PDA

View Full Version : New to me '91 MariStar 210

vshockey10
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey guys just thought I would tell you guys about our recent purchase.

Its a 1991 MasterCraft MariStar 210. We drove about 6 hours round trip to go pick it up.

It needs some work still, but I'm very excited to get into it though.

I just want to thank those of you that helped me find the boat. so...

THANK YOU!!

any suggestions you may have on what I should do to the boat is extremely appreciated.

vshockey10
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
the boat did not come with a cover does anyone have a cover they want to sell for this boat?

it also came with a 4 blade propeller and a 3 blade. what one is better for what?

on the list to do

-possibly get ride of the tower for a different one
-restore exterior (anyone have any tips or compounds to use?)
-put MasterCraft decals on the side and rear
-oil the swim plate form
-figure out how the fat sac pump system installed already works
- buy fat sacs, ropes, and a new wake board
-winterize
- fix up trailer

Abe
10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Nice Boat There, I think It was used mainly for Boarding, Going by that Prop, the Ballast system and That Tower - which looks OK to me, Tho If wasn't an issue I would get a Better one.
A Cover is a Must, Especially for the Winter months and All the other things mentioned including The Mastercraft Logo would be a nice Winter project.

Is That Engine a Windsor 351. Hope You Enjoy This Boat, Trailer looks sweet Too.

vshockey10
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
any ideas where to get a cover?

djkslc
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I had that exact same boat for 3 years and really enjoyed it. Ski wake was nice and with some people on board and weight the wakeboard wake was pretty good at speeds around 20. Never could get the surf wake. There's alot you can do to an old boat to make it nicer without spending much money. TLC and some elbow grease and you should be able to enjoy it for many years. If that engine is a 454 you'll love the power/grunt out of the hole.

p.s I wouldn't change the tower. The one that is on there will serve its purpose.

vshockey10
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I had that exact same boat for 3 years and really enjoyed it. Ski wake was nice and with some people on board and weight the wakeboard wake was pretty good at speeds around 20. Never could get the surf wake. There's alot you can do to an old boat to make it nicer without spending much money. TLC and some elbow grease and you should be able to enjoy it for many years. If that engine is a 454 you'll love the power/grunt out of the hole.

p.s I wouldn't change the tower. The one that is on there will serve its purpose.

good to hear about the wake! thats exactly what we are looking for.

I think the motor is a Ford 351. but it will be better on gas so its all good.

what are some of these cheap ways to make it nicer?

CantRepeat
10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
You can talk to Jim @ BAW about side graphics. Your boat should have a Mastercraft down the side and Maristart 210 near the back. When I put new ones on he made them up for me.

They should look someting like this.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=42

vshockey10
10-19-2010, 10:36 AM
is there supposed to be a pinstripe on mine also like you have?

really clean boat also. Your tower looks so good on there

CantRepeat
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't think you "should" have a third or even a fourth color in you gel coat, but I bet you could have ordered them when the boat was being made.

cmw
10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Before I found this site and did not know where to find decals, I bought a couple of Pro Star decals for $30 and Indmar gave me some. The old ones were trash and it needed something. djkslc is right about the 454, but it is a thirsty motor. Enjoy your boat. We have had a blast in ours and it did not cost me much. I have as much in upholstery as I do the boat. If you have any questions, PM me and I will try to help. I tore my boat and trailer all the way down to restore. Very well built boat!62465

vshockey10
10-21-2010, 01:51 AM
do you happen to have a build thread on it with pictures?

cmw
10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
I did not take the time. I wish I had now. It is an easy boat to work on. I pulled everything out, pulled up the floors and started with the motor, fuel lines and gas tank(don't forget to lub rudder,cable etc). Replaced vent hoses. Cleaned all of it. Replaced the floors, then added new carpet. Fixed all the little problems. Found someone at the Atlanta boat show who knew what they were doing with upholstery. She designed it and sent some of it to Mastercraft for embroidering (trademark issue). I think it looks so much better than the original. Then I bought a flex buffer and went to town on the hull. I saved the trailer for last. Buffing can create a mess on your trailer. I figure I have in the boat, what I can conservatively sell it for. Use the search function and don't be afraid to ask stupid questions to the people on this forum. I was amazed at how much good and time saving information I received. Good luck. I will look for some pictures on my home computer when we get back from the lake Monday.

vshockey10
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Yes please post up any pictures that you have! what did you use on the outside of your hull to get it to look so nice? I think that is mainly going to be my focus this winter. I just have no clue where to start or what to buy to do it

ttu
10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/index.html

they have nice covers. but with that tower you will need to take it to a local canvas shop and they can make cut outs for your tower legs.

nice looking boat btw. enjoy.

rholmes
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Other ideas for you. Get an orbital buffer and go to town with some heavy compound, just be sure to keep moving.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22917

cmw
10-21-2010, 02:41 PM
rholmes, if I did not know better, I would say the previous owners of our boats is the same guy by looking at your before shots. My PO was a master with duct tape. Did the whole upholstery in it. When I found the boat, my wife just looked at me and said, "I know that look. You have got to be kidding me". She's happy know and what would have been a boat payment is now paying my house down.

vshockey10
10-21-2010, 07:10 PM
your boat did a complete 360 WOW. Very sharp looking maristar! Thanks for sharing your restoration thread

vshockey10
10-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I will have to check out the cover situation. I was more hoping for a factory cover that utilizes the snaps

vshockey10
08-06-2011, 11:10 PM
hey guys I just want to update this thread a little bit since the summer is almost over. We have used the boat as much as possible. The boat is now at 822 hours. I gave it a proper spring cleaning with the help of some friends and their detailing equipment. My ACME 4 blade was dinged up from trailing it 5 hours south this weekend so we ran it with the stock prop today and WOW I need to get that fixed so if someone has a local guy around Huntley IL let me know! I have since bought a Hyperlite wake board and loaded the boat with lead in the front, which has really helped with the wakeboard wake. But you do dip the bow sometimes. I also bought a new tow vehicle, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, for those of you that dont know its a turbo diesel jeep that pulls the boat great. I still have yet to add ballast bags though the boat is plumbed for it. The trailer received a little overhaul this past week when I added electric over hydraulic disk brake system. And let me tell you all this is really the best/ safest way to tow a boat. I HIGHLY recommend the conversion.

I have came upon a few stick problems recently. The boat is now taking on water which I assume is from the exhaust tubes/ rear hull exits. So I will refiberglass this winter.

But the more concerning issue is that the oil pressure dropped today. at idle the gauge would read 20 psi and 2200 rpm it would read 35 psi. This is not with in the specs, and I am really concerned.

The dipstick is reading full, could this be a failing oil pump? where is this located just to verify??

what is the best option right now moving forward. I have already decided that it is getting put away for the weekend. But I would like it to be ready for next weekend as we have another trip planned. Any advise is helpful at this point. can I buy an oil pump from autozone for a 351 windsor or do I need to go someplace special if that is the problem?

THANK YOU!!

When I was looking into buying a budget boat to try and get into wakeboarding I really wanted to see pictures of peoples wakes. So if anyone else is looking into older boats here is a pic of the boat w/out sacs and a pic from today of me. enjoy.

vshockey10
08-07-2011, 12:09 AM
after doing some research it seems a relief valve might have dirty in it? how would I check this. an oil change/ new filter is needed along with a mechanical oil pressure gauge

vshockey10
08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I think the plan of attack is to do an oil change and see what happens today along with the mechanical gauge. anyone else have some insight?

vshockey10
08-09-2011, 10:31 AM
oil change/new filter bumped it up to 50-55 running psi