PDA

View Full Version : Need a few questions answered about carpet replacement 83 S&S...

03geetee
10-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Ok,

I have done plenty of searching got most of the information I need but I have some questions...

1. My boat has two huge galvanized brackets with bolts (4-5 each side) just under the motor dog house that the carpet runs underneath. How do I replace the carpet there? Do I have to lift the motor up so I can remove the bolts and lift the brackets up? See picture below...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/022-1.jpg

2. On the sides of boat where the carpet transitions from flat floor to up the sides of the gunnels is there a seam there or is it all one piece?

3. I plan on leaving the carpet under the bow as it is in perfect shape, I am curious if there is a nice place under the dash out of sight to make the seam/cut so it wont show.

Any help or pictures would be a huge help! I found some old threads but some of the pictures are long gone, I want to get started on this ASAP as I know the glue removal is not the best part but great to do in the winter when I am bored.

Thanks for any help!

JTR

ski_king
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
My 82 is slightly different, but

1: Just take the carpet up to the brackets, why risk the chance of misalignment by lifting the brackets.

2: As I remember the carpet wraps up onto the side of the boat. I believe there is a seam down the middle. Or at least my boat has one there now.

3: I kept my bow carpet as well. I transitioned right in front of the drivers foot brace.

I had the upolstery shop replace my carpet when it was in there shop. The charged me $100 for the install, but I already had all the seats , etc removed and loose.

03geetee
10-06-2010, 03:08 PM
My 82 is slightly different, but

1: Just take the carpet up to the brackets, why risk the chance of misalignment by lifting the brackets.

2: As I remember the carpet wraps up onto the side of the boat. I believe there is a seam down the middle. Or at least my boat has one there now.

3: I kept my bow carpet as well. I transitioned right in front of the drivers foot brace.

I had the upolstery shop replace my carpet when it was in there shop. The charged me $100 for the install, but I already had all the seats , etc removed and loose.

Thanks for the info, I am toying around with stripping not just the interior but the old carpet too and the glue to make it even cheaper.

Thank you!

JTR

Cloaked
10-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok,

I have done plenty of searching got most of the information I need but I have some questions...

1. My boat has two huge galvanized brackets with bolts (4-5 each side) just under the motor dog house that the carpet runs underneath. How do I replace the carpet there? Do I have to lift the motor up so I can remove the bolts and lift the brackets up? See picture below...

2. On the sides of boat where the carpet transitions from flat floor to up the sides of the gunnels is there a seam there or is it all one piece?

3. I plan on leaving the carpet under the bow as it is in perfect shape, I am curious if there is a nice place under the dash out of sight to make the seam/cut so it wont show.

Any help or pictures would be a huge help! I found some old threads but some of the pictures are long gone, I want to get started on this ASAP as I know the glue removal is not the best part but great to do in the winter when I am bored.

Thanks for any help!

JTRI will say this; You didn't read too much here because I have answered every question more than once, not to mention the many others that have done the same. :-)

1) I let the carpet overlap (loosely) the metal reinforcement plate and cut it on each end to glue to the floor. Looks just fine. No need to remove anything engine related. Besides, the engine cover is down most of the time. $0.02.

2) That can be one piece. I always do it as one piece. It's not difficult until farther forward near the throttle assembly. I suggest not ripping out the carpet at random. Take it out as neatly in one piece as possible (in all corresponding areas, including the removable floor sections). That will serve as the perfect template for cutting the new pieces. Up front where the hull curves, you'll be glad you did. Don't go ripping it out like a mad man.

3) You answered your own question. Any place out of sight is a good place to make the cut and the transition. I have done the same thing every time I have done carpet. I usually look in the area of the foot rest, or somewhere that I do not have to work from under the dash too deep into the covered hull. Make it easy on yourself.

Glue removal is painful but a power sander with several packs of sand paper will do the trick. Don't look for perfection. Just a nice smooth surface to re-glue new carpet.

I have a red boat and red carpet is too much for me to look at all at once, all day long. Red carpet saturates the eye to that color more than I care. Grey is always a nice color to break up the color of one redundant visual. It doesn't show dirt (too bad) and is a cool (to the sun) color.

Cut the sides and install from the rear toward forward. Place each side, then work on the front-center from the tow bar forward. Once all of the seats are removed, you'll see how to lay it out. I can't say enough how valuable the old carpet is for a template. Take it or leave it.

Below you can see how I overlapped the carpet onto the plate.

Cloaked
10-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok,.............

Thanks for any help!

JTRThe carpet job is easy, just tedious at times. Two people can make it go in a day easy. I have done it by myself several times, and it's still not bad. I just use 8" concrete masonary units to hold a few places secure until I can get to them. Two people and some tunes on a Saturday will do the trick once the prep is completed.

03geetee
10-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks brother!

JTR