PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Prostar - slight refurb

hinch
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Been checking this site out for information, and decided to start my own thread. Picked up a 1987 Prostar for a great price, but it is gonna need a little love. Boat was sitting at a local marina for the last couple years. Exterior the boat is in pretty good shape, besides the oxidation. Hull and fiberglass have not a scratch on it.

Interior is a little different story. Vinyl and carpet is in decent shape, considering its been sitting outside for the last couple years without a cover. Its a little brittle in spots, but replacing it will have to wait until next year.

We bought the boat as is, knowing it was not running at the time. The marina that had it was stealing parts off it to use on other boats they were fixing at the time. The motor spins freely and is not seized, so that's a start. Its missing the distributor, parts of the fuel lines, some hoses, and parts of the electrical will need some attention. In the next couple weeks we will be working on getting the engine fired up hopefully.

Thanks everybody for the help I've already received just looking around on here. I'm sure I will have many questions as we dig into this.

hinch
10-19-2010, 12:49 PM
here are some more pics

hinch
10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
and some of the engine...

mayo93prostar
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
hinch, do you want another one for parts to make one good one? my neighbor may be selling my old one. white/grey. I need to check with him.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Congrats on picking up a great project boat. Looks pretty complete. You have your work cut out for you, but if you are anything like the rest of us, it will be a labor of love (with a little cussing mixed in). Your local MC dealer should be a great source of parts and information, as we as www.skidim.com

Good luck on the project and keep us up to date with plenty of pics.

hinch
10-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys.

mayo87prostar - for the moment I don't think I am going to need another complete boat for parts. But if he does still have the boat would he be willing to sell me the dashboard off it it if its in better shape than mine? I'll send him mine so he could throw it on his boat to keep it intact. Mine is missing a few pieces and has seen better days. If not does anybody know where I can find a replacement? Anybody have one sitting around?

thatsmrmastercraft - thanks to this board I've already checked out skidim and ordered a few things off of them.

So far ordered some of the missing hoses, replacement filters, flame arrestor for the carb, impellor, and a couple other smaller items. Need to order the distributor, but have to find out which way the engine cranks first. From there we will find out what else is wrong.

Is there anything I should be looking out for since the boat has been sitting and hasn't run in probably 3 years. Anything that should be replaced like gaskets and seals?

Bouyhead
10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Thats a nice find hinch. Where in the northeast are you? I might have a handle on a motor or motor parts.

03geetee
10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the purchase and good luck on the resto, you came to the right place.

JTR

rjracin240
10-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Will be following your resto with interest as I have a 88 that I am putting together as I get time

hinch
10-19-2010, 08:18 PM
mcantamessa I am located in Boston, and the boat is at the parents lake house in Webster, which is in central MA somewhat close to Worcester. Where are you located or where is the possible motor you have located?

Bouyhead
10-20-2010, 05:45 AM
mcantamessa I am located in Boston, and the boat is at the parents lake house in Webster, which is in central MA somewhat close to Worcester. Where are you located or where is the possible motor you have located?

I'm on the West end of Long Island not to far from J.F.K. airport. The motor in question is on L.I also. if the motor is still available I'll shoot you a PM this afternoon with all the particulars.

hinch
11-22-2010, 10:19 AM
So over the last couple of weeks we have had a chance to work on the boat. Got it fired up in the driveway a couple weeks ago, and finally dropped it in the lake to she how it ran.

So far we installed:
New Electronic Distributor
New Coil
New Starter
Misc hoses that were missing
Filters

Surprisingly the boat fired right up after we put the missing parts back on. I was expecting a nightmare since the boat hasn't been run in a few years. Changed all the fluids and took it for a quick run. Ran great!
We did notice that the transmission fluid was milky. I'm guessing we have a faulty transmission cooler...so we will have to replace that in the spring.

After the run, winterized the boat for the winter. Next spring its going to be time to tackle the exterior and get her looking great.

03geetee
11-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Awesome best feeling in the world isnt it!

JTR

Bouyhead
11-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Nice job hinch!! You might want to consider removing that milky fluid from the tranny. Was it milky from day one or did it get milky after your shakedown cruise? Since you winterized already you can suck out the milky fluid and fill the tranny to the top to help disperse any remaining condensation.

hinch
11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
It was an excellent feeling. At first had the nerves of wondering what was going to go wrong or break. But when all looked good it felt great to open it up.

I plan to drain the tranny fluid out and replace for the winter. Next year I will tackle where that leak is coming from.