PDA

View Full Version : Good fall water near Mckinney?

gts-20
10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
We are going to head to the McKinney, TX. area from Houston in the next few weeks to visit some friends for the weekend. They have asked us to bring our PS214 for some fall boating/skiing (my injury makes me the designated driver :-(), but they are not boaters, and have no idea where to go. I have never been on the water in the DFW area other than some fishing tournaments a few years back.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not worried about distance from McKinney too much. We would be ok with anything about an hour drive from there. Looking for some good slalom and boarding water, and maybe a cove to anchor up in for some socializin' in the afternoon, but nothing too crazy.

thanks in advance for your help

mayo93prostar
10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Lake Lavon, Lake Lewisville, Granbury, ...look on google maps of the area. Lake Lavon is closest and one I am most familiar with, I used to live near it and I used to live in McKinney. However, it's elevation has changed significantly over past years because of draught and flooding. Not too low according to link below.
http://lakelevelalert.com/lavon-current-lake-level-texas.php

Caution, there are many areas with trees/stumps. they flooded the area and did not remove the trees. but there are areas clear of trees.

there is a nice set of private lakes in Princeton, TX west of McKinney on Hwy 380 that you may want to check out, probably can not put boat in but cool to see.

EastTXSkier on here is east of there but I think a little too far.

ncsone
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
This time of year, the lakes are really not crowded at all. Winds have been less than 5 mph for the last 2 weeks, so it is pretty much ideal. Since the lakes are not crowded right now, any lake is good - Lavon is good - stay on the southern half (north 1/2 is all stumps/trees), Lewisville, Texoma (really a nice lake), etc.

Feel free to PM me if you need more details. We are 10 minutes from McKinney.

-NCS

Gofast
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
You have options in McKinney. Lewsiville has a copuple of resturants, so you have a place to grab food and drinks if needed. Large lake and not croweded this time of year. It will cost you to launch and park $12 for boat, truck and2 people at Pier 121.

Lavon is OK, but lacks a decent cafe. North end is fine. IF you know where to go. Large cove, no trees or stumps, used to be a course on the lake. You can not get to the south end of the lake because of the stumps though.

Texhoma is about 45 mins North of Mckinney. Large lake, low usage this time of year. $5 launch fee at Lowes Highpoint. God cafe, sandy beach areas ot tie up and swim.

Good luck, have fun. I live in Mckinney, PM if you need more details.

Thanks Rob

gts-20
10-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Sounds like Texoma or Lewisville so far. The stumps on Lavon are kind of making me shy away from there. Are there hazzards on Texoma/Lewisville? If so, are they well marked/