PDA

View Full Version : 2004 197 Speedo no working

JohnnyB
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Went footin today and found my speedometers didn't work. I have a 2004 PS 197 w/o perfect pass. The rest of the info coming from paddle wheel unit (depth/water temp/air temp) works fine however I've got no readout on either speedometer. Paddle wheel spins fine and appears undamaged. I'll do more troubleshooting tomorrow but help and/or insight is appreciate.

JohnnyB
10-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Bump....anyone...anyone....???

JohnnyB
10-16-2010, 10:58 AM
bump....

:popcorn::popcorn:

Bob B
10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a 2002 197 with speed control. I lost my Speedos in 2009. It was the MMDC.
Labor $280, parts $305. Good luck.
Bob B

JohnnyB
10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
MMDC??? Master Module DC????

Bob B
10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Part#508062 MMDC. I assume it stands for "Multiple Module Data Computer"

jmac197
10-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Make sure the wiring at the paddle wheel isn't busted. My '06 had the power lead totally corroded and no longer making contact. The "waterproof" connectors aren't as watertight as you would think.

JohnnyB
06-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Back to troubleshooting my speedometer. I checked the plug connector in the bilge. Terminals appear uncorroded and well coated with dielectric grease. What next? How can I diagnose?

I read in another thread about a self-test mode for the temp guage and will try that since its part of the paddle wheel assembly.

Short of replacing the paddle wheel and testing and then the MMDC and testing, is there a way to bench test the paddle wheel???

Is there a wiring diagram out there somewhere??

JohnnyB
06-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Got this from one of my searches....a manual exerpt on how to put the guage system in self test:

"Lake temperature is also standard on the gauge.
This comes from the paddle wheel located under the
boat. If the sensor becomes open or shorts-out to
the battery, it will read 32 F. If the sensor is shorted
to ground it will read 150 F. The temperature is also
where the SELF TEST is located. With the lake
temperature displayed, hold down the gauge selection
display button for three seconds or until the
self test has started. During the left test, all the segments
on the display will light up. Also during the
self test, the gauges will re-set, go to mid-scale and
then to full-scale. After two sweeps the system returns
to normal."

My guages go through the cycle just fine which leads me to believe its paddle wheel but would sure like someone to chime in with some knowledge....thanks in advance

Lars
06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey Johnny,

I too have an 04 197. when I was trying to troubleshoot my water temp sensor I got this schematic of the paddewheel from AIRMAR. Maybe this will help. Check your power at the sensor to make sure you're getting 12V there.

JohnnyB
06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Lars....exactly what I'm looking for! I can figure it out based on that!!!

Many thanks!!

Lars
06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
You're welcome, glad I could help!
Hey if you're testing around with that I was wondering if you could check the resistance of the temp sensor at room temp, I still haven't fixed mine yet. I *think* it should be 2-3k ohms but just want to make sure :P

JohnnyB
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
You're welcome, glad I could help!
Hey if you're testing around with that I was wondering if you could check the resistance of the temp sensor at room temp, I still haven't fixed mine yet. I *think* it should be 2-3k ohms but just want to make sure :P

In the garage at 80deg air temp it registered 10.5k ohms. When I plugged it back in, air temp read 80 deg and lake temp read 76 deg.

JohnnyB
06-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Back to troubleshooting my speedometer. I checked the plug connector in the bilge. Terminals appear uncorroded and well coated with dielectric grease. What next? How can I diagnose?

I read in another thread about a self-test mode for the temp guage and will try that since its part of the paddle wheel assembly.

Short of replacing the paddle wheel and testing and then the MMDC and testing, is there a way to bench test the paddle wheel???

Is there a wiring diagram out there somewhere??

I have 12v coming from the boat side connector and have a good ground at the connector. With the temp guage checking out and the voltage from the controller, I'm going to venture that it is the paddle wheel and order a new one. According to the manufacturer website, they have a finite life, especially at high speed use. It also mentions a rebuild kit so I'm going to call them 1st.

jmac197
06-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Does anyone have the schematic from the mastercraft side?

snork
06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Definitely paddle wheel