PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on vinyl cleaner/protect

KYX
10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
It's that dreaded time of year in the southeast when we begin thinking winterization. We have an '08 xstar and the vinyl still looks great, but I want to keep it that way.

What products do you prefer to not only clean but protect your vinyl? My question is not only geared towards the winter months, but also during the summer when countless people are climbing all over the boat.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Luv2Ski
10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
I asked Jim, the owner of Viper Customs, this question as I figured he would have a lot of experience. His advice.... nothing... He says that a little 303 is good for cleaning, but that protectants don't really help prolong vinyl durability. Your best bet is to minimize exposure to the sun.

That said, I have had good luck with the meguiars line for keeping car interiors looking good. I like that they don't get crazy and turn everything into a shiny oily mess. I know 303 is a popular choice, I have just never used it.

I can tell you not to use Armor All or similar products (not sure how you know if they are "similar"). The oils they contain will suck the natural oils out of the vinyl and decrease its life unless you are religious about keeping a coating of the Armor All on the vinyl.

Curious what others will chime in and say.

Adam Wanichek
10-14-2010, 05:06 PM
The ONLY stuff to use
http://www.topoftheline.com/16oz303vinpr.html

evrything else does more harm than good

CLTMC
10-14-2010, 05:20 PM
It's that dreaded time of year in the southeast when we begin thinking winterization. We have an '08 xstar and the vinyl still looks great, but I want to keep it that way.

What products do you prefer to not only clean but protect your vinyl? My question is not only geared towards the winter months, but also during the summer when countless people are climbing all over the boat.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Chris Owen at the MC factory swears by “Babes Boat Care Products”. Check out the Seat Soap.

http://www.babesboats.com/

I have not tried it yet but I will order a few bottles and report back.

bturner2
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I've used 303 for the last three boats. Never had a problem with any of the interiors.

BGcraft
10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31004

303 and the like are "protectants"
G&T Vinyl cleaner, EpHX, Zep, and the like are "cleaners"

Two distinct sets of products and steps: 1) Clean & 2) Protect

Like others- probably owned every boat liquid in the known universe. Babe's is in my current arsenal to do battle with. And it really does smell great.

And lastly, not sure that it really matters what you use- as long as you use quality/"non damage to stitching" products to 1) clean and 2) protect with on a frequent/regular basis.

Good luck.

BG

flipper
10-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I use either babe's seat soap, or zep to clean, then 303 to protect

Thrall
10-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Malco leather and vinyl cleaner works great. White seats in my boat get dirty quickly and the rear sun pad gets stained brown if I leave the cover on it out in the sunlight for even a day.
The Malco cleaner works great and it may even be endorsed by TMC No1!

bobx1
10-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I just put a 50/50 mixture of outdoor Chlorox and water in a garden sprayer and get after it. The rash on your butt (and guests) goes away by Thursday - just in time for another outting on the lake.

BTW - how long does the warranty last on carpet and vinyl????

bailey78
10-14-2010, 06:30 PM
For wintertime storage, clean with warm soapy water, let dry. And then I coat the entire inside with vasoline, bye the time I open it back up it has all soaked up into stiching and interior. no cracks or ripped seams, in my 97. I read this tip years ago (early 90's) in waterski magazine and I have stuck with it through 2 MC'S.

supturb89
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I can say that Babes Seat Soap is a great product. Made my 14yo seats come back to life, but I still ended up having them re-upholstered. I've used 303 in all my autos for the last few years and it is great as well.

wheeler
10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Babes seat soap. I bought the entire 'bucket of babes". Awesome product. I have used the 303 and mcquires for years.

The seat soap is what i am most impressed with, it works great!

If i am not mistaken, they are also on the approved products list from MC

TallRedRider
10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
For wintertime storage, clean with warm soapy water, let dry. And then I coat the entire inside with vasoline, bye the time I open it back up it has all soaked up into stiching and interior. no cracks or ripped seams, in my 97. I read this tip years ago (early 90's) in waterski magazine and I have stuck with it through 2 MC'S.

Wow. That is one I have never heard, and I have tried everything also. But vaselining my seats just feels a little kinky to me. Wouldn't dust just get all over the vaseline?

Right now, I have ended up with Malco leather and plastic cleaner for the cleaner and 303 protectant for protection. I have used babe's seat saver for a few years and love it too. I waffle back and forth between the two protectants.

I think the 303 leaves the vinyl feeling just a little more pure, with less residue. It can get slick though, especially where the overspray gets on your fiberglass.

I dilute the 303 with distilled water and it lasts longer and I don't see any difference in performance.

bailey78
10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
By the time you pull it out of storage, the seats have absorbed everybit of it. clean again with soapy water, and treat as you like. No sticky feeling at all. Works for me, enjoy your MC.

bmw91m5
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
303 Protectant all the way

Also use their fabic care on cover and bimini

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Seat Soap & 303 for me has worked great. I use seat soap on all kinds of stuff as a general cleaner....does a nice job on the tower too.

nmcjr
10-18-2010, 05:17 PM
G&T Vinyl (who makes the vinyl) has a product called Z-Care (used to be Ephx). used with a brush is an amazing cleaner, and is safe.

yeahmooney
10-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I've used both Babes Seat Soap and 303 on my 2004 Prostar the Vinyl looks new. If you hit the seats with 303 every week or two it will save you from having to do a bunch of cleaning in the fall. Babes seat conditioner is good stuff as well but 303 seems to last a little longer.

swatguy
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I used Babe's products for a long time. Love their Seat Saver and Boat Bright. I prefer their "Seat Saver" protectant to the 303 as it doesn't give the seats that slimey feeling when it gets wet like the 303 does.

As far as cleaner. I know theMalco stuff gets great reviews but for me it is a harsh product for daily uses. Anything that requires gloves just doesn't do it for me. You have to be careful with overspray as well with the Malco. I have used Exquisite as have many others. It is a great cleaner/conditioner every outing spray that works great. Leaves the seats soft and clean. It's only available on their Ebay store under Ace distribution.

Recently though there has been tons of talk on other boards about a cleaner found at dollar stores. It is called Totally Awesome Cleaner. Lots of detail shops out west have been usuing it for years. It's super cheap. I bought some this summer and have been impressed for sure. I may ditch my exquisite

1985 Skiier
10-20-2010, 12:49 AM
I have the original vinyle in my 85 (coordiroy type baige) It had some stains that all of the above mentioned cleaners would not touch.The magic eraser removed all of them, fast. It brought the brown stitches back to white. Be carefull once you start you will have a clean spot. The sponges dont last buy a few boxes and get after it.

kev88
10-20-2010, 07:31 AM
I am using exquisite as well.....pretty good stuff.