PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable 7424 - orbital buffer

zepdog
10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Looking into buying the porter cable 7424 orbital buffer to detail my 87 pro star. I would consider my finish to be in very good condition with some light oxidation on the transom and back sides (from sitting out on the hoist) i usually hand rub it out twice a year. After reading some post i have decided to use some of the 3-m products but i am not sure what pads to buy with the buffer, has anyone used the porter cable and if so what pads did they use and how were your results? my other option would be to pay someone to wheel it out for me (got prices for around $200)
Watched some how 2's on youtube using the porter cable and looks like it is pretty harmless on damaging the finish.
Thanks, Zepdog

supturb89
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I have the 7424xp. It works great. However for oxidation your best bet is wet sanding or else you will be redoing it every year or so. For light oxidation you can probably get by with some 1500 grit sand paper. If using the 3M products I would follow that up with the Marine Rubbing Compound with an orange pad (I use the the Lake Country CCS pads). I would then go to the Finnesse-It with a white pad. Finish it up with whatever wax you want with a blue pad.

I was told by my fiberglass/gelcoat guy that compounding alone will not remove the oxidation. Wet sanding sounds like it would be tough, but it is really simple, just time consuming. I learned you should always start with the least aggressive method and work your way up, but with oxidation you can make it look good for a time but it always seems to come back. This is why I would just wet sand it and forget it.

I purchase all my pads and polishes here (http://www.autogeek.net/index.html).

2RLAKE
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
i went with a Griot ... cant remember which one but it works terrifically well

gts-20
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I have the PC 7424 and it works great for fine detailing and minor oxidation, but as was said earlier, I would wet said heavy oxidation, and/or use a rotary buffer for medium build up

Sodar
10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Best tool I own. Perfect for final detail and applying wax. With this, I am able to wax my whole boat in less than 30 minutes.

For a circular, look at Harbor Freight. For $29, you cannot beat it.

zepdog
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Are you wet sanding by hand or you using a rotary wheel?

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Best tool I own. Perfect for final detail and applying wax. With this, I am able to wax my whole boat in less than 30 minutes.

For a circular, look at Harbor Freight. For $29, you cannot beat it.

I will second that. It comes with a one year warranty, but the first time you use it will probably be the most work it will ever see. When I buffed out my boat this summer, it saw a lot of hours, and never a problem.

gts-20
10-07-2010, 12:57 PM

I have always wet sanded by hand, and I would think using a power tool for it could get out of control and sand too much.

kkkeating
10-07-2010, 02:02 PM
The PC 7424 is a great product; it works great for boats and cars. If you have light oxidation, then wet sanding really should not be necessary. I purchase the Lake Country Pads from Autogeek.net. For pad comparison chart with detailed application info go to http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-foam-pads.html. I’d recommend purchasing different pad types and experiment to see what works best on your boat. I typically use the Blue Finessing Pad and it handles 90 % of the polishers and waxes. For minor oxidation removal you can use 3M Finesse itII(sometimes hard to get a hold of) or Meguiar’s Oxidation Remover, followed by Meguiars Boat and RV polish and finish with Mequiar’s Flagship wax. If you want to go more aggressive on the removing the oxidation you can go with Meguiar's #44 Color Restorer or #49 Oxidation Remover: #49 is the more aggressive of the two.

wtrskr
10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I went with the Harbor Freight orbital polisher and ended up taking advantage of the warranty because it overheated on me while doing the compound. It gets the job done, however, more expensive tool would probably make the job easier. The Harbor freight does come with a backing pad which saves additional $$'s.

I also used a Harbor Wool pad for the compounding, but then used a 3m foam pad (#0575 pad I beleive) for the Finesse-it polishing. I figured use the more expensive one instead of a Harbor pad for the finishing touch. The brand of the orbital polisher won't make a difference in the pad you use, it is the backing pad that needs to match the pad choice.

Gander Mountain has the 3M products. The compound was in the store and Finesse it II online with free shipping.

I'd try the compound without sanding to see if it works. If not, I'd probably try 1000 grit paper.

holms
10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Find a car paint store and get some foam Meguiars pads

supturb89
10-07-2010, 10:59 PM

I wet sand by hand.