PDA

View Full Version : No Oil

xstarondabayou
10-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey Everyone, I owned a 2008 prostar 197 for a couple years and put about 800 hours on it and decided it was time for an x-star. I bought a 2007 X-Star SS with 240 hours on it. Yesterday I ran the boat all day with no problem. We docked to eat and I accidently hit the heater to the on position while getting off. When I got back the engine voltmeter came on and read 11.2...I ran the engine at about 30 to 40 mph for about ten minutes to charge the batteries. Then as I was putting the boat on the trailer the check engine alarm came on. I looked at the oil dipstick first and there was barely any oil on it. Tried running it on land, via flush kit, and the check engine alarm stayed on. Checked oil when I got home and there was virtually no oil on the dipstick and no oil in the oil tank. I do not think there is a leak because everything else in the engine compartment is dry. No oil in bilge etc... The dealership did not do an oil change when the boat was there a couple weeks ago. The previous owner is a close family friend but I cannot get a hold of him. Could it be that the boat simply needs some oil in the tank. Could it have used up all of the oil? Just let me know what I should do....

I am greatly appreciative. Thank you

Thrall
10-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I want to know where the oil tank is.:rolleyes:
Did you think maybe it's just low on oil, put a couple quarts in and run it?

TX.X-30 fan
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Put a little oil in at a time until you see it on the stick.

xstarondabayou
10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I added oil and the dipstick is showing a good level. Ran the boat and the check engine alarm is still sounding. I guess it is not an oil problem. Do you think it may be the low voltage problem I explained earlier. I thought if it was the voltage it would say that and not "check engine".... Any thoughts?

TX.X-30 fan
10-17-2010, 03:08 PM
If the battery/voltage drops below 11.5 the annoying (as an ex-wife) alarm will sound.

Jim@BAWS
10-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I added oil and the dipstick is showing a good level. Ran the boat and the check engine alarm is still sounding. I guess it is not an oil problem. Do you think it may be the low voltage problem I explained earlier. I thought if it was the voltage it would say that and not "check engine".... Any thoughts?

You have a LOW VOLTAGE alarm going off. A dealer can clear the code via laptop or 3 full warm up and cool down cycles FULL

Change the oil ASAP and refill to specs with correct oil. Then check and watch

Jim@BAWS

xstarondabayou
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a minn-kota 6 amp on board battery charger which worked great for my prostar. Which battery should I connect the charger to. The battery closest to the engine or the battery closer to the side (port side) of the boat?

BNIROOSTER
10-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I have a minn-kota 6 amp on board battery charger which worked great for my prostar. Which battery should I connect the charger to. The battery closest to the engine or the battery closer to the side (port side) of the boat?

It doesnt matter which battery you connect to as long as they are wired together they will both charge. (Assuming they aren't on a switch) The check engine light is most likely due to the low voltage.