PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever install a remote start in their boat?

thatsmrmastercraft
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I have installed remote start units in my last several vehicles. It wouldn't work in my '77 since it has a carb, but any reason not to put one in an injected boat?

Luv2Ski
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
A couple of concerns that come to mind are:

1. If the boat develops prop spin in neutral, there is a safety concern
2. Should the system malfunction or kid could get the remote which could result in starting the boat out of the water leading to an overheat situation.

I could certainly see the motivation to do this for folks who live on the water. You could get the engine warmed up form inside a heated cabin before an early-season morning session.

Number 1 can probably be addressed by using caution, number 2 perhaps address with a bypass switch for when the boat is out of H2O.

sixysixss
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
It may be against Coast Guard regulations. Also, would not be safe since you should always run the blower prior to start-up.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
It may be against Coast Guard regulations. Also, would not be safe since you should always run the blower prior to start-up.

Blower would be an issue. Certainly possible to add in a relay with a timer to run the blower, but not sure if I would be comfortable enough with that.

Over-ride switch could be added to diasble system when out of the water, bit still no guarantees.

Hmmmmm.

Luv2Ski
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Good point with the blower, and agreed that a timed relay would do the trick - spring for a solid state unit so there are no sparks. For easy fault tolerance simply wire two relays in the circuit. For robust fault tolerance, it would probably best to have a EE friend help build a circuit that could monitor the blower and ensure it had actually run for the set amount of time (based on current flow or better yet airflow out the vent).

For the out of water issue you could probably implement a float switch.

Getting pretty complicated though - likely finding out why nobody has done it :)

h2oskifreak
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Why would a person want to? I don't see the benifit out weighing the potential safety issues. There is a reason (even though nobody ever uses it) there is a tether to the kill switch that is supposed to be attached to the driver when operating.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Why would a person want to? I don't see the benifit out weighing the potential safety issues. There is a reason (even though nobody ever uses it) there is a tether to the kill switch that is supposed to be attached to the driver when operating.

Always one to think outside the box, and being fond of cool gadgets (not to mention controversy), this popped into my mind.

As far as the tether switch goes, unless you managed to start your boat in gear, I don't think that it of significant benefit at start-up whether using a remote start or turning the key manually.

Besides, auto start systems are always shut down if your transmission is engaged.............except for maybe Toyota.:D

TX.X-30 fan
10-06-2010, 09:06 AM
What happens when your gone and the neighbor hits his garage door opener.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
It opens?????

thatsmrmastercraft
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Oh, wait........It Closes.

I don't know. Its the old 50/50/90 rule - I can't get the answer right, can I?

TX.X-30 fan
10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
It opens?????

And your boat starts??

east tx skier
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
For me, personally, this doesn't add any value or enjoyment to a boat.

Thus, I fully expect it to be standard equipment from all the major manufacturers soon.

8p