PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Ballast Upgrade WAKE PICS

xstarondabayou
10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
What's up y'all.... I am currently about to add the Fly High additional X-Star ballast system to my 2007 X-Star SS. It supposedly adds about 2500 lbs. Does anyone have any wake pics of their x-star with the system installed? I would really appreciate the pics and speed while taken. Also any feedback about the system is more than welcome. Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated.

Ole Miss Rebels
10-23-2010, 12:31 AM
i have it in my boat but we never use it for wakeboarding because we aren't good enough riders to warrant it. it is for surfing. i did a few things differently and it works really well. on the front bags, instead of the port bag filling first and then overflowing into the starboard bag i sent the hose up front and put a "T" on it. the "T" feeds each bag simultaneously. then, just before each bag i put a cut-off valve so i can fill either side independently of the other for surfing, or i cna fill them boat simultaneously for wakeboarding. the venting had to be thought out, however. the starboard bag up front has it's own vent out the side hull which means drilling into your gelcoat. the starboard bag vents into the factory kgb vent. each vent has it's own check valve. a little more trouble and expense but it makes the system much more versatile. i wouldn't have it any other way since i surf a lot.

vision
10-23-2010, 09:04 AM
One other consideration is whether to use both the built in rear hard tanks and the bags in the back.

For surfing, using both is beneficial. But for wakeboarding, if you use only the bags and not the hard tanks, you can get a good wake, excellent lip, but with less overall weight. The rear tanks center of mass is relatively forward when compared to the bags. So the bags do a better job of sinking the rear of the boat and giving you a better lip.

We actually have the pumps simply fill the bags and not the rear tanks, and have a fairly massive wake. We do fill both front bags and the built in center ballast.

You may want to manually fill the bags and experiment with how you like the wake before plumping everything.

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I appreciate the input. I have ridden behind my boat with factory ballast and about twelve people in the boat so I would imagine the wake would be similar to the size it was that day. Ole Miss Rebel, would you be able to send a pic of the wake when going 23-24 with all of your ballast full (Stock+aftermarket) so that I can get an idea of how big the wake will be? If not, I understand but I would be very thankful.

duckguy
10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
my 08 22mph 4 people, pro tour ballast.

TallRedRider
10-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I know that you were looking for wake pics, but they are generally useless, IMHO until you have been on that particular wake.

You asked about any other feedback, here is the proper install procedure.

xstarondabayou
10-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks everyone. Currently riding stock with a 450 bag on each side of the engine and two people in the boat. GREAT WAKE. The pic from duckguy gives me a good idea of what it would be like. Thanks again

chippy1971
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
guys this is all great information but I am just not sure how the bags ever get emptied. I can see how they are vented for over flow but I cannot see how they are emptied.

Does the flow go back into the onboard tanks first and then they pump the water back out.

That is what I cannot understand.

TallRedRider
10-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes. The water simply flows by gravity back into the hard tanks from the sacks and gets pumped out normally.

Like some have mentioned, they like to use the sacks without the tanks being filled and I haven't exactly seen how they rig that up. But you need an extra valve and such for each tanK for that.

Ole Miss Rebels
10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
my bags don't empty by flowing back through the hard tanks. i have manual valves that i switch to fill and empty the bags after i fill/empty the hard tanks. one issue in setting up the way fly-high suggests is that the front starboard bag has to flow uphill to empty by flowing back through the front port bag. my modification allows the bag to empty from it's lowest point without having to flow back up-hill while going through the ladder compartment on an xstar.

TallRedRider
10-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Ole Miss,

I think you are referring to the cheesy diagram that is found about 2/3 of the way down here on the fly high website:http://www.barefootinternational.com/flyhigh/FATSACS.bifh

But that is not the way that fly high recommends it be done, since both of us know it does not work when you do it the way they have it diagrammed there. I nearly imploded my KGB doing it that way. The PDF file I attached above was actually written by Fly High, IIUC. And it describes doing it the way you recommend, with pics and all. The other reason I do not believe they want you to do it like the website is that the ports exist in the exact right positions to do it the way you described and the way it is in the PDF file I attached above.

The take home message for someone reading this is that if you want to just overflow into the sacks, do it like in the PDF file I attached. It has pictures and all. And that has worked perfectly for me. If you want to be able to fill sacks without filling tanks first, then you will need some valves, like Ole Miss does. And I am not sure how that is done.

Jerseydave
10-25-2010, 08:33 AM
'05 X-star....my setup for ballast.

-Disconnect both rear hard tanks
-Connect 2 400# fatsacs to the existing hoses, but install a check valve in each overflow hose.
-750# fatsac in walkway connect to a hose from the KGB overflow. This way I still have all of my storage under the front seats for gear, wakesurfboards, etc. Plus my carpet under those seats in always dry (because sac fitting do leak sometimes)
The 750 sac will empty first, but after it does you must disconnect the hose (quick fitting) so the KGB tank does not get sucked in while it is emptying.

For us the wake is awesome and we are at around 2500# total so it's lighter than the flyhigh system and probably better on gas. I can't see needing more than this....our best rider can nail 540's, mobes, etc with no problems. Not to mention way cheaper than the flyhigh system too.

xstarondabayou
10-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I appreciate all of the feedback. I have been running my stock + two 450 lb bags on each side of the engine and the wake is more than ample. I am just an air junky and like to take things a little too far sometimes. Your ideas and set ups have given me plenty of ideas. Thanks guys and if anyone has anymore wake pics, please show them off. I can get a good feel of wake size from a picture

jason@wakemakers.com
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
There is some confusion in this thread because TallRedRider is referencing an install where the additional bags are filled from the overflow of the factory hard tank. That's the same setup as our pre-packaged Mastercraft specific PiggyBack products, and works very well.

The complete system that xstarondabayou is referring to includes the flow control valves for diverting the flow of water to either the factory tanks, or the auxiliary bags. In that scenario the factory pumps fill and drain each tank or bag directly depending on which position the distribution valve is set to.

Both systems work well, Fly High's Complete X-Star kit just gives you some extra control and flexibility in where you put the weight (but it also costs more).

jason@wakemakers.com
11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
We've updated the configuration for the bow bags so they fill in parallel instead of series, and any kits purchased from us will include all of the components to do that (Fly High does not include them by default, so it's up to the retailer to include that).