake line slowly to drain the fluid thus releasing the brakes. Be aware that this would be a last resort procedure to get the boat to a shop and that you will have no brakes after you do this.

As for the repair...... Based on what you've described if it were my trailer I'd replace the pads, calipers, bearings, seals and would flush the brake fluid. When parts get as hot as you describe even if they're not bad now they will be soon and will most likely fail.

As for Jim.... Sounds like Jim's dry humor caught you at a bad time. He's made helpful suggestions to several of my posts and I've seen him do this for others on a regular basis. I seriously doubt he meant to be overly offensive or any ill will towards you.

Good luck with your efforts. Please let us know what you find out.

DooSPX
10-24-2010, 10:23 AM
So pull you head out of it and leave like you said you were. I don't care what you think and I'm not going to jack this guys thread anymore.

agreed! :cool:

DooSPX
10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I am leaning towards the braking system as well...

Good luck and please let us know the out come.

As for Jim, If you treat him with respect, you get the same or more back. Jim and Chuck from BAWS have ALWAYS bent over backwards for me and other people I know who have dealt with him.
If you do not show someone respect, you should not expect to get any back.

FancySauceRules
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I had this happen. On mine, the break line got pinched inside the tongue when at the dealer having some work done. Luckily I caught it before it caused damage.

oldairboater
10-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Your brakes engaged and got your tires,hubs, and brakes very hot. There is damage or adverse wear there and you need to check your brake system, bearing, seals and tires. Best to get the boat off of the trailer. It is easier and safer with the boat removed to work on this stuff. From the nature of your question I have to wonder about your mechanical skills. This job could be beyond you and you might consider a professional shop. Just my opinion. Sitting on the side of the road with a damaged spindle and burnt up bearings doesn't look like fun to me. Never had that problem but I see it quite often where I live.

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks to everyone who has helped me out... Today being Sunday, I will not be able to get an expert opinion until tomorrow. I WILL let everyone know what happened. And to Jim, sorry about the rude response. I don't really know you or your sense of humor and looking back on it, your comment was funny. I was just extremely stressed and pissed at the time. Once again, thank you all and I will let you know the outcome. Does anyone have any idea how much it is going to cost (worst case scenario)...new brakes, bearings, seal, fluid, etc.. the works? After something like this I want to replace everything. Those wheels were so hot you could have fried an egg on them. I am not qualified so an expert will be necessary.

Miss Rita
10-24-2010, 01:21 PM
A logical analysis:

All four wheels were hot, eliminates the possibility of all four bearings going bad simultaneously.
only other source of heat is the brakes
what would cause all four brakes to actuate simultaneously?
either the safety cable was pulled, or there's a kink in the brake line that doesn't allow pressure to release. Maybe the master cylinder is gummed up, maybe a rebuild is in order.

Any trailer shop, RV dealer, or boat dealer should be able to handle this. There's no need to take the boat off the trailer. It's not a MasterCraft problem, it's a trailer problem.

coz
10-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who has helped me out... Today being Sunday, I will not be able to get an expert opinion until tomorrow. I WILL let everyone know what happened. And to Jim, sorry about the rude response. I don't really know you or your sense of humor and looking back on it, your comment was funny. I was just extremely stressed and pissed at the time. Once again, thank you all and I will let you know the outcome. Does anyone have any idea how much it is going to cost (worst case scenario)...new brakes, bearings, seal, fluid, etc.. the works? After something like this I want to replace everything. Those wheels were so hot you could have fried an egg on them. I am not qualified so an expert will be necessary.

Good call and good luck. I wouldn't want to hear about you being stuck between Indio and Desert Center or Blythe....there aint nothing out there as you know :D

cbryan70
10-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Steve.....have you been drinking

JohnE
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Steve.....have you been drinking

My thoughts, too...:D

Really some thin skin here lately. Jim doesn't immediately diagnose the problem and gets flamed. He's helped plenty of people here. Want instant results, take it to your local dealer. Want free advice? Put out the question here and it'll likely get answered fairly quickly. Complain about threadjacking? Find a different forum. Threadjacking is the norm around here.

CantRepeat
10-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Really some thin skin here lately. Jim doesn't immediately diagnose the problem and gets flamed. He's helped plenty of people here. Want instant results, take it to your local dealer. Want free advice? Put out the question here and it'll likely get answered fairly quickly. Complain about threadjacking? Find a different forum. Threadjacking is the norm around here.

How about them Yankees?

Archimedes
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Newbs ripping on Jim.:rolleyes:

OP, good idea to search the forum before posting your Q and/or ripping on others. This problem has been discussed on here about 1,100 times before. Bearings or brakes.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Flaming Jim just ain't right.

Jim is flaming is a whole nother thing.:rolleyes::D:D

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2010, 05:42 PM

I hate that sh!t too...........................................

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
thank you JIM

Wow, Maybe some hormone replacement therapy would help................... :flipa:

coz
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
coz based on the posts i have seen from you most of the time it appears that you and Jim share a bed

[/B]

I hate that sh!t too...........................................

Can you guys please keep it down in here, I just woke up but Jim's still sleeping he had a rough night and I don't want him to wake up, we're going clubbing in Miami tonight and I want him to be on his best cuz he really knows how to bust a move :D

Yellow X9
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM

I think, i'd fix / Solve the trailor break issue first, before heading to the river. Before the trailor brake problems gets worst. I would check the hubs cover plate-or what ever you call it. I had a simular problem 2 yrs ago, replaced all 4 and problem solved

Yellow X9
10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
2nd cure..............

Hrkdrivr
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
How about them Yankees?

As a Boston fan, I second that!!

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I thought jim was str8??

coz
10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I thought jim was str8??

Not according to chunt :rolleyes: and BTW, the ch is pronounced with a K sound :D

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
There are a few "guests" here that would not get a return invite to the casa............

kevkan
10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
My '08 trailer doesn't have the break-away cable... or else it was removed before I bought the boat used.

Does the "problem" trailer have the foldable tongue? is it possible for a brake line to get kinked or something while folding the tongue, and cause the brakes to drag?

Jim@BAWS
10-24-2010, 08:43 PM
I thought jim was str8??

Far from it...He is a LESBO..always has been always will be. He likes women!!!

Now for a more down to earth comment

My GOSH take it for what it is....A JOKE!!! Ya come on here wanting help for your trailer
What year make and model??? Sorry not a MIND READER!!!
X stars have been produced now over 10 years!!!

Look...one of you Kodiac Calipers is locking up. In all seriousness(SP) replace with a
1986 are Pontiac GrandAM Reliable caliper.

PS Go have a BEER and relax. I am sorry that some of you have had to put your babies down till next spring....but man o man. Next time leave a better explanation of what you need vs having to read your mind.... That was why I put it in LARGE BLUE letters vs. RED or in ALL CAPS..

If you would have done a little search on the site you would also see that this has been covered time and time again

Have a GOOD EVENING!!! Jezzzz

Jim@BAWS

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Jim looks good in spike heels??

xstarondabayou
10-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry, like I said I am new and am not familiar with internet forums at all. In fact, this is the first I have ever been on. I did not know I could just search for it, but now I know and I thank you for that. How much do the 1986 Calipers that you are referring to cost? It looks like I am going to need to rebuild the whole thing...what do you think?
It matters because you are a mastercraft professional.

TOO-TALL
10-24-2010, 11:36 PM
I did just the oppisite.I Removed the Reliable calipers and put on Kodiak Calipers on my trailer.
No problems in two years.
Calipers will run 60-80 dollars per caliper.
Also you said there was oil running out the hub and down on the wheel.
When the rim gets that hot the seal in the hub will exspand or even melt leting out the oil.
So I would get new hub seals also.

chunter
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
to all involved especially Jim and Coz.
after reading all the posts again i am now aware of the nature of the comment by Jim and that it was not meant to be rude. I went off the deep end unnecessarily and i am sorry for that. i was not aware of Jim's sense of humor and now i am. Coz i am sorry for blasting you with unnecessary non sense and in the future i will just read and let it be if it gets me the wrong way right off the bat. as for the thread jacking i understand how i did not benefit to the conversation and i am sorry for taking from the potential to learn and resolve the situation. also i am not hiding under a phantom screen name i am just a one screen name guy.
caleb

squishd
10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
The same thing happened to our trailer. What the cause was was a pinched line when we folded the tailer hitch back together. After the line was un pinched the brakes worked like normal.

MariStar-Man
10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
The same thing happened to our trailer. What the cause was was a pinched line when we folded the tailer hitch back together. After the line was un pinched the brakes worked like normal.

On my trailer, It has a fold up tounge, and when i folded it, the lines inside stretched towards the front of the trailer.

When I put the tounge back down, the lines didn't retract, but instead folded or pinched the line just slightly.

After 3 days of trouble shooting calipers, and having the entire system bled, I saw the brake line pinched just aft of the Metal brake line tube.

Due to rust inside the trailer tube, and an old-not-as-flexible brake line, this problem occoured.

Welcome to TT!

MariStar-Man
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info...

TXMC-06X2
10-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I had the same thing happen to my oil bath hubs. The o-ring was pinched in threads of the oil bath cover and leaked the oil. This causesd the bearings to get hot enough to melt the oil bath covers. I wanted to tell you this becasue my dealer was able to get MC to get me the new metal oil bath hubs for free. Apperantly they have been having some major problems with the older plastic covers.

flipper
10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Can you guys please keep it down in here, I just woke up but Jim's still sleeping he had a rough night and I don't want him to wake up, we're going clubbing in Miami tonight and I want him to be on his best cuz he really knows how to bust a move :D
You and Jim had a rough night huh? Interesting:confused:

If you were looking for a new boat or trailer Jim would be the first to help. Being that you just need a little help, good luck.

Like others have said, check you brakes first, and there is a good chance you'll need bearings and seals.

BNIROOSTER
10-25-2010, 06:29 PM

Thats not how it works, sometimes if you turn sharp it can activate the brakes. You want some slack in the line. As to the other comment you made about the brake wire/backup light it only sends a signal to DISENGAGE the brakes while backing up. Most trailers have surge brakes that use the weight of the boat and trailer to to activate when the tow vehicles slows. There is also a reset under the tongue that can sometimes lock up and cause the brakes to partially engage, check it and push it upwards and see if it frees up the wheels while you have it jacked up.

ahhudgins
10-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I agree with other posters that you should check with a buddy who knows a thing or two about brakes. Whether it's surge or electric brakes, both systems are pretty simple for any shade tree machanic. (Well, it should be). You never did mention whether you have surge or electric brakes, or the foldable tongue. After what you described, I wouldn't leave the driveway until someone has looked at it.

Are you really towing it with a car? Pictures?

flipper
10-25-2010, 07:05 PM
after reading all the posts again i am now aware of the nature of the comment by Jim and that it was not meant to be rude. I went off the deep end unnecessarily and i am sorry for that. i was not aware of Jim's sense of humor and now i am. Coz i am sorry for blasting you with unnecessary non sense and in the future i will just read and let it be if it gets me the wrong way right off the bat. as for the thread jacking i understand how i did not benefit to the conversation and i am sorry for taking from the potential to learn and resolve the situation. also i am not hiding under a phantom screen name i am just a one screen name guy.
caleb

Don't be sorry, they have thick skin

coz
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
caleb

Don't be sorry, they have thick skin

Honestly, no worries man! Like flip said, I've been hit harder by some of the regs here and still got up, It's a tough crowd but once you get to know them they're a bunch of softies with valuable info once the pun is done :D

carracer
10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry, like I said I am new and am not familiar with internet forums at all. In fact, this is the first I have ever been on. I did not know I could just search for it, but now I know and I thank you for that. How much do the 1986 Calipers that you are referring to cost? It looks like I am going to need to rebuild the whole thing...what do you think?
It matters because you are a mastercraft professional.

suck a_ _ :):):)----joke

95prostar
10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
suck a_ _ :):):)----joke

no disrespect here but i think we have a troll or two. anybody that would want help to this level would have registered. just my opinion. this place is full of people with great knowledge and help. no need to get anybody fired up. 69 replies and the issue is still running....

Thrall
10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Not sure if you got it figured out yet, but if not, I think it's one of probably 3 things in order of likely hood. Since all 4 wheels got hot that means it's gotta be the brakes. I mean what are the odds of having 4 bad bearings or 4 selas leak out at the same time. Jack the wheels up and see if they're hanging up.
First, the breakaway may have tripped and you were dragging the boat with the brakes on. Did it feel like it weighed twice as much that day?
2nd, if you hadn't excercised the trailer/brakes for awhile, could be that all 4 calipers were/are hanging up from corrosion. If this is the case, take the brakes apart, assuming they're still functional and antiseize the bushings that the calipers float on. It's very common for these calipers to corrode a little and cause the brakes to hang up.
3rd, could be a pinched line in the foldaway tongue keeping a slight pressure on the brakes.
Whatever it is, if they were hot enough to make the selas leak, you're in for 4 new caps 4 new rear wheel seals and I'd replace the bearings/races when you're in there, they are cheap compared to the labor to pull everything apart and reassemble.

Oh, and if your trip was a primarily downhill run, could just be that the surge brake actuator/master cylinder didn't release fully due to the trailer "pushing" the truck downhill.
Get in the habit of acccelerating hard at the bottom of a downhill run or even part ways down if it's a long hill to put some tension on the trailer momentarily to get the brakes to fully release. It's just a trait of surge brakes.

carracer
10-26-2010, 12:39 PM
no disrespect here but i think we have a troll or two. anybody that would want help to this level would have registered. just my opinion. this place is full of people with great knowledge and help. no need to get anybody fired up. 69 replies and the issue is still running....

agree, after all the info gained is cheap!!!!!!!!!

Jim@BAWS
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I was reveiwing this link today...that had been bumped to the top....I guess you do not recall who
jumped in first to help you out over a bad weekend...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38222

Sodar
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I was reveiwing this link today...that had been bumped to the top....I guess you do not recall who
jumped in first to help you out over a bad weekend...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38222

TX.X-30fan?

flipper
10-27-2010, 02:13 PM
That was my first guess with maristar210 a close second

Jim@BAWS
10-27-2010, 03:34 PM
OK inline with many many contributers who tried to help out

I guess it is that NEW math and glasses that I need. I feel of my high heels the other day also

dyarbrough68
03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
your brakes are locked up, it happened to me