PDA

View Full Version : My First MC... Finally

gatorguy
10-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Well it has finally happened. After several years of waiting, and no less than 4 prior attempts earlier this summer, I bought my first MasterCraft today. It is a 1997 PS 205 with just under 500hrs on it. Itís in over all good condition, but does have a couple of nicks in the vinyl. I think it will be perfect for my family. I have 4 boys (13, 9, 6, 6) and a baby girl. It has some ďlove marksĒ from the prior family, so I donít have to have a heart attach when my kids leave their own marks. I figure I got a good enough deal that in a few years I can put a new interior in it, and hopefully everyone will be old enough to help keep it nice.

I had to drive 9hrs to pick it up. I took the 3 youngest boys and we camped last night at the lake where we met the seller this morning. I didnít think they were ever going to go to sleep last night they were so excited. Actually Iím not sure who was more excited, me or them. Iíve been waiting a long time for this. Iíve been skiing for a long time, but always on someone elseís boat.

Now the fun begins!! I need to find out about how to put a course on the lake which is a mile from the house. Nobody ever skis on it, just a few fishermen. Also I need to get some ballast and figure how to load the boat for surfing. My wife is really interested in learning to surf. Of course the boys have already let me know that wakeboarding is the cool thing to do, and that Iím the ONLY person who skis anymore. So Iíll be doing some research to find a decent board. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Of coarse Iíll post some pictures too.

JLeuck64
10-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Sweet! Now... go ski your BRAINS out! LOL

mtajpa
10-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Looks like alot of fun is coming your family's way. Nice boat!

Archimedes
10-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Congrats. Great looking boat. Love the color.

Love the part about camping with the kids the night before. Very cool. I wish my kids were half that excited when we bought ours. Always more fun when you can share the excitement with someone.

2RLAKE
10-09-2010, 08:53 AM
great story about the kids ... they will always remember that ... congrats on your new MC

supturb89
10-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Congrats on the new boat....I know the feeling.

TallRedRider
10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Congrats. Good times ahead for sure.

tex
10-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Congrats! Is that a name on the back? Gotta ditch that. The name is ProStar 205

BriEOD
10-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Congrats and welcome to the club!:cool:

Double D
10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Nice Boat!! You'll love it!!

03geetee
10-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Great looking boat!

JTR

GrandProStar
10-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Congrats! Is that a name on the back? Gotta ditch that. The name is ProStar 205

I believe it says "Red Rocket".

Congratulations on your new Mastercraft!! Its a great looking boat. I'm also planning on installing a ski course and it sounds like we might be on similar lakes (not many skiers and more fishermen). Anyway here is a link to a thread I started, there is some extremely useful information on it.

DeVrieski
10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Nice boat. You are going to love it. My kids are still young - 6, 3, 1 1/2, and another on the way, but they all love spending time on the boat. We have a 2000 PS 205 which is the same hull as yours. I love to ski and surf and this boat can do both well. It skis excellent, and surfs adequately. For surfing, I have a 300 Lb sac in the rear ski locker and then a 750 LB sac on the side of the motor box that I surf on. It throws a decent wake - especially if you have this much weight and then stick all your kids on the side of the boat your are surfing on. One thing I have learned with this boat for surfing however is that it is important to spread the weight out along the whole side of the boat that you want to surf on. If I have enough people, I put two in the back (surfing side of boat) and then one or two up front on the same side. This makes the wake longer. It is not huge, but it is enough to surf without a rope and have a good time. I surf on an Inland Surfer Blue Lake. It is a great board because it is large enough to not need a huge wake, but still quick and agile to do some fun tricks. Here is a picture taken over Labor day this year of me surfing behind my PS205.

coz
10-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Nice boat. You are going to love it. My kids are still young - 6, 3, 1 1/2, and another on the way, but they all love spending time on the boat. We have a 2000 PS 205 which is the same hull as yours. I love to ski and surf and this boat can do both well. It skis excellent, and surfs adequately. For surfing, I have a 300 Lb sac in the rear ski locker and then a 750 LB sac on the side of the motor box that I surf on. It throws a decent wake - especially if you have this much weight and then stick all your kids on the side of the boat your are surfing on. One thing I have learned with this boat for surfing however is that it is important to spread the weight out along the whole side of the boat that you want to surf on. If I have enough people, I put two in the back (surfing side of boat) and then one or two up front on the same side. This makes the wake longer. It is not huge, but it is enough to surf without a rope and have a good time. I surf on an Inland Surfer Blue Lake. It is a great board because it is large enough to not need a huge wake, but still quick and agile to do some fun tricks. Here is a picture taken over Labor day this year of me surfing behind my PS205.

Nice ride dude :headbang: but like he said, don't try too hard to create an epic surf wake behind this boat, it'll never happen. We tried and it got so boring I sold the boards and only ski and wakeboard, which is what this boat is all about.

chico
10-10-2010, 08:37 AM
The family that skiis together stays together,congrats!

Willski
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Congrats....and welcome to the club!

russlars
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Congrats. Nice boat. You are going to love it. One of the best do everything boats that MC has ever produced!:D

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Congrats on joining the family. That is a beautiful boat and you are sure to enjoy countless hours in it.

gatorguy
10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone. We've been out a couple of times now, and the kids love it. As far as the "Red Rocket" goes, I'm not a huge fan, but the kids think it's awsome, so I guess it stays for now.

east tx skier
10-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone. We've been out a couple of times now, and the kids love it. As far as the "Red Rocket" goes, I'm not a huge fan, but the kids think it's awsome, so I guess it stays for now.

My wife's first car was a '76 Monte Carlo with the same moniker. Use it with pride, I say! ;)