PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramp etiquette

oldairboater
09-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Just to vent---. Things never change. The boat ramps I use for fishing and hunting seldom have this problem but the boat ramps I use for my ski boats, this happens all the time. I was backing up my trailer and truck from where I parked it. The parking lot is a good hike from the ramp. I had a person cut in front of me as I was backing up then reverse into the ramp in front of me. This doesn't happen a lot but it happens. I just backed around him and used the ramp next to him. Before that happened the boat he was going to load for went by throwing a monster wake. I watched my girlfriend fight to keep the boat off of the dock from this monster wake. I just climbed into my boat and was fixing to drive it on the trailer and here came the wake maker again . He actually brought his boat off of what I call a before plaining wake maker at the ramp. I had to wait on his wake to go by and flatten back out to drive my boat on to the trailer. I never said anything but thought to myself about how ignorant and rude this guy was. After pulling out of the ramp and over to the side I preceded to put things away. This dumbass then wanted to have a conversation. I just walked off and got in the truck and left. I figured as tired as I was that a night in jail for me and a couple in the hospital for him weren't worth my time today.

mtajpa
09-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Had a bit of a wait this morning at the ramp to launch as I got out late. 3-4 boats waiting in line as I get ready to take my turn a guy with a trailer cuts right in front of me. So I let him go and then he can't decide what to do next. Well the Park Ranger was setting right there in his truck and wipped on the lights and sirens. As I took my turn put boat in the water and drove past him to park all I could do was smile. The ranger had his ticket book out. Justice was served.

east tx skier
09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Ignoring him and driving off was the best decision you made that day. Probably infuriated him to no end to not be able to gripe at you for now reason and left you clean as a whistle. There is no escaping these morons. I try to remind myself to not be in a hurry and not expect any courtesy from others at the boat ramp. Low expectations makes it easier to relax, and when some one is courteous, it makes it that much better.

flipper
09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I wish I could do that sometimes. I have a hell of a time keeping my mouth shut. Some things will never change though, and morons will surround us for the rest of time

fstaslp
09-27-2010, 11:53 AM
We use the ramp like we are a nascar pit crew. Everyone has a job and knows how to do it. I Bet we spend less than a minute from backing in to pulling out. We try to stay away from the clueless.

Poulin
09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
As long as stupid people have stupid kids, this will continue....and I"ll have a job!

Kudos on walking away.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I always work on the basis that the average person is a complete idiot, and that half of the people in the world are below average..................some way below. Easier to keep your expectations low that way.

PA Prostar
09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
At the boat ramp I use, people drive right up to it from trailering on the highway and proceed to take their 10 minutes to unpack either on the ramp or before it, basically blocking anyone from butting in front of them. I imagine this is quite common everywhere. So I don't expect any different on the water when we hit it.

I also try and spend the least amount of time on the ramp as possible. I pull over and unpack out of everyone's way. Half of my reason is to keep out of the danger zone as long as possible. Don't want anyone side swiping my truck or boat. I don't load or unload while the ramp next to me is loading/unloading either. Again, I'm trying to be nice, but protect myself at the same time.

It's sad that the world has turned into what it is nowadays.

flipper
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I like it when the 300 pound wife is sitting on the dock holding the boat blocking the ramp waiting to her 400 pound husband to hike up the ramp. Mean while nobody can use that lane of the ramp because she is too stupid to hold the boat on the other side of the dock where there is no ramp to block.

atlfootr
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Keeping your :cool: makes YOU, the coolest person to be around.
Nice way to handle, what could of been a sticky situation.

supturb89
09-27-2010, 02:48 PM
We use the ramp like we are a nascar pit crew. Everyone has a job and knows how to do it. I Bet we spend less than a minute from backing in to pulling out. We try to stay away from the clueless.

I have years of experience loading and unloading at the ramp, mostly from waterfowl hunting. My wife on the other hand has none and having recently purchased my first MC I was a little skeptical as to how our first experience at the ramp would be. We talked about it on the way to the lake and had a good plan figured out. To my surprise everything went as planned loading and unloading, couldn't have been more proud of the wife.:D It just goes to show that if you don't get in a big damn hurry and do a little planning things will go much smoother.

TX.X-30 fan
09-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Good choice but would have been fun to cold-**** him huh??

tex
09-27-2010, 09:13 PM
As long as stupid people have stupid kids, this will continue....and I"ll have a job!

Kudos on walking away.

I'm with you...job security!

Thrall
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. If we're the only one at the ramp (common in the evenings here), we'll take our sweet time, but if the ramp's busy at all, the boat get's all unhooked, packed with gear, boards out on the racks, little kids in the boat, etc before ever backing down. Never spend more than a minute from backing down to driving up.