PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tachometer

Iskidaily
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Just bought a 2002 X-star. When I got it, the tach was broken, with the needle always sagging to the bottom. I figured it was electrical and since I got a great deal on the boat, I decided I could do without a tachometer. The second time we took the boat out, the tach spun to max rpms, even though the engine was clearly not revving, just at idle. Next the check engine light comes on... Any ideas?

The8Ball
10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Tach is a must-have, IMO.

I have 98 prostar. The tach also acts up sometimes - especially if left in humid environments.

I know of TeleFlex and Medallion. In my boat, it was Teleflex.

Problem was... I could not find one that matched what was in there. So I went onto ebay and purchased 'new old stock' ... basically, a new tach that was 10 years old that someone had.

You may want to consider the same kind of approach if you cannot find one that matches your other instruments.

Maybe not in your case, but I have found my local MC dealer in Houston to be less than average in their service. If your boat is more than 5 years old, you're basically out of luck with those guys.

ebay.

DeVrieski
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
The Tach in my 2000 PS 205 did the same thing - spin to full RPM's and is stuck there. I was told it might be the onboard computer, but my gut says it is the tach. I am hesitant to replace if it isn't the problem as I am guessing they are expensive, but I need a tach.

sethro
10-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I had a Medallion tach die in the past, but it was the MDC with the only problem being the tach. Luckily, it was under warranty.