PDA

View Full Version : X-25 feedback

Eagle
10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I am thinking about selling my 05 X-2 and buying an X-25. I'd be interested in people's comments and experience with the X-25.

I primarily use my X-2 for wakeboarding (90%), surfing (8%), lake cruising (2%). We also have a Cobalt 220 that my wife wants to keep -- and is the boat we use for general hanging out and cruising on the lake.

I'm also interested in feedback on the engine choices for the X-25. It's a much heavier boat than my X-2, and one of the things I didn't like about the X-25 vs. the X-2 (MCX) is how long it takes to get up to speed, and you really need to give it WOT.

jason95gt
10-17-2010, 10:08 AM
You will not be disappointed and will probably get rid of the Cobalt once you ride in this boat. I would go with the 5.7L Ilmor motor and maybe just a reprop if it doesn't get out of the hole fast enough for you or just go with the 6L Ilmor. You will not be disappointed! Amazing boat for what you are looking for.

osuwaterboy
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with an X-25. I bought a 2010 X-25 last September. I have 16.5hours on it and love it. Here are some of my opinions about it:

1. Throws a fantastic wakeboard wake with standard ballast. Very large and clean wakes and not too wide.

2. The surf wake is not large enough with standard ballast. This was a big dissapointment for me since there was a lot of hype about a great surf wake. I do have the surf tabs and adjustment plate which really changes the shape and cleanliness of the wake more than size. It takes some playing around to get the ballast and surf tab settings just right. If you want to surf, plan to add extra ballast in the rear and have several friends in the boat.

3. I have the LY6 engine. It has plenty of power. I have no issues with hole shot or turning with a full ballast and boat full of people. I don't usually give it WOT to get up a wakeboarder. It's a heavy boat, so I have no regrets with this engine except it seems like it burns a lot of gas 10 -14 gal/hr. It doesn't compare to the agility of my ProStar 190 with LT1 engine, but that's to be expected. It takes a little more careful maneuvering in tight spaces. Also, winterization is a snap. If you are mechanically inclined at all I recommend saving your money and do your own winterization. The engine hatch can be easily detached from the shocks to move it out of the way when you are working on the engine.

4. The ride is comfortable in all water conditions. It cuts the waves nicely and really makes a great cruising boat - except you don't get the speed or fuel economy of a stern drive. I have caught some spray over in the driver's seat on very windy days.

5. The interior layout and roominess is awesome. There's plenty of storage and space for people to move around. I had 12 people in the boat and it didn't feel crowded at all. The ice chest is convenient although it's easy to bend the hinge that holds up the seat. I already broke it. The bow is very comfortable for 2 or more adults to stretch out - much bigger than the X2. Sitting in the boat feels very secure because of the depth of the gunwale. The stereo sounds good - although I admit it's not as good as the stereo in the new SA Nautique 220, and with 4 tower speakers I still can't really hear much behind the boat while wakeboarding. The bimini top works nicely, it's easy to put up and down. The cover on the bimini is cumbersome to put back on.

5. The fit and finish is unmatched by any other boat in my opinion. The vinyl, carpet, gauges, BIG, stereo system, tower, board racks etc are all top of the line. Although I have a couple gripes. First, the shower. The shower assembly is all made of plastic, so the shower door latch is already broken as well as the piece that holds the spray head in place while it's closed. It's also difficult to get the right temperature, the pump loses suction easily, and it's cumbersome to get the shower head back in its storage spot. I wasn't sure how much I would use a shower, but it sure is great to fill up your wet suit with warm water before you jump in to cold water. I just wish it was on par with the rest of the boat as far as quality i.e. made out of SS.
Second, the large seat on the port side always raises up unless you put some weight on top of it. It's just annoying. The shock is too strong.
Third, the hinge on the ice chest seat is a great idea but it doesn't take much to bend it. I think it needs a beefier hinge or different design.
Fourth, I love the tower, but I hate that it's such a pain to fold down. You need a 12' tall garage door to fit in a garage. with it up and 9' with it down.
Fifth, the tower camera quality isn't great, but it's a fun toy. The swivel and camera set up works fine. We have fun laughing at ourselves and it's also a good training tool. I recommend getting a microphone to go with it. You might save yourself some money and get an aftermarket camera attachement with a better camera.

6. Towing - It's a heavy boat and my Toyota Sequoia has a hard time towing over 60 mph. If you are going to tow much I would consider a diesel or big V8. I have the Mastercraft low profile trailer, and I have no complaints. The breaks work great, the Boat buddy is nice, the Fulton winch and jack are top notch and plenty of places to put your feet to climb in the boat. Also, I don't tow with the cover on because it leaves very fine scratch marks under the rub rail.

sand2snow22
12-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with an X-25. I bought a 2010 X-25 last September. I have 16.5hours on it and love it. Here are some of my opinions about it:

1. Throws a fantastic wakeboard wake with standard ballast. Very large and clean wakes and not too wide.

2. The surf wake is not large enough with standard ballast. This was a big dissapointment for me since there was a lot of hype about a great surf wake. I do have the surf tabs and adjustment plate which really changes the shape and cleanliness of the wake more than size. It takes some playing around to get the ballast and surf tab settings just right. If you want to surf, plan to add extra ballast in the rear and have several friends in the boat.

3. I have the LY6 engine. It has plenty of power. I have no issues with hole shot or turning with a full ballast and boat full of people. I don't usually give it WOT to get up a wakeboarder. It's a heavy boat, so I have no regrets with this engine except it seems like it burns a lot of gas 10 -14 gal/hr. It doesn't compare to the agility of my ProStar 190 with LT1 engine, but that's to be expected. It takes a little more careful maneuvering in tight spaces. Also, winterization is a snap. If you are mechanically inclined at all I recommend saving your money and do your own winterization. The engine hatch can be easily detached from the shocks to move it out of the way when you are working on the engine.

4. The ride is comfortable in all water conditions. It cuts the waves nicely and really makes a great cruising boat - except you don't get the speed or fuel economy of a stern drive. I have caught some spray over in the driver's seat on very windy days.

5. The interior layout and roominess is awesome. There's plenty of storage and space for people to move around. I had 12 people in the boat and it didn't feel crowded at all. The ice chest is convenient although it's easy to bend the hinge that holds up the seat. I already broke it. The bow is very comfortable for 2 or more adults to stretch out - much bigger than the X2. Sitting in the boat feels very secure because of the depth of the gunwale. The stereo sounds good - although I admit it's not as good as the stereo in the new SA Nautique 220, and with 4 tower speakers I still can't really hear much behind the boat while wakeboarding. The bimini top works nicely, it's easy to put up and down. The cover on the bimini is cumbersome to put back on.

5. The fit and finish is unmatched by any other boat in my opinion. The vinyl, carpet, gauges, BIG, stereo system, tower, board racks etc are all top of the line. Although I have a couple gripes. First, the shower. The shower assembly is all made of plastic, so the shower door latch is already broken as well as the piece that holds the spray head in place while it's closed. It's also difficult to get the right temperature, the pump loses suction easily, and it's cumbersome to get the shower head back in its storage spot. I wasn't sure how much I would use a shower, but it sure is great to fill up your wet suit with warm water before you jump in to cold water. I just wish it was on par with the rest of the boat as far as quality i.e. made out of SS.
Second, the large seat on the port side always raises up unless you put some weight on top of it. It's just annoying. The shock is too strong.
Third, the hinge on the ice chest seat is a great idea but it doesn't take much to bend it. I think it needs a beefier hinge or different design.
Fourth, I love the tower, but I hate that it's such a pain to fold down. You need a 12' tall garage door to fit in a garage. with it up and 9' with it down.
Fifth, the tower camera quality isn't great, but it's a fun toy. The swivel and camera set up works fine. We have fun laughing at ourselves and it's also a good training tool. I recommend getting a microphone to go with it. You might save yourself some money and get an aftermarket camera attachement with a better camera.

6. Towing - It's a heavy boat and my Toyota Sequoia has a hard time towing over 60 mph. If you are going to tow much I would consider a diesel or big V8. I have the Mastercraft low profile trailer, and I have no complaints. The breaks work great, the Boat buddy is nice, the Fulton winch and jack are top notch and plenty of places to put your feet to climb in the boat. Also, I don't tow with the cover on because it leaves very fine scratch marks under the rub rail.

What year Sequoia? 4.7 or 5.7?

vision
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
It's a heavy boat, so I have no regrets with this engine except it seems like it burns a lot of gas 10 -14 gal/hr.

Wow, that is high. Is that weighted beyond std ballast? My X-star is roughly the same weight and with 2500 lbs ballast I use half that amount of gas with my MCX. Is there that much difference in fuel economy between the LY6 and MCX or is this a hull difference?

TallRedRider
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
I do not believe that there is any boat that puts out a great wake with a stock ballast that is only around 1000 pounds. Pretty much every boat needs to add some extra. The dealership is blowing smoke if they told anyone they can surf decently with stock ballast only.

My 2010 Tundra with the same engine as the Sequoia has, pulls my 45 very well, so I am going to assume that you have a weaker engine.

The 4 tower speakers come drastically underpowered from the factory. Put a real amp in there and they work OK for boarding. Not great, but you should be able to hear them.

TallRedRider
12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Wow, that is high. Is that weighted beyond std ballast? My X-star is roughly the same weight and with 2500 lbs ballast I use half that amount of gas with my MCX. Is there that much difference in fuel economy between the LY6 and MCX or is this a hull difference?

Torque costs money. 10-14 GPH is what I get with the 8.1 in my X45 with 2,000 pounds ballast total.

Vision, You really get 5-7 gallons per engine hour while wakeboarding with 2500 pounds of ballast with the MCX? Your guys must fall a lot and you take a long time idling back to get them.

vision
12-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Torque costs money. 10-14 GPH is what I get with the 8.1 in my X45 with 2,000 pounds ballast total.

Vision, You really get 5-7 gallons per engine hour while wakeboarding with 2500 pounds of ballast with the MCX? Your guys must fall a lot and you take a long time idling back to get them.

LOL. We do fall a lot! I top off the tank after every day of use and record my hours used. We averaged 5.45 GPH this Summer (135 hours). That was probably 90% wakeboarding. Uses closer to 7 GPH when we surf.

ttu
12-14-2010, 08:53 AM

i am curious to as to what year. i have a 08 with the 5.7 and tow capacity is close to the 10K range. tows my x2 like a champ.

rgardjr1
12-14-2010, 11:55 AM
You need a 12' tall garage door to fit in a garage. with it up and 9' with it down.

Deal breaker for me. Only have an 8' garage at the lake.

dlamont
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
You can surf the X25 with stock ballast. And it surfs quite well. It surfs better with extra weight in the back corner but I have surfed the X25 with 4 guys in the boat and a rider. I'm about 185lbs on a good day and I surf either the Blue Lake or Swallow by Inland Surfer. The trick is your surf tabs need to be all the way over on one side and the attitude plate should be down about 40%. I don't know why it surfs better with the center plated down but it does.
But if you want a great surf wake put about 500-600lbs in the rear corner, sit someone on the backwards seat (not recommended by MC) and the wake is huge!!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2010, 02:09 PM
You can surf the X25 with stock ballast. And it surfs quite well. It surfs better with extra weight in the back corner but I have surfed the X25 with 4 guys in the boat and a rider. I'm about 185lbs on a good day and I surf either the Blue Lake or Swallow by Inland Surfer. The trick is your surf tabs need to be all the way over on one side and the attitude plate should be down about 40%. I don't know why it surfs better with the center plated down but it does.
But if you want a great surf wake put about 500-600lbs in the rear corner, sit someone on the backwards seat (not recommended by MC) and the wake is huge!!

Not recommended by the Coast Guard, Sheriff's Patrol, Lake Patrol........either.

willyt
12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I do not believe that there is any boat that puts out a great wake with a stock ballast that is only around 1000 pounds. Pretty much every boat needs to add some extra. The dealership is blowing smoke if they told anyone they can surf decently with stock ballast only.

I believed this too, until i got my first, and second sets behind this boat. This is coming from a total wakesnob too, I regularly put 6-8 people and 2300-3000lbs in my 05 X2, have ridden stars with anywhere from 2-3k in them. Granted, the couple days I did ride behind the 25 we had 12 people, but I just rode stock ballast, and it was amazing, couldnít ask for a better shape or size (obviously, this is all IMO). I didnít believe it initially either, but all the doubting Thomasí out there, go take a demo in one and youíll be a believer.

TallRedRider
12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
EDIT: I should be saying 'wave' in my post.

Willy, please clarify, did you surf, or wakeboard and with, or without the 12 people in the boat?

It sounds like you are saying the stock wake was great with 12 people in the boat.

willyt
12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
dar, :shocked:
sorry, we were wakeboarding. never surfed behind it, but i've heard the same, you need more weight on one side than stock (as with every other boat on the market).

MattsCraft
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I surfed it with stock ballast and tabs 4 peeps in the boat, not sure how they were set but the wave was huge, about a foot taller than my X2 with stock plus sacks etc. and 10 people! My 09 X2 puts out a killer surf wave, at least I thought so until I surfed the 25, not only is the wave huge, the pocket is a nice distance away from the boat!

osuwaterboy
12-14-2010, 06:55 PM

My sequoia is a 2003 model with 4.7L engine. It does ok most of the time pulling my X-25, but it definitely struggles on hills and over 60-65 mph.

osuwaterboy
12-14-2010, 07:00 PM

I agree with the surf tabs all the way over to one side and attitude plate at 40%, it makes a nice wake shape. I load the rear ballast full on one side, empty on the other, and the kgb at about 60%. I still need more ballast to be able to surf without the rope. I'm 210 lbs riding a Hyperlite Broadcast.

sand2snow22
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, that boat/trailer is heavy for that motor. It will get the job done, but I think you will like the 5.7 better :)

What size broadcast? I bet money you could ride ropeless with a better board.....

JohnE
12-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, that boat/trailer is heavy for that motor. It will get the job done, but I think you will like the 5.7 better :)

What size broadcast? I bet money you could ride ropeless with a better board.....

Heck I can ride the 214 with stock ballast and a broadcast. And I suck at it.

dlamont
12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd try riding something more buoyant than a broadcast. Have you tried emptying the kgb? It seemed to make a better wave with just the port ballast full for us.

jbkriss
12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
It was stated earlier that you need a 12' garage to get it in with the tower up and a 9' garage with the tower down. I have an 09 x-star and it seems there's more than a 3' difference when up vs. down. Maybe it's deceiving.

osuwaterboy
12-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I have the Broadcast 5.6 and can't ride ropeless for more than a few seconds. I'll try emptying the kgb. Any suggestions for a better board? Maybe I'm just too fat.

As far as the 9' garage door requirement, I lacked about 6" to be able to get in an 8' door, but it could have been because of the slope of the driveway. When you lay the tower down it still sticks up to somewhere around the top of the windshield.

dlamont
12-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I'd give the Inland Surfer Blue Lake a try or the Redtide if you want something bigger.

jbkriss
12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I have the Broadcast 5.6 and can't ride ropeless for more than a few seconds. I'll try emptying the kgb. Any suggestions for a better board? Maybe I'm just too fat.

As far as the 9' garage door requirement, I lacked about 6" to be able to get in an 8' door, but it could have been because of the slope of the driveway. When you lay the tower down it still sticks up to somewhere around the top of the windshield.

Yeah, that's what my x-star does too. The x25 must sit a little higher on the trailer than the x-star, maybe due to higher gunwales.

ttu
12-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd give the Inland Surfer Blue Lake a try or the Redtide if you want something bigger.

i will second that. the blue lake is a great board.