PDA

View Full Version : Removing Graphics on X-Star

swb911
10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
In the process of end of season detailing on my 06 X-Star I decided to remove the rear "Mastercraft, X-Games" decals and replace with either new ones or leave them off (they were getting a little ratty and had some wax build up around them that was bugging me). I also planned on removing the side X Star Tattoo graphic which I never really liked.
Upon removal of the transom decal, I notice what looks to be a lifting of the gel coat creating a ghost graphic on the rear. I have plans of buffing out with a mild gel coat friendly compound but am open to comments from others who have done this in the past.
I am now especially concerned with the side graphic as I plan on going with a more modest Maristar look with a large MC logo or the retro stars graphic.

So to sum up, will a polishing remove the ghost graphics created by the old decals?

TIA,

Michael

Luv2Ski
10-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Can you feel it with your hand/finger? If there is not change in "elevation", then buffing/polishing will take care of it. If the boat has oxidized enough that you can feel it, probably going to be stuck doing some sanding.

swb911
10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks. It does seem to have an elevation change. This is why I am thinking about keeping them off all-together as it is very difficult to wax/polish the area between the decals. There does not seem to be that much oxidation on the rear and the sides look to have none. This is what is perplexing on the gel coat. Guess I will try to buf with a direct drive and see what happens.

BrianM
10-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Unless it is really bad, a good compounding and polish should completely eliminate the ghosting.

BoulderX45
10-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Unless it is really bad, a good compounding and polish should completely eliminate the ghosting.

Can you recommend a compound? Is there grades? I've got a buddy who is asking for help and I got the elbow to help but not the knowledge.

swb911
10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, I completed the job this weekend and am quite happy with the results. I ended up just replacing the decals on the transom as it would have bee too much sanding/buffing to get it flat. I am not happy the way the gel coat lifted...

The side decals came off real nice with a heat gun set at 450 and a little work. I used 3m adhesive remover to remove the residual after the majority of the decal was off. Then lots of random orbital work with a light marine polish, swirl remover then wax. There was a small amount of ghosting which was removed with the afore mentioned process.

I would have posted photos, but, well I forgot and now its all under wraps for the season.

Thank you all for the input.