PDA

View Full Version : Prop suggestions

mikewink
09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I have a CSX 220 that is a stump magnet (I swear it's not my fault). Nothing major but even a minor bump seems to tork the prop sending shutters through the boat. Then I have to get the prop rebalanced. This happened a couple of times in my previous 190 but never had to be the prop balanced. Does anyone have a suggestion for props that are maybe a little more sturdy than the stock MC. Or a suggestion for a spare so it does not ruin a day at the lake?

russlars
09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a CSX 220 that is a stump magnet (I swear it's not my fault). Nothing major but even a minor bump seems to tork the prop sending shutters through the boat. Then I have to get the prop rebalanced. This happened a couple of times in my previous 190 but never had to be the prop balanced. Does anyone have a suggestion for props that are maybe a little more sturdy than the stock MC. Or a suggestion for a spare so it does not ruin a day at the lake?
Others may disagree with this, but if you are certain that all of your hits are going to be minor switch to a SS prop. They will chew through the little stuff and hold up just fine. The only problem seems to be if you hit something major, then you may run the risk of messing up more than just your prop. My spare is a SS prop. It won't match the performance of my ACME, but it will save the day if my nibral prop takes a hit and goes out of balance.

carracer
09-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Which would you rather purchase a new prop or a new shaft and maybe transmission they are on their for a reason. You say you seem to attract stumps I may would if possible find new location to play !

Jerseydave
09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd stay away from stainless props since you seem to hit stumps. Something has to give and you don't want to bend your propshaft or worse.

You should carry a spare so your day doesn't end too soon.

jason@wakemakers.com
09-28-2010, 02:25 PM
The other big issue with stainless is that you'll sacrifice a lot of performance simply because there are very few applications offered (compared to machined nibral props there are probably 1/20th of the sizes available).

Pick up a weekend saver kit (http://www.wakeprops.com/acme-weekend-saver-traditional-kit.html) with a new prop so you have a back up, and you'll get a performance upgrade at the same time.

willyt
09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
It depends on your application, but I have the 14.25x14.5 OJ. If your looking to get rid of those stumps this prop will pull em for ya.

I also bought the acme 14.5x14.25. If it's anything like the OJ, can't go wrong with these numbers

Traxx822
09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
wait wait wait ... pulling out an old thread since this seemed to explain the most ... I'm worried about stumps etc and want a stronger prop. My current prop vibrates a little since I repaired the ding myself but still I want to order a new one and send my dinged one out and get reballanced so I have a spare. I have a 4 blade idk what on there now. I wakeboard and surf. And worried about wanting strength. But according to this thread there are differences. Can I get a hand here?
oh, 95 maristar 200vrs

Jerseydave
09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
wait wait wait ... pulling out an old thread since this seemed to explain the most ... I'm worried about stumps etc and want a stronger prop. My current prop vibrates a little since I repaired the ding myself but still I want to order a new one and send my dinged one out and get reballanced so I have a spare. I have a 4 blade idk what on there now. I wakeboard and surf. And worried about wanting strength. But according to this thread there are differences. Can I get a hand here?
oh, 95 maristar 200vrs

Contact Eric@OJprops to get his suggestions. You will need to know what prop you have now, plus what your top speed and top rpm's are. Don't keep running that prop if it vibrates, you will do more damage over time.

Traxx822
09-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Will do. Thanks for the tip. So confusing.