PDA

View Full Version : Norris Lake, House Suggestions

209er
10-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Need some suggestions as to house rentals. There are 23 of us, 5 couples and 13 kids. We typically rent a double decker pontoon with slide for the kids and we have two MasterCrafts-Maristar & Prostar 209. So we like to have 2 covered boat slips with an area to dock the pontoon boat. We've stayed in Deerfield area before, now looking for one single house, large enough for all of us. We've looked into Lakeside Resorts but it's too iffy getting the pontoon boat under the bridge. We're open to any part of the lake. Suggestions??

2RLAKE
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Could you split up into two houses? There are two rentals in our cove (Big Creek) that would accommodate everyone and both have covered slips. The houses are basically across the cove from each other

sk8salomon
10-20-2010, 04:32 PM
we have stayed here before with many couples. nice because you still have privacy in each cabin. only negative thing was i didn't like not being close to my boat. have to walk/drive down the road to boat dock.
http://www.thecabinsatnorrislake.com/

Double D
10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Need some suggestions as to house rentals. There are 23 of us, 5 couples and 13 kids. We typically rent a double decker pontoon with slide for the kids and we have two MasterCrafts-Maristar & Prostar 209. So we like to have 2 covered boat slips with an area to dock the pontoon boat. We've stayed in Deerfield area before, now looking for one single house, large enough for all of us. We've looked into Lakeside Resorts but it's too iffy getting the pontoon boat under the bridge. We're open to any part of the lake. Suggestions??

I have no suggestions, sorry. But will be viewing this thread a lot for suggestions by others. I see your from Northeast Ohio. Where abouts do you take your boat?

209er
10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Not really with our setup, but thanks for the suggestion.

209er
10-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Double D - we pretty much go to W. Branch. I grew up skiing on Shenango Res in PA, had slalom course but like all lakes around us, at noon you were done because of all the rookies.

jkski
10-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Depending on the age of the kids and the budget you have, you might consider getting a couple of houseboats. We did this a few years back with a group of 25 and it worked very well, granted it is close quarters, but the way these houseboats are setup anymore, they are basically a floating condo.
We are at Westbranch a lot on the weekends so I am sure we have passed each other at some point. We are typically done with all skiing activities by about 9am at the latest then its time to sit back and watch the weekend wally show. Next time you are out there and see a 40th Anniv. PS197 flag us down.

Double D
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Double D - we pretty much go to W. Branch. I grew up skiing on Shenango Res in PA, had slalom course but like all lakes around us, at noon you were done because of all the rookies.

We keep to Berlin Lake which is South of Westbranch due to the fact that there are area's where we can ski on and off most of the day. Mornings are very good and early morning is barefoot time. Wally time happens throughout the day but not as bad as large open areas.

I also can tell you that a group of people on Berlin are in the process of trying to put a slalom course on the lake. Even though my brother and I are not Slalom skiers we have been asked to be part of it since we are on the lake a lot and are part of that select few that live in the comp boat world.

Maybe worth a visit next year while the water is up. It's not as clean as WB, but hey, "Ski It, Don't Drink it!"

Double D
10-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Depending on the age of the kids and the budget you have, you might consider getting a couple of houseboats. We did this a few years back with a group of 25 and it worked very well, granted it is close quarters, but the way these houseboats are setup anymore, they are basically a floating condo.
We are at Westbranch a lot on the weekends so I am sure we have passed each other at some point. We are typically done with all skiing activities by about 9am at the latest then its time to sit back and watch the weekend wally show. Next time you are out there and see a 40th Anniv. PS197 flag us down.

If you hook up with jkski, make sure the Bee Gee's aren't on the radio... :D:D

209er
10-21-2010, 08:07 PM
We'll keep an eye out for you guys. We try to avoid the weekends on the lake (sounds goofy, I know) but we usually go out on Tuesday & Friday afternoons when there's not much of a crowd unlike the weekends. We've been to Berlin several times and not long ago went to Portage Lakes. Not sure about the skiing but the restaurants and bars were cool. I've had so many near misses/accidents with the weekend idiots that if we go out, it's tubing time and cove time. The young ones in my family are hard to drag out of bed for the early good water.

Double D
10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
We'll keep an eye out for you guys. We try to avoid the weekends on the lake (sounds goofy, I know) but we usually go out on Tuesday & Friday afternoons when there's not much of a crowd unlike the weekends. We've been to Berlin several times and not long ago went to Portage Lakes. Not sure about the skiing but the restaurants and bars were cool. I've had so many near misses/accidents with the weekend idiots that if we go out, it's tubing time and cove time. The young ones in my family are hard to drag out of bed for the early good water.

We hit Portage Lakes a few times this summer but only to eat and have a few drinks. I think I opened her up twice in the small ski/speed area but thats a joke. Here is a picture from Portage Lakes at the Harbor.

With me its the wife getting up early. My son is up and ready by the time we reach the lake.

BTW, sorry to jack this thread. Any lucking finding a house on Norris? Can anyone help?

209er
10-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah we found a house in Deerfield that fits our needs. http://tour.circlepix.com/tour.htm?id=593385. Looks great, we're looking forward to it.