PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Oil

shortyx250
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I have a 1980 stars and stripes with a poweslot. What kind of oil should I use? I guess you have to siphon the old oil out right? Should I do a flush on it as well just to get all the old oil out?

Abe
10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Dexron II is what is recommended I think, Not too sure about The flush Tho.

Just done mine, siphoned Old out and same amount in.

carracer
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
If after you pump old oil out, it smells or looks burned I would refill run briefly then change again.

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
If after you pump old oil out, it smells or looks burned I would refill run briefly then change again.

/agreed. If you smell burnt oil I would change it twice. IE change it go out for the day and then change it when you get back. I got another 4 or 5 years out of my velvet with just a couple of changes. Even then, when I rebuilt it I don't think it really needed it but I had already purchased the kit and didn't have any other winter projects so I just did it.

carracer
10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a question reguarding transmission oil so I am going to pirate your thread. My 08 x-30 came pre-packed with Penziol 10w-40 HD motor oil in the transmission to quiet gear chatter. My question is does anyboby use synthetic in the transmission if not what would be the hurt?

mayo93prostar
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
shorty, for older machines like yours, the Dexron is recommended. the Dexron II may be hard to find. I have been using Valvoline MaxLife Dex/merc transmision fluid in mine for years with no problems. I have had an 1982 and 1987 and now a 1993, all with powerslot.

pump out old fluid with vacuum pump, measure amount removed in a gallon container and then put same amount back in. pretty easy to do.

uncleboo
10-23-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a question reguarding transmission oil so I am going to pirate your thread. My 08 x-30 came pre-packed with Penziol 10w-40 HD motor oil in the transmission to quiet gear chatter. My question is does anyboby use synthetic in the transmission if not what would be the hurt?

I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.

carracer
10-24-2010, 09:23 AM
I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.

what model and to understand you use synthetic ATF. My 08 x-30 came with engine oil pre-packed in the transmission I want opinions on using synthetic motor oil in the transmission.

bigmac
10-24-2010, 09:47 AM
shorty, for older machines like yours, the Dexron is recommended. the Dexron II may be hard to find. Dexron II is long-discontinued. Dexron VI is compatible with all previous versions of Dexron, at least in all GM applications.

Best to follow mfgr's recommendations when possible, but the transmissions in these boats are pretty rudimentary. The lack of a torque converter means that just about anything slippery with any degree of shear stability would work just fine.

budlitefan
10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
<b> Re: used auto transmissions (http://www.mwdauto.com)</b>

Wheres a cheap place to buy replacement transmissions

rspiecha
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Now be carefull of saying Dexron VI is compatiable with all previous versions of Dexron. This is not true with the allison transmissions because of older seals. Granted the boat transmission isn't an allison, but there might be seals that are simliar.

Rob