PDA

View Full Version : 08 x-30 ballast

carracer
10-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Before I start the impellor change where are the ballast pumps located on this model. I purchased the green impellors but would like to know any short cuts if any on the install. Are the seals O-Rings or do I also need gaskets ?

Thanks C.R.

jason@wakemakers.com
10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
The pumps are located behind the wall in the rear compartments. The seal is an o-ring, but it almost never needs to be replaced, unless it's currently leaking.

carracer
10-18-2010, 08:14 PM
thank you very much sir

bturner2
10-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Actually there are two seals. One on the front and the other on the shaft on the rear of the pump assembly. The second being the culprit of many a failed pump on a lot of x Series boats. The failed shaft seal lets water drip directly into the pump motor which then burns out. This is because the pump has been mounted with the pump assembly directly over the motor.

Ballast pumps on later models were moved to the transom and repositioned so that they were mounted horizontally to eliminate this issue. Making a retro fit kit to move the pumps to the new location was on my to do list late this summer after experiencing a $300 pump failure but I got too tied up with using the boat to get this completed. Don't know if anyone else would be interested in this if I can get some brackets made but I hope to restart the effort this spring.

carracer
10-18-2010, 08:44 PM
What was the model year of the change?

TX.X-30 fan
10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Mine are on the transom in the 04 but center is upside down

jason@wakemakers.com
10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Yep, that's big issue on later models, and flipping the pump over (as well as reversing the polarity of the wiring) is an upgrade we do to every boat that comes through our shop.

kingwoodlee
10-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Jason,
So there would be no downside to flipping the center ballast pump on my 05 X-10? Does anyone know why it was mounted like that in the first place? Just wondering

jason@wakemakers.com
10-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Nope, absolutely no downside what-so-ever (other than the work involved), just be sure you switch the wiring, (it's easiest to do right at the pump, but anywhere will work fine), otherwise you'll be filling when you select drain and vice-versa.

Why is it mounted like that in the first place? Tough to say, but probably just because. Unfortunately that's how a lot of things are done by all of the major manufacturers, and until they realize there is a problem (rather than trying to think things through ahead of time), they don't change.