PDA

View Full Version : Ballast check vavles

CantRepeat
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Since I have my pumps out for an impeller change I'm checking over the rest of the system.

I pulled one of the check valves going to the ouflow on the side of the boat. It is manufactured by Spears Mfg and has a bunch of numbers on it.

S1520-10F
BACFEA 1

I don't have a clue as to which is the part number.

The valve in it is a little flapper type valve and I'm wondering how air tight it should be when closed. When in the closed position there is still air passing through the valve. Should it be completely closed?

Thanks.

CantRepeat
10-20-2010, 12:01 PM
S1520-10F is the correct part number

CantRepeat
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Another quick question about the system configuration.

There is one large feeder line going into the manifold with a 3 inch valve on it and then coming out of the manifold there are two 1 inch valves going to the sides of the boat. I check the entire line for the middle hard tank and could not find a valve on it either before or after the tank. Is this correct?

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-22-2010, 12:06 PM
You are talking the PVC swing check valves, correct? If yes, from what I remember of the stock MC ballast setups, yes...that is correct. The check vavle on the intake line forces water out the side empty lines. The check valves on the empty line insure the pumps prime to pull water from the lake/tanks. If they weren't there, the pumps would just pull air when trying to fill. <--- that's a good point to remember if you are having a problem filling and your pumps are working and impellars look good. The swing in the check valve can get hung up. You could probably blow into your empty line to confirm.

Take care,
Paul

CantRepeat
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks.

I did pull both the check valves out. One had a chunk of broken black impeller in it and the other side would not close completely. One of my pumps had an old black impeller(missing a fin), one had a burned up looking yellow impeller, and one had a new green impeller.

It also seems the pump that had the impeller facing up is pretty close to being gone. So, replace all the impellers, changed out the leaking check valve and maybe a motor and see what happens.