PDA

View Full Version : Pressure in Power Slot Transmission

shoeman
10-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I decided to change the trans fluid in my 92 PS 205. The trans is a powerslot velvet drive. After running the boat for about 20 minutes in the water, I pulled the trans dipstick and quite a bit of pressure was released - more than I would expect.

I sucked out the fluid and got 1.5 qts. (should be closer to 3qts). This is the second time that I changed the fluid and I'm wondering if I did not get all of the fluid out the first time and then added a full 3 qts. and over-filling it.

The fluid looked that I changed looked good in terms of color and odor. The only reason that I checked the fluid in the first place is because the transmission seemed to slip for a second when I took off at 3/4 throttle.

What would cause so much pressure to build up? Too little or too much fluid?

Skipper
10-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I am fighting a similar deamon with my Hurth 1:1 transmission. I always use a suction device to remove the fluid from the transmission then replace exactly the amount I removed. I was having a problem with fluid venting from the vent. Found that I was 1/2 qt over filled. I removed that 1/2 qt then replaced the fluid and still getting fluid venting from the vent. I was pointed toward the usual suspect, the transmission cooler, but that was not the culprit. I am not tranny smart enought, but I suspect there is an internal valve or some other mechanism that affects the pressure.

Jim@BAWS
10-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Adding TYPE pr FA is what you want to use in your Borg Warner Transmission
There is a POP OFF pressure valve on the top of the transmission that allows pressure and
over filling to be exhausted out of the transmission. You should be able to push that down as it has a spring loaded detent in it. Filling a transmission with fluid is not an exact science. Dont worry if you put to much trans fluid in . It will be exhausted out via that valve. If you are checking the trans level right after a hard run when it is warm. It may appear and feel like there is internal pressure when you pull the dipstick, It is normal

Jim@BAWS

shoeman
10-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I did see the pop off pressure valve on top of the transmission. It appears to be working as I can push it down.

I'm using Mercon III for the fluid. Can I mix and match Mercon III and Type FA (I assume that FA replaces type F)?