PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Stars and Strips - Not starting right away after ski run?

tvaltierra
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey all,

Hopefully you can answer my question. The boat i am looking at runs great, starts fine, but once we go for a couple of ski runs and then turn off the engine it has a hard time starting back up again. Have to wait 10-15 min or so for it to start up again. The owner is not sure what the issue could really be, he said it just started doing this. besides that the engine is very clean, any ideas on how i can resolve this issue??

Thanks in advance!

keith3613
10-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I had a similar problem after a carburetor rebuild. It was discovered that MasterCraft had set the carburetor very rich from the factory. After the carburetor idle air mixture screws (2) were adjusted about 2 turns past normal, the engine started fine. A mechanic told me those old engines like fuel and it doesn't hurt anything. The only drawback to this is maybe some exhaust stains on the transom. Also, the starters on those boats get slower over time. And, engine heat can make them turn even slower.

kawagaskier
10-14-2010, 01:57 PM
When you say the engine has a hard time starting; are you saying that it has a hard time turning over, or turns over but doesn't fire?

My '85 would not want to turn over after it was warm and a new starter eliminated the problem. If it turns over but doesn't want to fire, you may want to upgrade to pointless ingnition (if you haven't already done so) or adjust/clean/replace the carb.