PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate Speedometer with VDIG

vision
10-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Anyone know what the number on the VDIG speedometer calibration screen means (beside the speed listing)?

98InTheHole
11-09-2010, 01:15 AM
I would also like to know what that number means. I've tried doing a calibration on my 2010 X45, when on the calibration screen, I can get to the correct GPS-like speed, I then exit the screen and things start looking strange.

On the image here, see the speed indicated on the bottom right, that is the correct actual GPS speed, the speed in the middle of the screen is like the "old" speed, before I did any calibration.

But anyway after shutting off and starting her up again, the calibration I did is gone, things go back to normal, but still my speedo reads 2-3 miles below actual GPS speeds.

Anyone has any idea of what's going on?

starrski
03-26-2011, 07:44 PM
it is my understanding and experience is that all this screen does is make the vdig speed display read the same as the analog speedo to adjust for paddle wheel to rpm variances.

to correct the actual speeds, you need to set the analog speedo using the adjustment calibration rocker switch and a gps or slalom course/stop watch process. (See the gauges section of your owners manual.)

Then you calibrate vdig speed to the analog speed using this setting.

once this is set, you then have to go into perfect pass and calibrate its rpm settings to work at the desired speeds. again a gps or timed slalom run.

there are also settings in perfect pass for both slalom and wakeboard to define how agressive the throttle should be to get back to speed. you set a default, and then can tweak it for each riders preference settings if you want to get that fancy.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN WHEN YOU FIND SETTINGS YOU LIKE! you will lose everything if somebody resets VDIG or replaces your computer. The settings also may change a lot if you change props! It also seems to need some minor tweaking if you have to change paddle wheels for the speedo.

I have a 2008 X-14 with the 1.5:1 tranny. I have to change all of these settings every time vdig gets reset because the factory default settings are for the 1:1 tranny.

i still have not figured out good settings for this tranny with perfect pass in wakeboard mode after two seasons. (it took me well into the second season to figure out that it was the tranny changing variation of speed to rpm that was the issue.)

ShawnB
08-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Reviving an old thread here -- I was trying to calibrate the speedo in the X25 last night and it was driving me nuts. There is no adjustment calibration rocker like there was in the older boats -- just the adjustment in the BIG. Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

PS funny side note, the speedo has been 3 mph off since we got the boat so I thought I was wakeboarding at 21 this whole time and was really running over 24 mph according to GPS.

jwardenjr
08-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Reviving an old thread here -- I was trying to calibrate the speedo in the X25 last night and it was driving me nuts. There is no adjustment calibration rocker like there was in the older boats -- just the adjustment in the BIG. Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

PS funny side note, the speedo has been 3 mph off since we got the boat so I thought I was wakeboarding at 21 this whole time and was really running over 24 mph according to GPS.

Shawn

After you figure it out can you pass on the info ? My X-25 will be here soon and I dont want to be wakeboarding at 24 mph ...

davidstan
08-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Shawn

After you figure it out can you pass on the info ? My X-25 will be here soon and I dont want to be wakeboarding at 24 mph ...
I used an iPhone gps speed app to check my speedo and thankfully it was on the nose but found out my truck is off 3 mph and confirmed it w/ a garmin. Not a bad free app to have.

ShawnB
08-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I used an iPhone gps speed app to check my speedo and thankfully it was on the nose but found out my truck is off 3 mph and confirmed it w/ a garmin. Not a bad free app to have.

According to my iPhone the X25 is 3 mph off and no matter how I adjust the slider on the calibration screen it remains so. As far as the boat is concerned I board at 21 and as long as the speed is held I don't really care. It's just something that is bugging me.

GT500 MC
08-05-2011, 12:43 PM
it is my understanding and experience is that all this screen does is make the vdig speed display read the same as the analog speedo to adjust for paddle wheel to rpm variances.

to correct the actual speeds, you need to set the analog speedo using the adjustment calibration rocker switch and a gps or slalom course/stop watch process. (See the gauges section of your owners manual.)

Then you calibrate vdig speed to the analog speed using this setting.once this is set, you then have to go into perfect pass and calibrate its rpm settings to work at the desired speeds. again a gps or timed slalom run.

there are also settings in perfect pass for both slalom and wakeboard to define how agressive the throttle should be to get back to speed. you set a default, and then can tweak it for each riders preference settings if you want to get that fancy.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN WHEN YOU FIND SETTINGS YOU LIKE! you will lose everything if somebody resets VDIG or replaces your computer. The settings also may change a lot if you change props! It also seems to need some minor tweaking if you have to change paddle wheels for the speedo.

I have a 2008 X-14 with the 1.5:1 tranny. I have to change all of these settings every time vdig gets reset because the factory default settings are for the 1:1 tranny.

i still have not figured out good settings for this tranny with perfect pass in wakeboard mode after two seasons. (it took me well into the second season to figure out that it was the tranny changing variation of speed to rpm that was the issue.)

So the vdig speed display just mirrors what the analog mph gauge is reading from the paddlewheel? I think I need to look at mine as I was only reading 38mph at WOT at sea level with my x14 and thought (and it felt) that it was a bit light. 13.5 or 13.75 pitch prop w/MCX.

gts-20
09-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Bumping an old thread......we calibrated our VDIG this past weekend. Here is the directions from the VDIG owners manual.......I used my phone GPS as an external source.

Speedometer Calibration
1. Use the SCROLL UP ARROW or SCROLL DOWN ARROW buttons to display the Set Up screen.
2. Push SELECT button to display the SET UP SUB-MENU.
3. Repeatedly push the SCROLL DOWN ARROW button until the SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION line is
high-lited.
4. Push SELECT button to display the SPEED CALIBRATION screen.
5. The current speed is displayed on the left side of the screen and a slider is provided on the right side of
the display. The number below the slider is the XXXX.
6. Use the SCROLL UP ARROW or SCROLL DOWN ARROW buttons to adjust the displayed speed to agree
with your external reference.
7. Once the speeds are in agreement push the MENU button twice to store the calibration and return to the MENU