PDA

View Full Version : 2009 X35 Gel coat problem

csnyder2
10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I am looking for an opinion on the discoloring I am getting on our 2009 X35. Please see the attached photo. This boat has the LY6 6.0L engine and the dealer added the wake plate. Prior to delivery during the lake test the delaer found the boat had a "problem" engine that had an exhaust casting flaw and the power train was replaced prior to delivery with a 2010 engine and transmission. After a week of use the white gel coat discolored similar to this photo. The dealer's service guys thought that the problem was because the original engine got hot becasue it was defective during the first lake test and damaged the gel coat. This description sounded like a resonable answer. I took the boat back and the dealer removed the baffels and "resprayed" the white Gel. After some more lake time the problem has come back.

Are other people having this problem with their late model MC's?

Have you been able to figure out how to fix it permanetly?

The dealer and I are working together to resolve this issue. We discussed a couple possible options and I want to see if others have tried anything like this or have a suggestion.

Replace the flaps with exhaust tubes with the baffle style pipe, like the 2007 style MC's, to get the exhaust away from the boat.

Spray the cut in area with the same color gel as the hull, red to hide the problem.

I am told we are getting very little input from MC other than they say this is a "typical" problem.

I have had the boat since July of 2010 and I do not like this answer and did not expect this flaw on my third MC after previous experience with my other two MC's.

JohnE
10-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't think this problem is typical...then again my last 3 boats have been black gel. Interested in hearing what others say.

scott023
10-13-2010, 10:17 AM
If that is a "typical" problem, it sure as heck shouldn't be.

Thrall
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Well, it's certainly not typical and if it was resprayed once, that means the gel actually turned colors and couldn't be washed/buffed/sanded out?
Now fresh gel is discoloring again.
Have you tried removing the stains? Toilet bowl cleaner, rubbing compound, etc?
Do you know for sure it was re-sprayed?
This doesn't make sense.
My white '96 would get some good exhaust funk going on around the outlets that wouldn't come off with normal washing, but that was gray discoloration, not rust color.

Sodar
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Have you tried anything like FSR or muratic acid to see if the staining goes away or are you 100% sure it is burned gelcoat? I am wondering if it is an issue of minerals in the water.

It actually looks like the rust streaks you get on saltwater boats.

MattsCraft
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I have a white hull 09' X2, same flaps, MCX motor, sorry, engine, don't want to get slammed by the motor police, :D finishing her 3rd season about 300 hours, no stains like seen in your picture. I trailer, so it is not left in or around the water except when on vacation.

Not sure I helped your situation, other than I have not noticed this on mine or others I have seen, would not think this is common for fresh water.

shaverm
10-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi I was looking at your pictures, I believe something is wrong and they should do what is needed to resolve. I got a 2009 x-45 in March, have 92 hours and no issues at all. My rear transom area is white like yours as well.

csnyder2
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry I did not list I have only had the boat in lake cumberland. The water is realtively clean. I have tried cleaning with 3 products and seen zero effect. Detailer that ships after purchasing the boat, 3M boat wax and 3M cleaner/wax.

csnyder2
10-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I did find white gel coat residue on the trailer after the boat returned from the trip to the dealer. I was able to remove it from the paint with a little work. The caulk around the exhaust outlets was different then prior to taking it to the dealer. I have no reason to question the dealer saying it was sprayed.

TX.X-30 fan
10-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I would like to know what the lake behind the factory is used for?? Bass fishing would be my guess.........

TallRedRider
10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
What does your exhaust look like when it is not in the water?

Makes me wonder if you have something weird in your tank, or gas that causes an unusual exhaust to stain the gelcoat. Just thinking out loud here.

csnyder2
10-15-2010, 12:07 AM
i have not noticed anything particular coming out of the exhaust. I have surfed behind and noticed nothing different then my 2007 with MCX, it had Cat's as well. The dealer's mechanic noticed a black residue on the crome MC. He did not think it was an issue. I hear what you are saying about residue but since I tried cleaner/wax that is made to scoure the surface a bit the stain is more than on the surface of the Gel coat. When I tried this product and had no effect I was of course very upset with what is happing to my new MC.

jeffbare
10-15-2010, 12:16 AM
This is the best cleaner by far, I used to use a bleach toilet bowl cleaner, and it didn't even change the color of the stains on my BF200, I tried the Y10 and it was like a magical potion. This stuff is the best by far, you will not go wrong.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2486&familyName=Y-10+Fiberglass+Stain+Remover

Sodar
10-15-2010, 10:03 AM
i have not noticed anything particular coming out of the exhaust. I have surfed behind and noticed nothing different then my 2007 with MCX, it had Cat's as well. The dealer's mechanic noticed a black residue on the crome MC. He did not think it was an issue. I hear what you are saying about residue but since I tried cleaner/wax that is made to scoure the surface a bit the stain is more than on the surface of the Gel coat. When I tried this product and had no effect I was of course very upset with what is happing to my new MC.

Which is why you should try some FSR or acidic hull cleaner. I'll bet it comes off.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_61264_225004002_225000000_225004000?channe l=froogle&mr:trackingCode=E61769AF-03A7-DF11-904F-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

bobx1
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Just curious....Are these stains in the exact same spot as the previous stains (prior to the re-spray)? Just wondering if this is possibly a bleed-thru of the previous stain even though I would think the re-spray would seal the previous stains.

csnyder2
10-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Yes, same spot