PDA

View Full Version : need some help

kdr
09-25-2010, 08:11 PM
my 99 205V won't start and I could use some help.

Some background: About a month ago I put the driver's Kick Panel back in the boat after having it out for a couple of seasons. First time I put it in the water, it wouldn't turn over and nothing on the dash worked. The problem was the main wiring harness behind the kick panel. There is not much slack in the line and I stretched it just enough to lose the connection. I fixed it and put the kick panel back in and then took the boat for a cruise. No Problems.

Last night I was out and I went wakeboarding. My wife turned the boat off when she picked me up and then the boat wouldn't start and the dash had no power. I assume its the wiring harness again. I get to the harness today and it's got a good connection. I got my test light out and looked at the ignition. I got power on the battery terminal when the key is in the off and ACC positions. Light goes out when in the on and start positions. No fuses are blown, no breakers are tripped.

Does anyone have any tips on what to look for or how to proceed?

BNIROOSTER
09-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Did u check the 50 amp breaker under the engine cover?

willyt
09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
This may be a stupid question but have you checked the safety lanyard? It somehow fell off the mounting for me this weekend. Swore I burnt up a fuel pump until someone suggested it to me. Might also want to check your fuel pressure if the boat is cranking and not starting. Sounds like it might be your problem, not sure how that would be related to your dash problem tho

east tx skier
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
This may be a stupid question but have you checked the safety lanyard? It somehow fell off the mounting for me this weekend. Swore I burnt up a fuel pump until someone suggested it to me. Might also want to check your fuel pressure if the boat is cranking and not starting. Sounds like it might be your problem, not sure how that would be related to your dash problem tho

Even after making this recommendation countless times, when I had a "won't start" issue at the beginning of this season, I was in the water swimming the boat back to the ramp when it dawned on me to check the safety lanyard.

That was it. Give it a look.

kdr
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Main breaker was not tripped, lanyard was in place. Even with the lanyard off the engine should still turn over, just not fire. I am getting nothing.

I got it in the garage yesterday before the rain came and started going through things. The battery measured 12.08 V. With the key in the off position, my lights, bildge, horn, and depth finder all work. With the key in the acc position, the radio works like it's supposed to. When I turn the key to "run", I still have the horn and depth finder and I can get the bildge, lower and lights unless I move the key to the start position, then nothing Starter doesn't turn adn lights, blower, bilge won't come on, even in the run and off positions. If I wait about 3-5 minutes, I get the accessories back. everything goes out once I put it in start. Another thing, only one time did I get all my gauges to work. They usually make all kinds of racket when you turn the key to the on position, but for the most part it was a no go yesterday.

As a shot in the dark, I pulled the starter and I am going to have it tested today to see if it may be the culprit. I hope it is because I do not like chasing down electrical issues.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
my 99 205V won't start and I could use some help.

Some background: About a month ago I put the driver's Kick Panel back in the boat after having it out for a couple of seasons. First time I put it in the water, it wouldn't turn over and nothing on the dash worked. The problem was the main wiring harness behind the kick panel. There is not much slack in the line and I stretched it just enough to lose the connection. I fixed it and put the kick panel back in and then took the boat for a cruise. No Problems.

Last night I was out and I went wakeboarding. My wife turned the boat off when she picked me up and then the boat wouldn't start and the dash had no power. I assume its the wiring harness again. I get to the harness today and it's got a good connection. I got my test light out and looked at the ignition. I got power on the battery terminal when the key is in the off and ACC positions. Light goes out when in the on and start positions. No fuses are blown, no breakers are tripped.

Does anyone have any tips on what to look for or how to proceed?

Might check for a bad ground at the battery. Be worth your time to clean all the battery connections and the connection at the starter.

kdr
09-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Starter was not the problem, it ran just fine on the bench. I replaced the battery with a known good one, and made sure all the connections were good and clean.

I installed the started, but left the start connection loose. Turned the key to on and all the accessories worked, but the gauges did not do their normal startup thing. I turned the key to start and nothing happened as expected, but I didn't lose my accessories when I went back to run. So next I hooked up the start lead to the starter. I turned the key got a click from the starter, then all my accessories were dead. I wait about 3 minutes and they come back. I am stumped.

kdr
09-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Might check for a bad ground at the battery. Be worth your time to clean all the battery connections and the connection at the starter.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

What really threw me was that I changed out the battery and thought I had made sure that the connections were good. I actually had to get my other terminal cleaner, the one with the scraper, not the brush. to take off the top layer of the ground post and the terminal.

Thanks thatsmrmastercraft

thatsmrmastercraft
09-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

What really threw me was that I changed out the battery and thought I had made sure that the connections were good. I actually had to get my other terminal cleaner, the one with the scraper, not the brush. to take off the top layer of the ground post and the terminal.

Thanks thatsmrmastercraft

Glad to be of service. I will send invoice via PM. :D