PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Prostar 190

KScherf
10-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I am looking to buy this boat, I am not sure if Mastercraft engines were manufactured/modified by Summit Racing. Am I dealing with a previous owner built motor?

Miss Rita
10-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Indmar built the engine that came with that boat. If the engine has Summit Racing stickers all over it might be really good, or really bad. Automotive racing engines aren't the ticket for ski boats.

KScherf
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM
The Summit Racing is on the valve cover cap, what do you mean might be really good, really bad?

dmminfla
10-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Summit Racing is an auto parts dealer that stocks some parts that will be fine in your 351. They do also sell marine parts like the holly 4160, marine alternators and starters which you should never substatute with automotive parts. I highly doubt that the engine was built by by them. The sticker probably came with a part.

http://www.summitracing.com/

Miss Rita
10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
If someone built a high performance automotive engine and put it in the boat, that would be really bad. That era of boat is rarely run above 4k rpm, so you don't want a high rpm engine. If someone built the engine with appropriate marine parts, you might have a gem. The OEM engine was rated at 250 HP. It's not hard to build a torquer carbed engine with 300 HP that will give you all the hole shot you could ever want. If someone just threw a few Summit stickers on the OEM Indmar engine, well then you gotta figure out if the engine is any good after twenty years.

Kyle
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
The only difference is the freeze plugs. Make sure that they are brass. Brass is there for saltwater or brackish water. A 351 is a 351, and when you have a marine engine the only thing is the plugs. When I had to get a new one I had the engine builder put in brass plugs. Other that that they are the same block. As far as pistons the pistons that came in the boat were not anything special and are not marine. If the previous owner added upgraded pistons then you are ahead of the game.

Are the heads cast or alluminum. If they are cast then you will have some notches on the end of the head that will indicate the style of head.

I would not worry about the engine.

Kyle
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Another thing to think about is that the previous owner may have added the gt40 cam and the stickers came with the cam. If he changed the heads and cam to make it a gt40 engine then there should be nothing wrong with it. The bottom ends are all the same.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Summit Racing sends a sheet of stickers in every order. Chance are the previous owner just put the stickers on there. Did you ask? Did you take any pics?

DooSPX
10-20-2010, 02:18 PM
the 91 is a great boat!

if you slalom the 91-94 is the best hull... if you like to cruise around a big lake, not so much... the 91-94 ride VERY rough. in 8" chop mine will make you start to dislike being out on the lake, by 1 foot chop you will hate life...

ask about the technical stuff and get every detail you can about the boat, the maintenance and the engine.

write it down if you have to... and post everything they tell you about the boat, maint. and the engine on here.

what shape is the boat in? details? a lot of times the shape that the exterior are in can tell you about the shape of the engine. i.e., good condition, should lead to a engine in the same condition.
not all the time though...

that is why I suggest you get every detail you can...

boats are money pits, and buying one and not knowing the history of the maint. or anything like that can have you throwing more money then should be needed at a boat.

If the boat sat for years w/o being ran, the gaskets and other misc. parts can/will degrade and cause issues... trust me... :rolleyes:

91tri190
10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I have bought many boats over the years and this is probably your one and only time to get the history, documentation, previous owner info, etc. on this boat. Try hard to get the background now while you have the attention of the seller. The seller should know what work was completed. If it is a dealer, try and get past them to the previous owner. Once the deal is done, the seller is off the hook and magically forgets or may toss important documents.

Steve

Starshack
10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
An old bedouin saying "when buying a camel it is more important to inspect the jockey than the camel". Having bought numerous used cars boats etc. over the years if you don't get a straight story or good feeling from the owner beware.

KScherf
10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I do have a lot of confidence that previous owner has taken excellent care of this boat, he has quoted me from his records which I will request prior to sale. I plan to travel next week to see the boat and take it for a test run. Any suggestions to look for and what to look for when driving the boat? Also, what was the likely price this one owner boat owner paid back in 1991 for this boat?. It has factory speed control, hot shower, heater, and reverse gel coat color, galvanized trailer. Thanks

DooSPX
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
well, in 91 there was no "factory" speed control. it was done by the driver. I believe all of those options minus the reverse gel are add-ons which is perfectly fine and great additions. the trailer, I hope its for that boat. I was not aware of any galvanized trailer options back then.
Is it a powerslot transmission? (1.52:1)
btw, what is the color? teal?

jipster43
10-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a purdy boat. Post pics whenever possible!

JP :)

mayo93prostar
10-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Doo, my 93 has a galvanized trailer and it is the original trailer from MC as far as I know.

KScherf
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the input, I have asked the ?,s you inquired about. The color is white on black

DooSPX
10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input, I have asked the ?,s you inquired about. The color is white on black

wow, I have never seen a black reverse gel... that has to be pretty rare.
I cannot wait to see the pictures...

DooSPX
10-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Doo, my 93 has a galvanized trailer and it is the original trailer from MC as far as I know.

looks original. Just never remember seeing that as an option in my 91 brochure.

C36
10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
... Any suggestions to look for and what to look for when driving the boat? ...

There are some suggestions - click here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47) - that might be of use in your water test (see item No. 10 "test drive"). Hope this is of some help.