PDA

View Full Version : 06 X30 ballast questions.

CantRepeat
10-17-2010, 09:04 AM
So we took the boat out yesterday for the first time and I was messing with the ballast.

It has 3 hard tanks, port, starboard, and one label KGB(I assume it's the center forward tank).

Flipping a single switch I can hear the pump spin up and the gauge will move up slowly. When flipping that switch to empty watch gets shot out of the vent on the side of the boat. My question is aren't the pumps supposed to reverse and just push the water back out of the bottom of the boat?

mccobmd
10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
No, the 06 models have the outflow on the sides. I personnally like it because I know when they are empty. The pumps are reversible but have different inflow and outflow sites.

CantRepeat
10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
No, the 06 models have the outflow on the sides. I personnally like it because I know when they are empty. The pumps are reversible but have different inflow and outflow sites.

So inflow through the hull and outflow out the of the side vents on the sides of the boat?

Thrall
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
So inflow through the hull and outflow out the of the side vents on the sides of the boat?

Yes. And the guages are just for show. Mine usually read full when full and empty is wherever the guage sticks at.

CantRepeat
10-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I was looking at the line this morning and notice large white plastic round looking things, are these filters of some sort?

TallRedRider
10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I was looking at the line this morning and notice large white plastic round looking things, are these filters of some sort?

They are check valves. Obviously if you had just a straight reversible pump, the discharge would go out the same way it came in. The check valve only lets the water flow in 1 direction, and is necessary to stop the flow back out the bottom. There are several check valves on the 06 models. You also need one on each discharge hose to stop from sucking air from the discharge hoses.

Disclaimer: this is assuming that yours is like my X45.

Helpful hint: One of your ballast pumps is probably upside down (brass side up). Over time the water will leak down into the motor and the pump motor will fry. Turn it over, and mount it like they were supposed to do at the factory.

CantRepeat
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
They are check valves. Obviously if you had just a straight reversible pump, the discharge would go out the same way it came in. The check valve only lets the water flow in 1 direction, and is necessary to stop the flow back out the bottom. There are several check valves on the 06 models. You also need one on each discharge hose to stop from sucking air from the discharge hoses.

Disclaimer: this is assuming that yours is like my X45.

Helpful hint: One of your ballast pumps is probably upside down (brass side up). Over time the water will leak down into the motor and the pump motor will fry. Turn it over, and mount it like they were supposed to do at the factory.

I do have one mounted upside down!

I guess I'll tear into them this winter and replace the impellers and add a sac to my surf side.

Thanks everyone!

jason@wakemakers.com
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
There's a diagram that outlines the layout of your system on our blog here (http://media.wakemakers.com/2009/08/how-to-reversible-pump-automated-ballast-system-design/).