PDA

View Full Version : Help with volt meter and amp meter wiring

80mastercraft
07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey all I have a 1980 stars and strips that I'm not sure if the wiring is hooked up right on the volt and amp meters. I'm wonder how to make sure the alternator is charging the batter and still run my volt and amp gauges? I would like to see a diagram of the dash panel if any one had one or knows were to get one. Any help would be great.

JimN
07-09-2005, 07:06 PM
It's odd to have both gauges, maybe the voltmeter was added by a previous owner. The ammeter is usually connected to the orange wire coming from the ignition switch ON lead. This gauge needs to be in series with the 12V + lead and will burn out if it's wired across from a voltage source to ground. The voltmeter + post is usually connected to the purple wire coming out from the safety switch and the - post connected to the dash ground. Most have an illumination lead and that gets a blue wire from the dash lighting circuit. The purple wire goes from the ignition switch to the safety switch, then returns to the gauges and ignition circuit.

Cloaked
07-09-2005, 08:28 PM
In addition for reference V V V

Never mind. I have an entire wiring diagram but the limits on file size won't allow me to post a legible JPG. TIF and BMP size is above the limits... :mad:

ski_king
07-09-2005, 08:34 PM
I have found this generic wiring diagram (http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/colorcode.html) to be helpful on my 82, your 80 should be close also.

I agree, it is rare to have both volt and amp meters. This diagram shows both.

80mastercraft
07-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Boy I didn't know I would get such great help so fast. Thanks so much all. So which one should I get rid of??? I just changed to a new style alternator with the internal reg so should I stick with the amp or volt?

Thanks again!!!+

ski_king
07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I stumbled on to an old photo I took of my dash wiring before I tore it apart a few years ago.
I thought it may be of some help to somebody with the older boats.

Gauges looking from rear:
Top Left: Oil Pressure
Top Right:Temperature
Bottom Left: Fuel
Bottom Right: Amp