PDA

View Full Version : Water in Transmission fluid

dlboltond
10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Equipment
1992 Maristar Indmar 351/ 1:1 velvet drive
I have changed my transmision fluid at least 5 times this season and it continues to turn milky. Even the first run after a change. I just pressure tested the cooler and there were no bubbles (radiator shop). There is always foam about halfway down the dipstick. I can't imagine that the water is coming from the cooler unless it a VERY small leak. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
DB

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 11:21 AM
If the bilge is dry then I can't think of any other way for it to take on water. I would think it could only be coming from the cooler.

About the only other way would be if the bilge is so full and it's leaking into the tranny from a line fitting or a seal but the water would have to be pretty high for that to happen.

Starshack
10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
I think Maristar is a V drive but in a direct drive it can get in through the rear shaft seal on the tranny but you need to have water in the bilge - may want to check packing gland - I have seen a number of old MC's running around that are constantly pumping out water (worn out packing glands) - it does not take much water to turn the fluid milky.

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I think Maristar is a V drive but in a direct drive it can get in through the rear shaft seal on the tranny but you need to have water in the bilge - may want to check packing gland - I have seen a number of old MC's running around that are constantly pumping out water (worn out packing glands) - it does not take much water to turn the fluid milky.

The 92 Mastercraft Maristart is a DD with Velvet 71c.

Luv2Ski
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Doubt this is it, but if you are not screwing the dipstick in tight and water is dripping on it then it can get into the trans (would by very small amounts though). I have noticed this when I was running in the driveway my water supply was dripping onto the trans (dipstick had some pink on it, bulk of fluid was fine).

I think I would get a second opinion on that cooler.

91tri190
10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Can you run a temporary hose on the Velvet between the inlet and outlet ports to make a closed tranny loop and circumvent the cooler? Run it for a short period of time to avoid too much heat(you mentioned it turns milky just after the first run) and then check and to see if it still turns milky? This would surley mean the cooler is at fault, correct?

dlboltond
10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
It is a direct drive and there is usually foam on the top of the dip stick and when I pump the "old" fluid out, it is milky and separates a very minor amount (just around the edges). I watched the radiator guy check it. He put it under some pretty good pressure. Could it be a small leak and not get any bubbles or very slow? As for water in the bilge, the auto switch for the bilge pp rarely comes on. I am usually faster and check water level often. Try to avoid a lot of water.

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
It is a direct drive and there is usually foam on the top of the dip stick and when I pump the "old" fluid out, it is milky and separates a very minor amount (just around the edges). I watched the radiator guy check it. He put it under some pretty good pressure. Could it be a small leak and not get any bubbles or very slow? As for water in the bilge, the auto switch for the bilge pp rarely comes on. I am usually faster and check water level often. Try to avoid a lot of water.

How did he check it? Did he thread fitting into where the tranny lines screw in or did he try to pressurize it from where the water passes through?

And, you say bubbles. When I've ran my boat a for a bit and then pull the dip stick on the tranny it has some bubbles on it. If you are getting a fair amount of water in the transmission it is going to turn very milky pink.

This much I'll tell you, the cost of a cooler is nothing compared to the cost of a tranny rebuild or new tranny. If you have no water in the bilge then the cooler is the only way introduce water into the tranny.

dlboltond
10-18-2010, 06:59 PM
When he checked it, he put a hose on the oil input and plugged the exit and put the whole thing underwater. We saw no bubbling when he pressurized it.

When I take the Dioscuri out, there is foam around the dipstick. When I change the fluid, it is pink (milky). I have changed it several times and it always looks the same, milky with some separation at the very top around the interface of the container. It never totally separates and is not transparent as it comes out of the bottle.

Could that still be the cooler without seeing bubbles during the pressure test?

D

CantRepeat
10-18-2010, 07:05 PM
When he checked it, he put a hose on the oil input and plugged the exit and put the whole thing underwater. We saw no bubbling when he pressurized it.

When I take the Dioscuri out, there is foam around the dipstick. When I change the fluid, it is pink (milky). I have changed it several times and it always looks the same, milky with some separation at the very top around the interface of the container. It never totally separates and is not transparent as it comes out of the bottle.

Could that still be the cooler without seeing bubbles during the pressure test?

D

If you have NO water in the bilge that has to be your issue. You have like 7 inches from the log pack to the coupler and then a couple more inches to the rear seal. If the bilge is dry then it can only be the cooler, I think.

dlboltond
10-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I think I will order the new cooler from skidim. I know the dipstick is still good, so I will give it a shot. If I remember, I will post the results. Will probably be next season