PDA

View Full Version : Winter Layup Ritual - How much time do you spend?

bobx1
10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
My wife questioned all the time I spent this weekend getting the boat ready for storage so wanted to see how long you guys typically spend getting the boat ready for storage. My typical routine is:

1 - drain block, un-hook hoses, fog, etc.

2 - hand wash the exterior, hit with water/vinegar, hand wax.

3 - remove seats and clean

4 - vaccum interior

6 - windex glass and clean tower

7 - remove battery

8 - remove/clean/oil teak platform

9 - wash trailer

10 -wd-40 winch, jack, etc. on trailer

All in all, it took be about 7 hours over 2 days.

Skipper
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Takes me about nine months if I can convince somebody to drive the boat in the cold.

loeweb
10-11-2010, 11:21 AM
When I decide to put it up for good it takes about 5 hours. I try to do it in a 2 step process. Drop the water when I'm still hopefully going back out. Clean it all up when I'm not ging out til spring.

yippikaiyay
10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I have to admit I kind of rush things in the fall, cleaning wise. But the spring - when I roll it out in late April, that's when I do a major clean and wax, and yeah, I'd probably be 5 hours.

So for the fall, winterization and oil change, maybe 2 hrs max., and I'm doing it tomorrow :(

broncotw
10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
A full good day for me also!

LaRue
10-11-2010, 01:02 PM
An all day event. Wife understands the need to spend a day. she is somewhat relieved i'm sure. my goal is when spring arrives, she is ready to be dropped in the water, fresh with winter projects. Other than knowing it is going to be several months before she gets back in the water, i enjoy the cleaning, waxing, general maintenance, fussing with... if i get to the point of dreading that part, i always told myself it is time to get rid of boat.

bturner2
10-11-2010, 01:02 PM
In addition to your list I change the impeller, engine oil and transmission oil as well as remove all the gear from the boat. I also take the time to fix any scratches or chips in the gel coat so the boat is ready to drop in the water in the spring. Takes about 8 - 10 hours over two days. It's a lot of effort but the boat is always ready for action as soon as the weather turns in the spring.

vision
10-11-2010, 02:42 PM
My winterization is about 20 minutes. I keep the boat clean through out the year and do the maintenance not related to freezing (impeller changes, cable lubrication, tighten all bolts, inspect all wires, etc) during the Summer. Oil changes every 50 regardless of the time of the year.

I drain the water from the block and exhaust manifolds, drain and place anti-freeze in the heater core and ballast system, stick the battery on a trickle charger, and walk away.

Our boat lives on the lift and never goes more than 6 weeks without being run, even in the winter. I just repeat the freeze prevention steps after each outing in the winter. If my boat was going to sit for 3 months, then I would change the oil at winterization.

Thrall
10-11-2010, 03:05 PM
In addition to your list I change the impeller, engine oil and transmission oil as well as remove all the gear from the boat. I also take the time to fix any scratches or chips in the gel coat so the boat is ready to drop in the water in the spring. Takes about 8 - 10 hours over two days. It's a lot of effort but the boat is always ready for action as soon as the weather turns in the spring.

Add this stuff to my list as well, except gelcoat repair is per occurance and hopefuly not needed.
Boat is typically pretty clean already, so other than vacuming some out of the way places, not much cleaning involved.
Add grease steering cable and rudder to the list.
Fuel filters I do in the spring (on the old boat).
The 190 would take a couple hrs to completely winterize/pull annual maint. The X2 takes a good half day.

ctjahn
10-11-2010, 04:17 PM
First time took 4 hours+ (saturday)
Planning on doing a bunch of maintenance stuff this winter tho.

cj

east tx skier
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Six hours or so for me.

By the way, you may not want to use windex on the windshield glass. Not good for the safety glass according to the manual. Manual says to use mild soap and damp cloth only.

Muttley
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
A little under 5 hours (or 4 beers), not including wax & interior.

That's changing fluids, draining block, fogging, yada, yada... Since I'm in a heated garage, I'll wax, shampoo the carpets, 303 the interior, and do everything else over the winter.

Footin
10-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Took me about 3 hours..change oil, drain water, a quart of antifreeze and fog.

Bouyhead
10-13-2010, 05:46 AM
My salt water PS 190 takes all day. The boat is unfortunately stored outside so being put away clean and dry is very important.

tex
10-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Wipe the boat down...have a beer....back it into the garage!