PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Noob - Looking at a Prostar 205

Monteluna
10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi All,

I have been soaking up a ton of great information from these forums for a few weeks and finally registered so I could get some help on my first boat purchase.

I have been looking at a 1994 Prostar 205 that is FSBO near me. We took it for a spin on Sunday, and it is in some ways a time capsule. It has had only one owner. The only thing that needs attention cosmetically is a bit of oxidizing. The boat only has 281 hours on it. The interior is near perfect. It has always been stored inside. It fired right up and ran flawlessly. My concerns surfaced when the owner admitted that the only servicing that he has done in 16 years is to do an oil change every 50 hours or so, replace the impeller a couple of times....and....thats it.

I've read the owners manual, and man, I can't believe that the boat ran so well and the engine looked so good with such negligent attention to what should have been done throughout the years. This has the original plugs, the original fuel filters, never had any cables lubed...etc.

My question is; should I eliminate this boat from consideration? Should I hire a mechanic to check it out to see if the negligence is a ticking time bomb for the next owner?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg

Cloaked
10-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi All,

I have been soaking up a ton of great information from these forums for a few weeks and finally registered so I could get some help on my first boat purchase.

I have been looking at a 1994 Prostar 205 that is FSBO near me. We took it for a spin on Sunday, and it is in some ways a time capsule. It has had only one owner. The only thing that needs attention cosmetically is a bit of oxidizing. The boat only has 281 hours on it. The interior is near perfect. It has always been stored inside. It fired right up and ran flawlessly. My concerns surfaced when the owner admitted that the only servicing that he has done in 16 years is to do an oil change every 50 hours or so, replace the impeller a couple of times....and....thats it.

I've read the owners manual, and man, I can't believe that the boat ran so well and the engine looked so good with such negligent attention to what should have been done throughout the years. This has the original plugs, the original fuel filters, never had any cables lubed...etc.

My question is; should I eliminate this boat from consideration? Should I hire a mechanic to check it out to see if the negligence is a ticking time bomb for the next owner?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GregWhat else would one have done in the course of 281 hours of use (just as a practical question)? He did maintenance as well as most and probably better than a lot others would have done, with that limited use. If it runs solid and is acceptable to obvious good conditions as you describe, I'd not hesitate one bit to snag this boat if the price is right. The oxidation will buff out. The rest is like a new boat. Write a check to the man, give it one more oil change and a service upgrade, and consider yourself with a relatively new boat. Do not ruin the Prostar with a tower... $0.02

Done deal.

flipper
10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
The oil is the main thing. I wouldn't walk away from that at all. 281 hours isn't much

Miss Rita
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Maybe some maintenance items have been neglected, but the boat hasn't been abused.

Buy it. It's going to need a little TLC, but it's worth it. The PS205 is a GREAT boat.

dmminfla
10-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Post some pic please. My only question would be would it be normal for a boat with 281 hours that is allways kept inside to have alot of oxidation on the gel? My friend has a 93 with about 350 hrs. He had it buffed out but it sat on a lift for 17 years and is on his third interior. As far as the boat it seems that the skiers prefer the first generation 92-95 ps205 and the wakeboarders prefer the second generation 96+ hull. What's the asking price?

OHIOPRO205
10-13-2010, 06:52 PM
The boat is a good one. I have the same boat with 560 hours and love it. You won't be sorry. Sounds like a good cleaning and some going over and your ready for lots of "fun".

Archimedes
10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
I'd ask what, if any, winterizing was done each season. Even if it was stored indoors, did he stabilize the gas, drain the motor, etc. 16 winters of improper layup would be my only concern. I wouldn't worry about the other stuff, though I'd probably do a bunch of preventive maintenance if I bought the boat.

JDK
10-13-2010, 07:29 PM
The boat only has 281 hours on it.
My question is; should I eliminate this boat from consideration?

I think you should definitly eliminate it..... and shoot me a pm with the owners phone # so I can buy it.:D

Seriously... if it's running great right now.... and the oil has been changed and the block drained for wither storage, you should be setting yourself up for a great deal. For an additional $250 in tune-up parts you can bring the boat into like new condition. 281 hrs is nothing.

Monteluna
10-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all of the responses! I'll try to answer some questions here:

I really have no reason to believe there is any potential problems here. I just wonder if any of the scheduled maintenance left undone for so long could jeopardize the mechanical integrity of the boat. I do believe he had the boat docked and on a lift in the summer for some of the time which could explain the oxidizing. He said it had been a few years since he waxed it. The interior is too good to have been ever left uncovered.

I am not sure what his winterizing routine was. I haven't asked that question.

I do not plan on putting a tower on it. I have a couple college aged kids who have not done much skiing to date. My brother-in-law and neph. are very accomplished wakeboarders and they have a 96 PS205. We have a slalom course right out our back door here at the lake we live on. I am concerned about a good slalom wake first and foremost since that is where most of the use will go...at least initially.

Thank you again for the quick responses. I feel much more confident about perusing the boat. I will keep you informed of what happens.

Greg

ps. here is a pic of the boat.

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Other/Prostar-205/DSCF0672/1046881121_gvGpD-M.jpg

Cloaked
10-13-2010, 09:39 PM

I really have no reason to believe there is any potential problems here. I just wonder if any of the scheduled maintenance left undone for so long could jeopardize the mechanical integrity of the boat. I do believe he had the boat docked and on a lift in the summer for some of the time which could explain the oxidizing. He said it had been a few years since he waxed it. The interior is too good to have been ever left uncovered.

I do not plan on putting a tower on it. I have a couple college aged kids who have not done much skiing to date. My brother-in-law and neph. are very accomplished wakeboarders and they have a 96 PS205. We have a slalom course right out our back door here at the lake we live on. I am concerned about a good slalom wake first and foremost since that is where most of the use will go...at least initially.

Thank you again for the quick responses. I feel much more confident about perusing the boat. I will keep you informed of what happens.

Greg

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Other/Prostar-205/DSCF0672/1046881121_gvGpD-M.jpg Good looking boat. It will provide you with a good slalom wake. It has a slightly wider table (than the 190) but still an excellent low wake crest for good skiing. Yes Sir, I'd say if you are in the market, that looks like a nice boat.

TX.X-30 fan
10-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Hell that boat is close to Sodarski73 quality.

coz
10-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Hell that boat is close to Sodarski73 quality.

If it were white...all white :rolleyes: :D

Nice boat Monte, I'd really consider that one if all checks out.

jomiddour
10-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I have the same boat in a 93' model. I bought it with 400hrs from the original owner last year and it was almost an identical situation, He was religous about oil changes and nothing else. I changed plugs, impellar, oil and trans fluid (which looked like it had never been changed. The boat now has 490 hrs, looks brand new and I haven't had a single hick-up out of it. The only mainenance issue I foresee is replacing the sticky float in my gas tank. If it looks good, runs good, and can be had for less than $14k JUMP ON IT! It is harder and harder to find this model in good shape unmolested. Change the impellar, plugs, wires and fluids and go have fun. Nothing on it should go wrong that is expensive with that low of hours.

Double D
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Greg

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Other/Prostar-205/DSCF0672/1046881121_gvGpD-M.jpg

Nice boat! I have owned mine since 2001 and bought it with 590 hours. It now has 1025 and still runs great with just the standard maintenance and winterizing. These boats look good with or without a tower so do what you want. I do see that it is missing the rear side stickers that describe it as a "ProStar 205 - Electronic Fuel Injection" so check with Jim@BAWS to get some new ones.

BTW, what is the guy asking, if you don't mind telling....?

BROUSSARD
10-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Nice boat! I have owned mine since 2001 and bought it with 590 hours. It now has 1025 and still runs great with just the standard maintenance and winterizing. These boats look good with or without a tower so do what you want. I do see that it is missing the rear side stickers that describe it as a "ProStar 205 - Electronic Fuel Injection" so check with Jim@BAWS to get some new ones.

Sweet ride Double D
Cant agree on you're tower position!

:steering::worthy::dance:

Monteluna
10-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Well,we have yet to settle on a final price, but his best offer is $12,500. I think we are close to getting a deal done.

Concerning the rear decals, he pulled them off a few years ago because one was scuffed. He just had not replaced them yet. I will buff the thing out before I replace them. Thanks for the leads though! What do you think? Is the price right?

Thanks,

Greg

Miss Rita
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Offer him $12k in hundred dollar bills. Before I do. LOL!

Barefooter92
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
SOLD!

I had 180hrs on mine and only oil changes, original impeller and plugs and its 13 yrs old.

ttu
10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
better hurry and pay for it. someone on here will snap that thing up for that price.

make sure you post a lot of pics when you pick it up.

Double D
10-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Well,we have yet to settle on a final price, but his best offer is $12,500. I think we are close to getting a deal done.

Concerning the rear decals, he pulled them off a few years ago because one was scuffed. He just had not replaced them yet. I will buff the thing out before I replace them. Thanks for the leads though! What do you think? Is the price right?

Thanks,

Greg

Like everyone said, buy it quickly!!!

Monteluna
10-16-2010, 10:14 AM
All right! Time for everyone to quit threatening to snipe the boat from me. I committed to buy this morning. I should have it in my possession within the next week. Thank you for the unanimous advice to buy the boat. It really helped me finalize my decision. Now, be prepared for lots of questions!

Greg

Double D
10-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Well congrats and welcome. About time!! :D:D

daverbeck
10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I bought a 1994 ProSport 205 with 329 hrs on it a few years back (same boat - just has a bucket seat for the passenger).

It too had minimal maintenance - still had factory plugs when I replaced them 2 years ago!

Runs great. No issues with the boat whatsoever.

The only things that I have had to address are cosmetics, fuel sender, new blower and bilge pump plus options I added like a heater, stereo, etc.

Monteluna
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, I finally picked up my 1994 Prostar 205 on Sunday. Now it just sucks that the season is over and I will be getting her ready to store for the winter. Here is a picture and a link to many more. As you will see there is some work to be done to get her polished back up to what she deserves. Thank you all for your help in my decision to buy this boat.

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Other/Prostar-205/14180948_EUWGN

Greg

http://shoe.smugmug.com/Other/Prostar-205/IMG0803/1063381365_eaKkF-L.jpg

turn1andburn1
10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Congrats man. To bad the seasons over. Snow on the ground here:(

russlars
10-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks good.:) Hopefully you got a chance to water test it before your purchase. If so, winterize it well and do your projects over the winter months and you'll be good to go next spring.

ttu
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
great looking mc! enjoy:toast:

daverbeck
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Great lookin boat - enjoy!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Nice looking boat. And look on the bright side, winter with a mastercraft is much better then without.

The8Ball
10-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Nice boat! I found some replacement decals for you on ebay: Do a search for 'MasterCraft Prostar 205 Decals' ... you will see some for sale by seller 'redlinevinylgraphics'. Disclaimer: I don't know this guy. But he's selling decals that will match what was taken off your boat, it appears. $12.95.

I bought a 1998 PS 205 back in August. Same type of situation: the boat was pristine. Just too good of a deal to pass up.

You're going to find 'little stuff' that will need attention. Places like this forum, ebay, skidim.com, a good fiberglass shop (e.g. - a shop here in the Houston area does all kinds of work, including painting, repair, etc - they can make that boat look new on the outside), etc. are all great resources. It's been my experience that MC dealers in Houston tend to turn a cold shoulder to you if your boat is older than 5 years old. They sure do want to sell you a new/newer used one though...

ENJOY!

Monteluna
10-26-2010, 03:14 AM
Nice boat! I found some replacement decals for you on ebay: Do a search for 'MasterCraft Prostar 205 Decals' ... you will see some for sale by seller 'redlinevinylgraphics'. Disclaimer: I don't know this guy. But he's selling decals that will match what was taken off your boat, it appears. $12.95.

Thanks for the heads up. The original owner did have the factory made MasterCraft Prostar 205 decals and gave them to me. I am still in need of the "Electronic Fuel Injection" part though. I wonder if those can be found?

Greg