PDA

View Full Version : What would you get #2

6ballsisall
07-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Ok thanks for your advice in my earlier thread. I have given it a lot of thought and done some research. While it makes the most sense for me to drive a car, I just can't get excited about the idea of that. The wife has a Jeep GC so we already have one SUV. I think at this point I am going back to a truck, I just can't make up my mind full size or mid size. I REALLY like the 05' Tacoma and think the size would be just fine. However, I can't help but wonder if it might make more sense to get a full size. With the Employee Pricing from the Big 3 I could almost pay the same $$ for a Full size as I would the Tacoma. 99% of the time the truck will just roll down the highway to and from my office and sit in the airport parking lot. In a year or two the wife and I would like to get a camper that would could still pull the boat with two. So if I get a Small truck I am limited to a Slide in Pop up, whereas a Full Size (I would most likely buy another Cummins) I could get a smaller 5th wheel and pull the boat behind that. Need opinions please!! Can't make a decision, help me fall off one side of the fence or the other!

Edit: With either truck I would get a 4 door and slap a topper on it

Ferdinand_DeMarco
07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
With the Employee Pricing from the Big 3 I could almost pay the same $$ for a Full size as I would the Tacoma.

is there anything to that concept or is it just another marketing ploy?

kinda like all these fake going out of business sales :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
07-10-2005, 12:50 AM
is there anything to that concept or is it just another marketing ploy?

kinda like all these fake going out of business sales :rolleyes:

My 2 cents would be a combo of marketing but more so, manufacturers a little in need of revenue regardless of profit levels at this point. It's a twirling economic cycle they put themselves into

Cloaked
07-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Truck. I wouldn't do without it.

2500HD Duramax/Allison

Topper outfitted on mine V V V ( I luVs the frameless windows on the topper) :cool:

6ballsisall
07-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Thats good looking sporty! What brand of topper is that? If I could ask, what did it run you (topper) I haven't been in the market for a topper for a good 6 years and have no clue what they cost these days

Cloaked
07-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Thats good looking sporty! What brand of topper is that? If I could ask, what did it run you (topper) I haven't been in the market for a topper for a good 6 years and have no clue what they cost these daysThat's a Leer topper; Frameless windows and door, flip outs in the back of the side window, inside light, fold down front window that allows for cleaning the outside rear cab (and front topper window), and carpeted liner over the inside fiberglass.

I got it from a Leer dealer (and friend) in Bloomington, IL when I was working in Bloomington. $1200 (installed....bolted to the top bed rail). He is good to deal with.

Necessary Truck Accessories
Email: mike@necessarytruckaccessories.com
2705 SOUTH MAIN STREET BLOOMINGTON, IL 61704 (309) 827-7811

Thanks for the kind words....

BriEOD
07-10-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't quite know what to make of the employee discount. My wife asked my Friday night if I wanted to go "look" at trucks. I told her not unless she would let me buy one. :rolleyes: If it were me Jeff I would get a full size. More specifically a full size, F-150, 4x4. If you look on your dealers website it probably lists the employee price. Although I don't believe it's truly the employee price. GM sold more vehicle last month then they had in 19 years!

X2M
07-10-2005, 03:48 PM
I don't quite know what to make of the employee discount. My wife asked my Friday night if I wanted to go "look" at trucks. I told her not unless she would let me buy one. :rolleyes: If it were me Jeff I would get a full size. More specifically a full size, F-150, 4x4. If you look on your dealers website it probably lists the employee price. Although I don't believe it's truly the employee price. GM sold more vehicle last month then they had in 19 years!

My husband and I had the same conversation. Only difference was that I did not want to go look unless I could get a new YukonXL. ;)

I heard somewhere that the prices are really not that good. They are about the same as what you would get with rebates and offers. You only end up saving about 500 - 1000.

Great marketing idea. Who ever thought of it will be getting a big raise it bet. :)

BriEOD
07-10-2005, 03:54 PM
It's definitely a great marketing idea. But, I really wonder if it is such a "great" deal.

BriEOD
07-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Only difference was that I did not want to go look unless I could get a new YukonXL. ;)

MarkP just bought his wife one of those.

I'm bad I'd end up with a new King Ranch F150 4x4. I'm to impulsive. That's why I let the off duty commander handle the finance department.

X2M
07-10-2005, 04:01 PM
MarkP just bought his wife one of those.

I'm bad I'd end up with a new King Ranch F150 4x4. I'm to impulsive. That's why I let the off duty commander handle the finance department.

You are a smart man. The off duty commander is always right. :D

I have a 2001 YukonXL 4x4 and LOVE it. Well except for the color. I didn't want white. :)

6ballsisall
07-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Yep its so true! My wife is the CFO. I stopped even asking for monthly reports years ago. She does a great job with it all

parks_jr_55
07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
How about this Dodge SRT-10.

Its got a 8.3 liter V10 with 500 HP. That should pull the boat pretty good.

And its a 4 door. Room for everyone.
It also looks pretty sporty.

Oh yeah....MSRP $51,710, and the incentives don't apply

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/4drSRT-10.jpg

On a more realistic note. The Tundras are nice trucks. You may not get incentives, but you will save more on the other end (selling/trade in)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/tacoma.jpg

Bongo
07-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Go full size. Get something you ride in, not something you wear. My dad had a mid-size and he hated it, even though he very rarely pulled or hauled anything significant. (Actually, I haven't been in the Tacoma, so only have 1/2 the comparison knowledge.)

I've got a Ford F-150 4X4 with a backseat. Unfortunately, with suicide doors in the back. My advice: Get the bigger 4 doors so you don't get caught in the parking-lot triangle.

Ford, GM and Dodge have all been spending a lot of money and competing on their trucks, so expect all are good. I tend to be partial to Ford pickups and GM cars, but that's more from habit than serious contemplation. Toyota, of course, has great quality ratings throughout their line.

Bongo

Edit: I never feel the boat is pushing me around when pulling with the fullsize pickup. While cautious, I was much more cautious and concerned when pulling the boat with a Jeep Cherokee. Wheel base is long on the pickup, brakes and wheels are big, and weight is better.

6ballsisall
07-11-2005, 12:45 AM
How about this Dodge SRT-10.

Its got a 8.3 liter V10 with 500 HP. That should pull the boat pretty good.

And its a 4 door. Room for everyone.
It also looks pretty sporty.

Oh yeah....MSRP $51,710, and the incentives don't apply

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/4drSRT-10.jpg

On a more realistic note. The Tundras are nice trucks. You may not get incentives, but you will save more on the other end (selling/trade in)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/tacoma.jpg

Yeah those RT10s are sweet!! Of course for $50k I could make an 05' Cummins break 600 hp and 1200ft lbs and still get decent mileage. :wavey:

At this point leaning more towards a full size. I repriced out a Taco and for $31k I can get a real loaded 1/2 ton for that or less.

parks_jr_55
07-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew-$28,217.50 MSRP after incentives

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/ford.jpg

Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab $18,994 MSRP after incentives.
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Disel $25,426 MSRP after incentives.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/dodge.jpg

Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT$30,225.13 MSRP after incentives

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/chevy1.jpg

Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double Cab $ 30,115 MSRP NO incentives

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/yota.jpg

JLeuck64
07-11-2005, 02:12 AM
I am REAL partial to Toyota Tundras. After I broke in the engine, and if I am easy on the gas pedal, I can sqeeze out 19 - 20 mpg on the freeway. No JOKE! Of course I would never see the kind of mileage towing like you would with a diesel, but I suspect fuel prices are never coming down again...

I used to tow an 81 Nautique with a 2WD Toyota truck before I got the Tundra. Getting off the ramp is a breeze now days!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Thats good looking sporty! What brand of topper is that? If I could ask, what did it run you (topper) I haven't been in the market for a topper for a good 6 years and have no clue what they cost these days
I have a Leer on my '02 Ford also. I will say this. I HATED IT until recently. I bought the truck new in march 02 after a 3 month wait of ordering the truck it arrived. I ordered the cap at the same time. With 6 miles on the truck I had it put on. It cost me $1900.00 out the door. I believe it was the XT at the time, with the Yakima Rack system, one piece side windows, bed moldings, window screens, folding front window, interior carpet and light, and color matched to truck. After having a few major problems with it, and one major one a month and a half ago that "was the straw that broke the camels back"

A month and a half ago I stormed into the dealer I bought it at and complained and they pulled it off and sent it back to Leer.
Well I come to find out my cap was discontinued after I bought it. I don't wonder why with all the problems I had. Leer was good enough to build me a brand new one to the exact specs of my old one. The new one is now the XQ and believe me, everything about it is much better. All the problems my old one had are now bigger, beefier and heavier duty.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I am going to suggest you look at the Ford Diesel. They have all the bugs worked out on the new engine. Between my friends and I, we have 8 Fords with diesels, 1 Dodge with the cummins, and 1 Dodge with the Hemi. And the worst on mileage in the Hemi while towing. We all get between 14 and 18 mpg in the diesels while towing. I do know of some having issues with the '04's at first, but they have been worked out. I wouldn't hesitate to get an '06. No gas job though. It is diesel from here on out. Although the only downside to the new ones, they don't have the same tough rumble mine has that diesels of old days have been known for. Now they make so little noise and smoke, you hardly know they are diesel.

I do find it very interesting to find in my area,(a guess) about 95% of all Tow trucks, ambulances, police trucks and fire rescue equipment is a Ford with the Powerstroke. Kind of makes me wonder. It can't be the price, around here Fords are the most expensive of the 3.

And if you are not in a rush. I do hear Dodge is coming out with a crew cab and a half, which should give huge amounts of space inside, and still have a bed for safety of hauling goods. Might be worth the wait to see if they produce such a truck.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
What I hate about all the GM trucks, and I think all imports is the use of IFS :mad: and IRS :mad: . They are comfy if you desire the car ride, but for safety, towing and durability, I need the solid axles :) . Just my Opinion.

BriEOD
07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
We all get between 14 and 18 mpg in the diesels while towing.

How about just normal driving?

6ballsisall
07-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Best I ever got that I remember from my 02' Cummins was 22 or 23 mpg. That was traveling about 65 mph thru Nebraska. Diesels are pretty sweet, even with the massive HP mine made I did that. Course if you choose to really "Accentuate" the power it won't do that :D

6ballsisall
07-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Well I may get lucky! For the umpteenth time at the shop I "think" they got the darn squeaks fixed and all is good! If so, I am going to keep the Durango, I like the vehicle, just couldn't handle the noises a $40k SUV shouldn't make. Apparently there was a TSB for an all new exhaust hanger assembly and it appears that may have solved the problem. I hope so!!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=BriEOD]How about just normal driving?[/QUOTE
About the same. I don't have the fancy digital MPG readout in mine. But a few of my buddies do, and theirs usually read about 18 while driving highway about 60mph. I have to calculate my mpg at fuel ups. Their are systems out there that boost HP, torque, all while increasing mpg. I don't see the need for any of it, but they are out there.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Best I ever got that I remember from my 02' Cummins was 22 or 23 mpg. That was traveling about 65 mph thru Nebraska. Diesels are pretty sweet, even with the massive HP mine made I did that. Course if you choose to really "Accentuate" the power it won't do that :D
With the new technology going into the testing and tuning of the aftermarket companies, it is not hard to find 800HP and 1000 ft/pd torque. Take for example adding a propane kit. These kits increase your mpg, in the meantime give huge boosts of power. Or an aftermarket turbo kit. Talk about getting 25mpg and 600-800hp and 600-1000 ft/pd tq. Sounds to god to be true, but I have ben to shows that thats what these people are producing. There isn't a gas job that can produce anything even close to these numbers.

BriEOD
07-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply Tim. I'll probably be looking for a truck around the New Year. Those Diesel 250's are sweet. But realistically I don't need something that big. I pull my boat and 4 wheeler trailer and make weekend trips to Home Depot for lumber and landscaping. I think a 150 will do me fine.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
It's definitely a great marketing idea. But, I really wonder if it is such a "great" deal.
Well it looks like they all jumped on the bandwagon. Ford, GM, and Dodge are all doing something similar.
I stopped at my dealer on my way home to see what your up against for prcing out a Ford. The window sticker on my duplicate truck in '06 trim is $45,145. Diesel, Crew, 4X4, Auto, etc.... With $7000.00 of that being diesel and auto upgrades. The base price with no options was $34,920. I would think with all the incentives that this truck would go for $40,000 OTD. This is a guess.

6ballsisall
07-12-2005, 10:31 AM
With the new technology going into the testing and tuning of the aftermarket companies, it is not hard to find 800HP and 1000 ft/pd torque. Take for example adding a propane kit. These kits increase your mpg, in the meantime give huge boosts of power. Or an aftermarket turbo kit. Talk about getting 25mpg and 600-800hp and 600-1000 ft/pd tq. Sounds to god to be true, but I have ben to shows that thats what these people are producing. There isn't a gas job that can produce anything even close to these numbers.

Tru' Dat! However, if one is not going to need the power I did run the math over the weekend, for the Cummins engine upgrade as compared to the Hemi, for someone who only does sporadic pulling of anything with weight it takes greater than 100k miles to pay for the Diesel engine upgrade as compared to a gasser. The thing is once you pull with a Diesel properly setup, you'd never want to pull with a gasser again! :headbang:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply Tim. I'll probably be looking for a truck around the New Year. Those Diesel 250's are sweet. But realistically I don't need something that big. I pull my boat and 4 wheeler trailer and make weekend trips to Home Depot for lumber and landscaping. I think a 150 will do me fine.
Yes, but the 150 will get you about 10mpg empty. Forget what the window says. We have two trucks with the 5.4 and both get less than 10mpg on an average tank with little to no towing. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to push the diesel thing on you as much as it may look. I was glad I made the choice I did after someone explained the details to me. I was just trying to do the same.

BriEOD
07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah, they definitely all jumped on the train. I even saw a commercial for Saturn last night doing the same.

Those trucks are sweet but I just don't think I need anything that big. My wife already has an Expedition so we might as well have a direct deposit to the gas station every month.

6ballsisall
07-12-2005, 10:36 AM
My wife already has an Expedition so we might as well have a direct deposit to the gas station every month.

Tell me about it! Although things have gotten better since the wife quit her job (soon to be stay at home mom) Monthly gas expenditure went from about $800 per month to $350 per month! :woohoo:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:40 AM
If you want the truth about the downsides to a Diesel, and there are not many. #1-There is 4 GALLONS of oil in this thing, which make changing it expensive and troublesome, the oil filter alone holds 2 quarts. #2- oil filters are $20.00 a piece, #3-Air filters are $50.00 each, #4- Fuel filters are $30.00 each, #5- and the last but not least, they are hard to start in the winter. It ALWAYS starts, but you MUST let it warm up for a few minutes before attempting to drive or it will fall on its face. There is no jump in a WOT it when it it cold like you can do with a gas job.
Just trying to tell you the ups and downs. And I will say again, I would pay the extra all over again in a second, the power alone is worth very penny.

6ballsisall
07-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Workin's right I did my own oil changes and used Rotella and between filters and oil I got it down to about $20 a change, but at the dealerships the will charge you in the neighborhood of $80. Heres a hint NEVER buy your filters at the dealership, especially if you get a Cummins, just go to a Freightliner or Pete dealership, they carry all the stuff you would need for a heck uva lot less! The other stuff never really bothered me. Mine was really juiced up and harder to start in extreme cold and high altitudes (at 12k feet and 20 below it darn near wouldn't start!) What annoyed me was having to cool it down after getting to my destination for a minute or two. They sure a great ride though!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah, they definitely all jumped on the train. I even saw a commercial for Saturn last night doing the same.

Those trucks are sweet but I just don't think I need anything that big. My wife already has an Expedition so we might as well have a direct deposit to the gas station every month.

I drive mine about 500miles every week, on just barely over one tank of fuel a week. You don't have to remind me. Around here I pay $2.69 a gallon at 30 gallons a tank.
Although my wifes Yukon drives about 100 miles a week and burns about 10 gallons. At $2.59 a gln.

HMMM, should have bought some stock!!!

Maybe I will have to look into getting that VW Jetta TDI (Diesel) getting 53mpg just to commute and leave the rig parked!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I am starting to feel like I am here on the DIESEL talk website. :) :) :)

Thrall
07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
The factory 05 price breaks are real, and if Dodge had the Mega Cabs out and on special pricing, I'd probably be driving one already.
On Sat, a friend and I got the ole' salesman trap at the Ford Dealer when we were down there for parts. Looked at a '05 F250, Powerstroke, crew cab, FX4. Sticker price was almost $41K, and they were selling for just over $32k. Pretty sweet deal, considering 4 yrs ago, my 1/2 ton Dodge, ext cab, 4x4 cost close to $30k, with alot of haggling.

Scot
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Coming from a current owner of a 95 Tahoe 4x4 and 94 Chevy ext cab Z71... I would have to take a serious look at the Titan.... From the interior standpoint there is a ton of space... especially in the back seat... Can't speak for anything else mechanical or towing wise.... But in the end I will most likely keep my 94 just cuz I like it, (and it just looks cool), and buy another tahoe.... has to be 4x4....

OhioProstar
07-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I just wonder how all these lower purchase prices will effect the used truck market over the next three years. Either way I am a big fan of my Chevy 1500 Z71. It averaged 14 MPG towing the in-laws 21' Rinker down to Cumberland (he towed my PS190 with his Jeep GC) and gets 19 around town. Of course some engines do better than others and I run Lucas Oil Additives.

djhuff
07-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Tru' Dat! However, if one is not going to need the power I did run the math over the weekend, for the Cummins engine upgrade as compared to the Hemi, for someone who only does sporadic pulling of anything with weight it takes greater than 100k miles to pay for the Diesel engine upgrade as compared to a gasser. The thing is once you pull with a Diesel properly setup, you'd never want to pull with a gasser again! :headbang:

This is true, but if you take into account resale value, it works out into savings within the first 2 years. Gotta figure all costs of ownership and depreciation is one of them.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Well its back in the shop! Been there 3 days now and no such luck :rant: I am ready to strangle the dealer, they don't seem to really care that I am without a vehicle. I made a call into DC before taking it in this time and they asked for one more chance with a Chrysler service tech to look at it. I'm callin DC tomorrow, this is BS!!! I want out now!! :rant: :rant:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Well its back in the shop! Been there 3 days now and no such luck :rant: I am ready to strangle the dealer, they don't seem to really care that I am without a vehicle. I made a call into DC before taking it in this time and they asked for one more chance with a Chrysler service tech to look at it. I'm callin DC tomorrow, this is BS!!! I want out now!! :rant: :rant:
What is in the shop???:confused:

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:26 PM
What is in the shop???:confused:

2004 Dodge Durango Limited w/ Hemi
24k miles, been in the shop now 6 times for obnoxiously loud squeaks coming from the rear of the vehicle.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Dodge

Enough said!!

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Enough said!!

ah, a wise guy I see 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:35 PM
ah, a wise guy I see 8p
I have a relative and a friend that have your truck. No issues yet, but they don't have 24K on them yet. We shall see. Rear end (differential) kind of squeek or a suspension kind of squeek?

(And on the wise guy note.. I told you what to buy, you chose not to listen)8p

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:38 PM
I have a relative and a friend that have your truck. No issues yet, but they don't have 24K on them yet. We shall see. Rear end (differential) kind of squeek or a suspension kind of squeek?

(And on the wise guy note.. I told you what to buy, you chose not to listen)8p

If they could figure out where the squeak is from it wouldn't squeak. They truly can't figure it out. They've checked, suspension, drivetrain, frame, body fit, etc.... and they are still scratching their heads on it. I am disapointed. I had an 02' Ram, drove the piss out of it and never had a lick of trouble. My wifes 04 GC is a great ride and no issues. My first car was a Chrysler Lebaron, great car and I really beat the piss out of it. I've had all Big 3 brands and like DC best but it's going to be really hard to get back into another one based on the way this is progressing.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:39 PM
This may not be AT ALL relative. But an experience I have a mental note of for future purposes. My buddy bought a brand new truck about 3 years ago. 2 1/2 years into it, found a hole in the roof where the factory forgot.missed "caulking" a section of the roof. Needless to say 2 1/2 years of water and elements inside. What did they do? Caulked it and let it go.. What happens when the truck rots from the inside out? They obviously won't have anything to do with it by that time right?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:44 PM
If they could figure out where the squeak is from it wouldn't squeak. They truly can't figure it out. They've checked, suspension, drivetrain, frame, body fit, etc.... and they are still scratching their heads on it. I am disapointed. I had an 02' Ram, drove the piss out of it and never had a lick of trouble. My wifes 04 GC is a great ride and no issues. My first car was a Chrysler Lebaron, great car and I really beat the piss out of it. I've had all Big 3 brands and like DC best but it's going to be really hard to get back into another one based on the way this is progressing.
They are owned by Mercedez Benz, you'd think they could build some quality vehicles. Although I have been reading about the funny issues that happen with these new high dollar too much technology cars. Drive down the road and turn the windshield wiper on and the in dash cd shoots out. Or the brakes are applied and the headlights flash. There was a huge article on this type stuff a few months ago. I got a kick out of reading it.

(And for the wise guy info, I am considering a dodge for my next truck) Cummins, super duper crew cab if they come out with it.;) Not that I have ever had one issue with my Ford P'strok'd Crew. Just want more interior if I can find it, and I don't like excursions.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:45 PM
I really am getting partial to the 05 Tacoma's. They have great styling, power, and Toyota reliability. I think I am apprehensive since its not an american brand. I like the new F150's but am apprehensive and uncertain I need something that large.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:46 PM
(And for the wise guy info, I am considering a dodge for my next truck) Cummins, super duper crew cab if they come out with it.;) \

Glad to hear you are coming to your senses. You'll enjoy having a real Diesel :purplaugh :D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:49 PM
I really am getting partial to the 05 Tacoma's. They have great styling, power, and Toyota reliability. I think I am apprehensive since its not an american brand. I like the new F150's but am apprehensive and uncertain I need something that large.
If they would only put a diesel in it, I would consider it too. They are very cool. I love the interiors. No diesel, not for me. I gotta have the grunt. I did not know what I was missing before this truck.
I saw on the news last night, something to do with Bush signing a bill that has manuf. getting TRUCKS in the 20+mpg range by 2008 I think I heard. This goes for diesels too. I better get on the ball and get one while they still make lots of power.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Glad to hear you are coming to your senses. You'll enjoy having a real Diesel :purplaugh :D
Yeah, yeah yeah. My buddy picked up his 05 today with the cummins. We shall see. The shootout begins.;)
One of the guys has the Banks kit on his 05 ford. And it is like having a hot rod, but weighs in a like 8000# We are anxious to see how long everything holds up on it with that kind of tq.
I would actually love to have an F750 with the International engine, or the CAT. But it won't fit in my garage,:( otherwise I would consider that.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 11:56 PM
The Banks kit?? Oh man, I hope he owns a bank, cuz all that happens is him getting taken to the bank. At least in Cummins world, Banks=way over rated hype

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 11:59 PM
A relative of mine with an 04 Ram 1500 Hemi. Had about 1000 miles on it. Was on the road driving, and EVERYTHING stopped working instantly. gauges, wipers, a/c, radio, headlights, everything. BUT the engine stay running and was able to drive to stop and catch his breath. Had to drive for about a mile with his head out the top of the door proped open because the windows wouldn't roll down. Mind you it was in the rain!! Got home, and panic'd, called the dealer, and was told it was an ignition switch, bring it in, it happens..!! They changed the switch and hasn't happened again (yet) WHAT THE H*LL IS THAT, it happens. Hmmm......

Workin' 4 Toys
08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
The Banks kit?? Oh man, I hope he owns a bank, cuz all that happens is him getting taken to the bank. At least in Cummins world, Banks=way over rated hype
Yup, I have not touched mine. If I get the commuter I am thinking of, I will consider the propane injection kit. Supposedly harmless IF installed properly and you don't push the limits.
Or maybe the cummins would need it:D .

6ballsisall
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Yup, I have not touched mine. If I get the commuter I am thinking of, I will consider the propane injection kit. Supposedly harmless IF installed properly and you don't push the limits.
Or maybe the cummins would need it:D .

Nah, I'd ditch the propane injection idea'r. Theres way more tuning you can do to a diesel than propane. Propane actually is quite hard on a diesel. Your EGT's will skyrocket and it's hard on head gaskets and cylinder pressures and Powerstrokes are known for poor head gaskets. If improperly managed, well you probably know what your looking at then............lots of $$$$$$ for repairs and no dealer will touch you

tones03
08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
should wait until this years out show so you can see the new GM trucks. They are Around a 1 and half years until they come out.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-25-2005, 11:09 PM
should wait until this years out show so you can see the new GM trucks. They are Around a 1 and half years until they come out.
We have one GMC. Thats all the GM trucks I can take. The flimsy as h*ll suspension systems with their IFS. They can shove that where the sun don't shine. Love GM, but I hate the suspensions. My next GM truck will probably be sent out to have a live axle put in it from the factory. If I ever find it nec. to replace the new Yukon. Not that I am a big fan of the Duramax, but would consider it higher on the list if they put a real axle under it.
I will be at the Chicago Auto show, haven't missed one in about 10 years.

6ballsisall
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
No GM vehicles for me. They just don't float my boat

Workin' 4 Toys
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Nah, I'd ditch the propane injection idea'r. Theres way more tuning you can do to a diesel than propane. Propane actually is quite hard on a diesel. Your EGT's will skyrocket and it's hard on head gaskets and cylinder pressures and Powerstrokes are known for poor head gaskets. If improperly managed, well you probably know what your looking at then............lots of $$$$$$ for repairs and no dealer will touch you
I know some people with very good reliability so far with them. A duramax and Powerstroke. Of course the ford is the old reliable 7.3. Nothing but good things to say so far. About two years on each setup. We shall see.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-25-2005, 11:14 PM
No GM vehicles for me. They just don't float my boat
My last chevy had 70K on it when traded for the GMC, never in the dealer or service shop once (other than maintenance) I have had outstanding luck with them. Same went for my Z28, never once in for service.
If they would just put a real axle in the trucks, I'd probably have two.

6ballsisall
08-25-2005, 11:17 PM
GM Styling just doesnt do anything for me at all. No doubt they do make a decent vehicle though

Maristar210
08-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Guys,

Us folks in the motor city state would really appreciate if you would buy a Ford, Dodge or a GM truck, you see we have families to feed and we do not seem to see any margin from the foreign owned truck manufacturers sales here in the great lakes state. While you are at it try not to buy anything that is labeled "made in China" if you do not mind as those bass - tirds have lied and manipulated their currency beyond belief. Us Michigan manufacturing business leaders are in trouble. Do what is right and buy american, your childrens future may depend on it.

Steve

Ric
08-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Steve I feel like I just got thru watching "Roger and Me" after reading that post. ;)
I think I've bought enough Chiivy trucks in my life to feed several families in Flint! :purplaugh

Jeff I really really like the look and the fabled reliability of the toyota trucks but have never succomed to the temptation. They are cool though!

Ohio, I too think the used market is glutted now from the zero percent schemes from a few years ago and now this employee thing will flood it even more. Trick is, find some individual to buy your trade-in from you but take them to the dealer with you and have them write it up as a trade-in. They call it an "in and out" and it saves you sales tax while bringing more for your trade in at the same time.

Diesels are made for far more work than I do in a truck. I've pulled some big loads of steel with a cabful of workers, and done plenty of camping boating trips with my 6.0 gassers and really have nothing to complain about except they don't make that cool diesel sound.

I've had both and you guys can have your solid front axle 4x4's, mi gusta the ride in an ifs chivvvy vato.

PendO
08-26-2005, 12:49 AM
In response to the original post ... instead of a truck that can tow a camper to go with the SUV to tow the boat ... get a nice RV to tow the boat, you and your wife can travel together;) I have a 99 Dodge 3/4 Ton crew cab Diesel (140K miles), and every chance I get to drive my wife's 02 Exploder, I take it ... after a while it is just a pain in the butt to find a parking spot with a big truck ... I get better fuel/gas mileage than her, wish they had a small diesel engine for the mid size SUV's as I would probably own one (say mid/high 20's fuel mileage)... oh, and have you ever fit into a parkade, only to find out that the sign was too high, so now you have to let the air out of your tires so you don't scrape the cannopy;)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Guys,

Us folks in the motor city state would really appreciate if you would buy a Ford, Dodge or a GM truck, you see we have families to feed and we do not seem to see any margin from the foreign owned truck manufacturers sales here in the great lakes state. While you are at it try not to buy anything that is labeled "made in China" if you do not mind as those bass - tirds have lied and manipulated their currency beyond belief. Us Michigan manufacturing business leaders are in trouble. Do what is right and buy american, your childrens future may depend on it.

Steve
I am with you ALL the way brother!
I have a Ford, And a GMC. My wife just told me last night her next ride will be an Avalanche (and yes her Yukon is not even a year old yet, spoiled rotten I think). Not sure why, and I don't care, but that it is, I love it when she thinks like me.
I guess thats one reason we have a MC.:)
I go out of my way to buy US made goods. I am on websites frequently looking up goods made here. There are some companies I find that make alot of goods here, and ship in some. It is tough to figure it out, but with enough research, it can be done. A good example is New Balance shoes, or Redwings. These companies try to compete but also try to keep their marketshare so to keep the price down the import. I understand the concept, but don't buy into it if I can withstand. Getting harder and harder.
One company that just moved overseas I was shocked was Radio Flyer. That they would never go, but they did.
What else can I do?

tones03
08-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Tim, all i can say is have her hold on to that yukon for a another year. The 900's GM is coming out with are awsome and will blow everyone away in terms of styling, inside and out. Plus it gets an upgraded, drivetrain.

SOMEDAY SOON
08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Incase anyone was wondering HOT off the press GM has extended the Employee Discount till the end of sept... So you have time to buy a GM truck if you are in the market....

Workin' 4 Toys
08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Tim, all i can say is have her hold on to that yukon for a another year. The 900's GM is coming out with are awsome and will blow everyone away in terms of styling, inside and out. Plus it gets an upgraded, drivetrain.
Its not even a year old.:eek: So we are not in the market yet. It's just funny to me she wants another GM. I am proud of her.
I look forward to seeing the truck you speak of. It is called a 900?
Last weekend I saw an "undercover" truck cruising down I80 in Michigan. I think it looked the size of a Yukon, but who knows what make it was. It was covered in the black disguise material. Kind of cool to see those on the road sometimes, you know someone has something up their sleeve.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Incase anyone was wondering HOT off the press GM has extended the Employee Discount till the end of sept... So you have time to buy a GM truck if you are in the market....
Just until they roll out their new bottom line pricing. Listed in the Chicago Tribune about a week or so ago, they had comparisons of 03/04/05/06 window sticker pricing of the suburban. The 06 was less than the 04. In other words, the window sticker for the 06 was "near" what we paid for the 04.

6ballsisall
08-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Well I picked up the Durango tonight......... the dealer is totally clueless as to what is causing the squeakin, at least they admitted that. Actually the dealer for the most part has been pretty cool except for they and DC don't know whats wrong with it. At least they aknowledge that. Now goes the process of the Lemon Law paperwork and letters and crap :rolleyes:

Kinda thinkin' about buyin a Certified Preowned Vehicle. I like the idea of someone else paying the big depreciation and with some of the manufacturers, you get warranty up to 100k miles and 2 more years. Anyone know anyone with a BMX X5 4.4 liter or a Mercedes AMG55? How do they like them?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Well I picked up the Durango tonight......... the dealer is totally clueless as to what is causing the squeakin, at least they admitted that. Actually the dealer for the most part has been pretty cool except for they and DC don't know whats wrong with it. At least they aknowledge that. Now goes the process of the Lemon Law paperwork and letters and crap :rolleyes:

Kinda thinkin' about buyin a Certified Preowned Vehicle. I like the idea of someone else paying the big depreciation and with some of the manufacturers, you get warranty up to 100k miles and 2 more years. Anyone know anyone with a BMX X5 4.4 liter or a Mercedes AMG55? How do they like them?
Yes, my buddy who is extremely well off I must add, kept the BMW X for 6 months then off'd it. Did not like the ride at all. His taste in ride are much different than mine I might add. He then got a (I might be wrong on the number, 755i. the one bigger than the 745) and has had that since. Not sure if he likes this more or not. His spare car is a Porsche.
No experience with the Benz. Quite of bunch of them at the dealer down the street here. Must be lease ends.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-27-2005, 12:25 AM

What dealer did you take it to? Don't count it out if you have only been to one.
The lemon law is brutal these days to get by. I wish you luck if you go that route.

6ballsisall
08-27-2005, 11:31 AM
What dealer did you take it to? Don't count it out if you have only been to one.
The lemon law is brutal these days to get by. I wish you luck if you go that route.

Its been to both the selling dealer (1 hour away) and my local dealer so 2 dealers in total. The CSR for DC seemed to pretty clearly say it fits the bill. I hope it goes smooth. If not there are plenty of attorneys that handle this type of gig and I have spoken to one already. I'd hope to not go that route as their fees are really steep. We'll see

6ballsisall
08-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes, my buddy who is extremely well off I must add, kept the BMW X for 6 months then off'd it. Did not like the ride at all. His taste in ride are much different than mine I might add. He then got a (I might be wrong on the number, 755i. the one bigger than the 745) and has had that since. Not sure if he likes this more or not. His spare car is a Porsche.
No experience with the Benz. Quite of bunch of them at the dealer down the street here. Must be lease ends.

I found a bad arse Porsche Cayyenne S here with 12k miles on it, they want $49k for it, about 10k higher than I am willing to go. Man if it was a little less I know what I'd be driving!!

6ballsisall
08-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Ok I probably wont buy another Dodge but this commercial cracks me up!! Ya'll have probably seen it but had to post a link. Click on the one with Snoop Dog

http://www.dodge.com/plus/index.html

erkoehler
08-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Durango. I still am having the issues with the brakes on mine. And the dealers state, "there is no problem."

6ballsisall
08-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Durango. I still am having the issues with the brakes on mine. And the dealers state, "there is no problem."

If you find a better ride, then you must buy! Ike, you shouldn't have told me that :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-27-2005, 12:16 PM

Good to know workin, I really like the looks of the X5 and the Mercedes AM55 really is growing on me. I probably wont do any serious lookin until this fiasco is squared away. Time is money and memories!

Ric
08-27-2005, 02:53 PM
I am seriously considering this move. We rented an RV this summer and enjoyed it so much together that it may very well be our next purchase(even though it's going to be hard to find a RED rv :huh: )
In response to the original post ... instead of a truck that can tow a camper to go with the SUV to tow the boat ... get a nice RV to tow the boat, you and your wife can travel together;)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-28-2005, 09:19 PM
I found a bad arse Porsche Cayyenne S here with 12k miles on it, they want $49k for it, about 10k higher than I am willing to go. Man if it was a little less I know what I'd be driving!!
When we went shopping for the Yukon, I actually took a Cayenne out for a ride. It was fun, but very stiff. Like a road car. Not like I expected. It was fast. Wasn't nec. looking for us, but it was a good opportunity to take a $100,000 truck out for a quick blast. I can not think of a manufacturer that DOESN'T have a dealer down the block from me. There is everything BUT ferrari and Lambo. So shopping is easy and fun. I am definetly going to get to the HUMMER dealer at take out an H1. I would love to have one of those, they have an orange one that I have my eyes on.

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 01:40 AM
:eek: An H1, that should really help with the MPG :D

No wonder you are interested in the Bio fuels.... :purplaugh

T Scott
08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Good to know workin, I really like the looks of the X5 and the Mercedes AM55 really is growing on me. I probably wont do any serious lookin until this fiasco is squared away. Time is money and memories!

I have driven and sold both of these SUV's through my dealership. The BMW X5 4.4 is a really nice truck. It is built on a 5 series frame so the ride is similar to that of a 5 series Beamer. It is obviously a little more "trucky" in the suspension, but overall a very nice ride. the 4.4 liter engine gives this truck plenty of power and acceleration. If you can deal with the size, it is not a bad little truck. I found that with two kids and a stroller, it got full pretty quick.

As far as the Mercedes ML55 AMG. Hang on, it is one fast little truck. I raced a guy with a Ford Lightning up to about 60mph, and he wasn't even close! Definitely faster than the BMW. Again, the only drawback is that it is a little SUV. If you can deal with the space, it is not a bad choice.

Fit and finish is about the same, speed goes to the Benz, Cargo space is a tie, resale is comparable. :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-29-2005, 01:00 PM
:eek: An H1, that should really help with the MPG :D

No wonder you are interested in the Bio fuels.... :purplaugh

I am still shopping for the work commuter beater. And I am in no shape for a purchase at this point. Especially for a $120,000 truck. Maybe if all goes well in my life over the next few years. I can have hopes and dreams right? And no I wouln't Bio it either.
Then again a $30,000 military version would be right up my alley too.