PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing trailer?

brettmess24
09-28-2010, 07:22 PM
What preventative maintenance/winterization things do you perform on your trailers?

Wondering if it's a good idea to put the trailer on Jack stands and if it's a good time to change the oil in the bearings and Change the brake fluid.

If you do put Jack stands on under the trailer where do you place them, so I can still climb in and out of the boat?

Sodar
09-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I always leave mine on jack stands and I put the jack stands under the axles on my torsion trailer. If I had a spring trailer, I would put them under the frame to take the pressure off the springs.

As far as oil and brake fluid, I would only do it if the fluids were contaminated.

brettmess24
09-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I always leave mine on jack stands and I put the jack stands under the axles on my torsion trailer. If I had a spring trailer, I would put them under the frame to take the pressure off the springs.

As far as oil and brake fluid, I would only do it if the fluids were contaminated.

Perfect thank you!

So with a dual torsion axle you put a total of four Jack stands?

I will probably do the fluids as the winter gets pretty long up here......!:o

Sodar
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I just do two under the front axle. My boat is pretty light, though. If it were an X-45, I would probably put more under!

Thrall
10-05-2010, 10:28 AM
What preventative maintenance/winterization things do you perform on your trailers?

Wondering if it's a good idea to put the trailer on Jack stands and if it's a good time to change the oil in the bearings and Change the brake fluid.

If you do put Jack stands on under the trailer where do you place them, so I can still climb in and out of the boat?

I try to swap brake fluid every 3-4 years, but rather than bleed it all out, I just empty the reservior and re-fill several times during the summer when the trailer is being used. After doing that a half dozen times, you effectively remove most all of the old fluid and it only takes 1 minute each time, compared to a couple hrs draining/flushing the whole system.
Not sure what the service intervals are on the oil hubs, but I'm thinking every 5-10k miles....gear lube in your vehicle diffs is about a 30k mile reccomended change interval.