PDA

View Full Version : Need a few questions answered about carpet replacement 83 S&S...

03geetee
10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Ok,

I have done plenty of searching got most of the information I need but I have some questions...

1. My boat has two huge galvanized brackets with bolts (4-5 each side) just under the motor dog house that the carpet runs underneath. How do I replace the carpet there? Do I have to lift the motor up so I can remove the bolts and lift the brackets up? See picture below...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/022-1.jpg

2. On the sides of boat where the carpet transitions from flat floor to up the sides of the gunnels is there a seam there or is it all one piece?

3. I plan on leaving the carpet under the bow as it is in perfect shape, I am curious if there is a nice place under the dash out of sight to make the seam/cut so it wont show.

Any help or pictures would be a huge help! I found some old threads but some of the pictures are long gone, I want to get started on this ASAP as I know the glue removal is not the best part but great to do in the winter when I am bored.

Thanks for any help!

JTR

ski_king
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
My 82 is slightly different, but

1: Just take the carpet up to the brackets, why risk the chance of misalignment by lifting the brackets.

2: As I remember the carpet wraps up onto the side of the boat. I believe there is a seam down the middle. Or at least my boat has one there now.

3: I kept my bow carpet as well. I transitioned right in front of the drivers foot brace.

I had the upolstery shop replace my carpet when it was in there shop. The charged me $100 for the install, but I already had all the seats , etc removed and loose.

03geetee
10-06-2010, 02:08 PM
My 82 is slightly different, but

1: Just take the carpet up to the brackets, why risk the chance of misalignment by lifting the brackets.

2: As I remember the carpet wraps up onto the side of the boat. I believe there is a seam down the middle. Or at least my boat has one there now.

3: I kept my bow carpet as well. I transitioned right in front of the drivers foot brace.

I had the upolstery shop replace my carpet when it was in there shop. The charged me $100 for the install, but I already had all the seats , etc removed and loose.

Thanks for the info, I am toying around with stripping not just the interior but the old carpet too and the glue to make it even cheaper.

Thank you!

JTR

waterlogged882
10-08-2010, 07:23 PM

waterlogged882
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM

03geetee
10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks brother!

JTR