PDA

View Full Version : Need advise LQ9 winterize

Rado_7
10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm new to the Mastercraft X30 2003 LQ9. I want some advise on winterizing this closed system. It can't be very difficult. Can this forum give me some insite on the process. The engine is an LQ9, I just need some assistance.:o

rhsprostar
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Super easy, this is what i do....

Remove airfilter from the front of the engine. Start while still in the water and spray fogging oil in while revving the motor a bit. Replace airfilter.
Remove two drain bolts from the heat exchanger, undo the hose coupler that links the two exhaust manifolds, remove hose from the exit side of the raw water pump and turn the motor over a few times without saftey lanyard attached to get the water out...done. If you have a heater you leave it because it is full of antifreeze not water.
Remove bottom drain and put in ziplock bag along with the heat exchanger bolts. Ziptie all to steering wheel. Write a list of what you did on the ziplock bag and the date.

Somepeople change the oil and tranny fluid but I do that in the spring

Ballasts?..you are on your own as I am a ski guy (197).

Done....

rhsprostar
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh I also check the strength of the antifreeze with a special tester for proplyen glycol.
Bought it at an autoparts store for about $20. Not the same as a regular antifreeze tester!
It has always been perfect but you have to check for peace of mind...;)
The test takes about 30 seconds.

1985 Skiier
10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
change the oil and tranny fluid before it sits for the winter. I keep a light bulb on in the engine bay to minimize moisture.

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I have never fogged my MCX, fogged my 2 stroke waverunner. I am not in a super cold climate, do you frigid-tundra guys fog??

Rado_7
10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks so much...Seems easy enough and saves a load of cash. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

All the best to you!

#47of100TeamMC
10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Obviously there are many ways to winterize an LQ9. Many of them are sure to be just fine. A few things I do different...

I would recommend changing the Engine and Tranny oil before you store it. Deposits in the oil are not good to leave sitting in the bottom of the oil pan for extended periods of time. Plus, in the spring who wants to take the time to change oil when you want to get it out on the water!

I only remove 1 plug from the heat exchanger, the one you want to remove is the port side drain (fartherst from drivers seat). The Starboard side drain will drain your antifreeze and you don't want to do that.

Remove your impeller, coat it with vaseline and stick it in a plastic bag. Leaving it sit in the housing dry all winter is a good way to prematurely wear it and cause it to fail.

Disconnect the hose that runs behind your engine on top of your Trans. It is a regular garden hose fitting.

I also fill the tank full of Non-Oxygenated fuel and add Stabilizer.

Remove battery and charge it, store it inside.

rhsprostar
10-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Obviously there are many ways to winterize an LQ9. Many of them are sure to be just fine. A few things I do different...

I would recommend changing the Engine and Tranny oil before you store it. Deposits in the oil are not good to leave sitting in the bottom of the oil pan for extended periods of time. Plus, in the spring who wants to take the time to change oil when you want to get it out on the water!

I only remove 1 plug from the heat exchanger, the one you want to remove is the port side drain (fartherst from drivers seat). The Starboard side drain will drain your antifreeze and you don't want to do that.

Remove your impeller, coat it with vaseline and stick it in a plastic bag. Leaving it sit in the housing dry all winter is a good way to prematurely wear it and cause it to fail.

Disconnect the hose that runs behind your engine on top of your Trans. It is a regular garden hose fitting.

I also fill the tank full of Non-Oxygenated fuel and add Stabilizer.

Remove battery and charge it, store it inside.

I guess the heat exchangers can vary from year to year. Mine is located under the raw water impellar on the front of the motor. There are three drain plugs. The one in the middle is the coolant and the two on either end are for water.

Stabilizer is a must as well. Put it in before your last run. You want to make sure you get it into the engine and not just in the tank.