PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters

ctjahn
10-14-2010, 07:40 AM
A forum is only useful if people both give and take....

Here is some info on Oil Filters. Some of my racing buddies have bought and compared ALL the available oil filters (I wish I had that much free time) for various aspects. The winner for best filter is a WIX or Napa GOLD....Best filtration, and flow for RACE motors... Apparently WIX and NAPA GOLD are the same but I can not validate that statement... FRAM finished LAST (I used to be a FRAM user but now use WIX or Napa Gold)

Remember to make sure the old o-ring comes off and lubricate the new one before install to make future removal easier... Good luck with your oil changes for winter. Your experience may vary but this is just info I have obtained from the racing community.

Cj

PS: their analysis for oil showed Pensoil as the worst possible oil but that was a couple years ago. I now use Joe Gibbs.

1redTA
10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Good info. Bobistheoilguy is a good website dedicated to oil and it's uses.

east tx skier
10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm a fan of the Motorcraft FL1A filter. How'd that one do?

JMann
10-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I like the Mobil 1 how did that one do?

Table Rocker
10-14-2010, 03:49 PM
This is a good resource for oil filter info:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

My conclusion after reading it is, buy a WIX filter and you know you will always have a good filter. The same can be said for NAPA (made exclusively by WIX).

This page has the opinions:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

ctjahn
10-14-2010, 07:58 PM
I like the Mobil 1 how did that one do?

I heard recently (within the last few years) they reformulated it and thats when I stopped using it...(Due to enviormental issues and various ohter concerns with contained substances). Racing oil doesnt have to comply with street car oil regulations and allows for better protection. And thus, why I am using Joe Gibbs. (prior I used Redline)

cj

ctjahn
10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm a fan of the Motorcraft FL1A filter. How'd that one do?

As a past user of Motorcraft, I thought they were ok. But I figured why not go for the gold...Napa Gold... (sorry I have a sick sense of humor)

cj

JimN
10-14-2010, 09:33 PM
A forum is only useful if people both give and take....

Here is some info on Oil Filters. Some of my racing buddies have bought and compared ALL the available oil filters (I wish I had that much free time) for various aspects. The winner for best filter is a WIX or Napa GOLD....Best filtration, and flow for RACE motors... Apparently WIX and NAPA GOLD are the same but I can not validate that statement... FRAM finished LAST (I used to be a FRAM user but now use WIX or Napa Gold)

Remember to make sure the old o-ring comes off and lubricate the new one before install to make future removal easier... Good luck with your oil changes for winter. Your experience may vary but this is just info I have obtained from the racing community.

Cj

PS: their analysis for oil showed Pensoil as the worst possible oil but that was a couple years ago. I now use Joe Gibbs.

This looks like a direct quote from a web page about oil filters by a guy at MSOE. It was posted here in about '04.

ctjahn
10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Interesting... Went to MSOE (two degrees)...but wasn't a member and didn't even visit the site till recently... (this late summer when I was finally hoping to buy my dream boat... and did.)

No plagiarism was completed or intended and any resemblance is and very, purely, coincidental... I dont take credit for any of the work and was just passing it on to those who may be interested...

I cant help but feel that you are implying something... and I dont appreciate it when I am trying to be helpful.

JimN
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Interesting... Went to MSOE (two degrees)...but wasn't a member and didn't even visit the site till recently... (this late summer when I was finally hoping to buy my dream boat... and did.)

No plagiarism was completed or intended and any resemblance is and very, purely, coincidental... I dont take credit for any of the work and was just passing it on to those who may be interested...

I cant help but feel that you are implying something... and I dont appreciate it when I am trying to be helpful.

I didn't mean it was plagiarism- you did say that you saw it somewhere else and weren't trying to pass it off as your own, after all.

The reason I noticed it came from someone at MSOE is that I went there in the mid-late '70s. What degrees?

I hope you were there after I was, so you could enjoy the newer and better resources- the old leadership (Karl Werwath) didn't understand how important fund-raising is and the facilities were lacking in most areas, other than the science building's fluid power and mechanical engineering areas. Still, I learned a lot and that's the important thing.

ctjahn
10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
I didn't mean it was plagiarism- you did say that you saw it somewhere else and weren't trying to pass it off as your own, after all.

The reason I noticed it came from someone at MSOE is that I went there in the mid-late '70s. What degrees?

I hope you were there after I was, so you could enjoy the newer and better resources- the old leadership (Karl Werwath) didn't understand how important fund-raising is and the facilities were lacking in most areas, other than the science building's fluid power and mechanical engineering areas. Still, I learned a lot and that's the important thing.

It is very possible it could be (or was) a friend of mine...Many of my friends were/are into the same hobbies as I am (racing and watersports). Although, I was given the impression that testing was completed again more recently... My oil information (personal experience) comes from a guy who builds racing motors for a career and is quite successful at it (Road Racing). Post race season oil, motor, bearing and filter analysis on my racing motors are consistent with his findings on oil

My degrees are in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science with all the fancy certifications and such including participation in Infragard (FBI and industry working together) and WACCI - Wisconsin Association of Computer Crimes Investigators (which is why I took your comment so seriously). (AND purely non-mechanical degrees) however, I have been building motors, racecars, restoring racecars, and preparing them for over 15 years with continual development and analysis of racing components. (I should have majored in Mechanical) Went in the 90s and enjoyed some modernization however it was nothing compared to the recent mass expansion and modernization that occured within the last 10 years. (AMAZING)

Back to your regularly scheduled topic!

Oil Filters....One more thing we found in the past when researching an issue in the garage while preparing for a race...(didnt read the article/link yet) but we believe some filters have a bypass (You can tell by the spring under the threads). We avoid these on the racecars because the filter is bypassed under high oil pressure (During start up for example when I feel it may be important to have good filterization)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I switched to WIX awhile ago. Here is a quote I received from WIX in reference to the anti-drainback valve.
The Anti-drainback valve is a rubber valve that covers the small holes or inlet holes of the filter. You can see the valve covering the holes.
You could go to their website and see which of their filters have this feature.
http://www.wixfilters.com/

Table Rocker
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I switched to WIX awhile ago. Here is a quote I received from WIX in reference to the anti-drainback valve.
http://www.wixfilters.com/
Apparently (per WIX) the anti-drainback valve is only needed in horizontal or inverted mounts. If the filter is in a vertical position with the opening at the top, the oil stays in the filter via gravity.

The Anti-Drainback Valve prevents oil from draining out of the filter inlet holes when the engine is shut off. It also provides seal between clean and dirty oil at the upper end cap. This is necessary in applications where the oil filter is mounted in a horizontal or inverted position.

http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/gff_oilfilters.html (http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/gff_oilfilters.html)