PDA

View Full Version : Replacement, automatic bilge pumps

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Our '04 205v has rear and center bilge pumps. 1 froze up so I ordered 2 new Rule-Mate 750's (direct replacement). Problem is that the design has changed and they are bigger than the original. I had to change the placement of the rear pump, which wasn't a big deal. However, the center pump won't fit in the same spot (between skeg mounting bolts) in any orientation. The only option might be to move it to where it interferes with the center drain plug...which isn't an option for me.

I could order some of the old version, but that's just delaying the inevitable. I'd really like to run the same pumps center and aft for quick swap if one fails (the center pump is the low point for water collection).

Information I received from Attwood makes me believe their automated bilge pumps will be too big in that space also. Other pumps seems to be non-automatic unless you add a separate "float" sensor.

I guess my question is, has anyone run across the same issue with these new automated bilge pumps and how have you worked around it?

Thanks,
Paul

tcmercil
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I ran into the same issue with my x1 - I had to return my Rule-Mate and order up a smaller other manufacturer pump for my front pump...

A hassle - yes - not sure why they changed the design/size of it...

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I ran into the same issue with my x1 - I had to return my Rule-Mate and order up a smaller other manufacturer pump for my front pump...

A hassle - yes - not sure why they changed the design/size of it...

Is your replacement an automatic pump? If you can get a minute to look at the brand, I'd appreciate it.

I think they changed their "float" from a "float" to some kind of "sensor".

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
After my last old version Rule-mate 750 went out this spring (it was throwing the breaker), I was forced to try to find a way to make the new one fit. I found that if I trimmed the pump hose barb back 2 teeth and a little of the straight on the hose, I was able to orient the pump and get it to set down in the bilge. After drilling the new holes with my Dremel handcraft tool (regular drill would not fit), all that was left was to put sealant on the old and new holes and then mount it up!

jpcarter
03-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes, same here...I just moved it and sealed the old holes. Use a drill hole depth limiter of some kind!