PDA

View Full Version : Polished ballast pumps

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have the thread where a guy polished the inside housing on his ballast pumps bookmarked?

I did about 10 searches and can not come up with it. Since I'm changing impellers I'd like to read that thread again.

Thanks.

Sodar
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29454

CantRepeat
10-19-2010, 12:18 AM
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29454

Dang it Cam, you'er the heat!!

Thanks!

TX.X-30 fan
10-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Dang it Cam, you'er the heat!!

Thanks!

Cam is hot...............:confused::confused:

CantRepeat
10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Cam is hot...............:confused::confused:

That's the word on the street. :D

prostar205
10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Does anyone have the thread where a guy polished the inside housing on his ballast pumps bookmarked?

I did about 10 searches and can not come up with it. Since I'm changing impellers I'd like to read that thread again.

Thanks.

I take all 3 pumps out every fall and polish them throughout the winter. My next thing will be to mount all 3 with the pump on the bottom and the motor pointing up so water doesn't drip into the motor. I'm also going to find a way to get ride of the stock water manifold and feed each pump with a direct inlet hose.

CantRepeat
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I take all 3 pumps out every fall and polish them throughout the winter. My next thing will be to mount all 3 with the pump on the bottom and the motor pointing up so water doesn't drip into the motor. I'm also going to find a way to get ride of the stock water manifold and feed each pump with a direct inlet hose.

Why do yo want to remove the manifold? What purpose does the manifold serve?

Are you going to put more through-hull ports?

wjpbrand
10-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Prostar205 could you please post some pics I am going to go through the same installation fairly soon.

prostar205
10-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Why do yo want to remove the manifold? What purpose does the manifold serve?

Are you going to put more through-hull ports?

The manifold (in my opinion) is too small to handle the volume of water that these pumps require. I can not run even 2 pumps at the same time because 1 pump pulls water from the other.

Yes, I am going to drill 2 additional holes in the bottom of my boat and feed each pump seperately. This should solve my 40+ minute fill times.

prostar205
10-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Prostar205 could you please post some pics I am going to go through the same installation fairly soon.

I will most definately post pictures when I tackle this project.

Also due up this winter is the installation of the Lenco trim tab and LED underwater lights.

CantRepeat
10-21-2010, 06:58 AM
I removed all my pumps and polished them. I also was in the process of turning over the port pump and changing the wiring for it and found the pump was making a bit more noice then the other two. It seems it has already started to go bad.

prostar205
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
My winter projects have started. The boat is on the trailer and today we are drilling 2 additional thur-hull fittings to feed each ballast pump individually. I am also starting the installation of the Lenco trim tab. While I'm at in, underwater LEDs are also going on. Should be done next week - just waiting for a few misc. parts from Lenco.

jason@wakemakers.com
01-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Take some pics of the process and finished product, can't wait to see it!

medicmoose
01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
My winter projects have started. The boat is on the trailer and today we are drilling 2 additional thur-hull fittings to feed each ballast pump individually. I am also starting the installation of the Lenco trim tab. While I'm at in, underwater LEDs are also going on. Should be done next week - just waiting for a few misc. parts from Lenco.

I am looking forward to seeing some pics of that....definitely a project I would like to do as well. I want to get a couple of ballast pumps to fill the Fatsacs individually but am scared to death of drilling more holes in the boat!! Are you drilling new vent holes as well?

bturner2
01-16-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd love to see the bill of materials you're using for the tabs and to hear about the installation. Please post both.

rem_pss308
01-16-2011, 09:04 AM
I only have the KGB. If anyone has a 2000 X-star or a newer X1, I would like to know where the pumps are located for the rear sacs. Im going to be installing mine this winter.

And as others requested. If some has pictures that would be a great help. thanks

PS, Im mainly interested in where uour thru hulls are, and do you have a cut off valve at the thru hull, and the location of the pumps

prostar205
01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd love to see the bill of materials you're using for the tabs and to hear about the installation. Please post both.

I got the tab from a company called Master Repair in Stuart, FL. They are an authorized seller of Lenco trim tabs. They are located 2 blocks from the Lenco plant. I am still waiting for a few items that weren't part of my original package - brackets, mounting hardware, etc.. Pictures and a BOM will be forthcoming.

willyt
01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Maybe I missed something, but I'm asking why? prostar205, I'm assuming you still have the 205? I have a 05 X2, and really don't think I need a trim tab on it, and I haven't had to spend more than 20 mins filling ballast, and I have 2300 lbs plumbed in.

prostar205
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I'm asking why? prostar205, I'm assuming you still have the 205? I have a 05 X2, and really don't think I need a trim tab on it, and I haven't had to spend more than 20 mins filling ballast, and I have 2300 lbs plumbed in.

Willyt -

I had a '95 PS205 and chose my screen name while I still had the PS205 (greatest boat ever). I now have a '02 X-30 and it definately needs a trim tab - hence the reason I'm installing one this week. I'd certainly like to know how you fill 2,300 lbs of water in 20 minutes using the stock ballast system (manifold and ballast puppy pump). I can only run 1 pump at a time because their just isn't enough water available thru the manifold.

willyt
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Ah, yea I figured the sn might be old. Def agree a 30 may need a trim tab.

As for the ballast issue - I read your other post about the ballast system project and we have extremely similar setups for ballast, I have the 750's in the back with a 500 in the center (Er... Guess it's 2300lbs total, use tsunami pump to fill the 300lber walkway sac). Per mattscraft, I always run the engine at 1500rpms in neutral while filling to give the pumps enough juice from the alternator (have a MCX which I believe comes with a 90 amper. 3 pumps is alot of drag on it at idle). Due to the difference in years, perhaps the inlet changed sizes? I've never had an issue with not getting enough water from under the boat.

prostar205
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Willyt - What year and model of boat do you have?

Mine is a 2002 X-30 with the L-18 (496) engine. Idling at 1,500 RPM for 40 minutes to fill the ballast up gets fairly expensive.

The inlet hose diameter feeding the manifold is 1" ID. What is yours?

Smoothie
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey Pro I did the same thing with the ballast system in my 02 x star. That manifold was a POS. You will be so happy and shocked at how fast everything fills and empties. One thing I wish I had done and may still do is on your overflows is to change the through the side holes to one inch. I kept mine 3/4 and had to do a reducer from 1 inch to 3/4 ended up with a bunch of leaks and needed to double clamp them. I think switching them to a 1 inch side would also make them drain faster. So I did one inch through hulls on the bottom of the boat got one pump that is dying a death that was mounted upside down and fills and empties slower. Thats my next addition. So far this is the best thing I have done to my boat also did stereo last winter with exile tower speakers. Hope to get an Acme 1235 next.

willyt
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
prostar - I have an 05 X2 - Boat's in storage so I cant check on those sizes until I start my spring projects. That L18's not powerful enough to push the X30 right out? wow... what prop are you running?

Smoothie - I have that Acme 1235 prop. You'll be happier with the OJ 14.25x14.5 on your boat, IM0. OJ wont hit the rev limiter, and only lost 2 mph off top end (as the OJ hits rev limiter at around 38 mph unloaded). I will say both holeshots were knock-your-socks-off amazing (had as much as 3300lbs and 5 people in my boat before, both props planed out amazingly).

Oh... I also have the MCX engine.

Smoothie
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM
willy thanks for the info I have the underpowered 310 which is fine for this boat to be honest. Hmmmm will have to see what kind of deal I can get on the OJ. Just heard so many great things about that ACME prop. What made you decide to switch or look for another prop once you got the acme?

prostar205
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=willyt;727203]prostar - I have an 05 X2 - Boat's in storage so I cant check on those sizes until I start my spring projects. That L18's not powerful enough to push the X30 right out? wow... what prop are you running?

The L-18 is an awesome power plant. I don't think I could have anything else. It is plenty of power for the X-30 with 2,000 lbs of water. That has never been my issue. It's the fill times. I'm also installing the 2010 Lenco trim tab on the boat right now to eliminate the porpoising (spelling??). While I'm at it, underwater LEDs are also going on the boat.

Let me know the inlet hose diameter. I bet it is 1.25".

Smoothie
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
My inlet was 1 inch on the 02 x star I did 2 more one inch through hulls actually right below where the POS manifold was. Save all your left overs will save you on check valves etc.

willyt
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
ah... the porpoising... i had that problem with the 205 with the 750's were full. ended up putting 200lbs of lead behind the front seat in the bow. solved that problem quickly.

I destroyed the 13.7x17 prop on a stump... figured i'd get a backup prop while i was out buying a new one. wanted to see the differences between the acme and OJ, thought i would give them both a shot.