PDA

View Full Version : Double Boots vs RTP

tall_ andy
08-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Okay I'm not trying to open pandora's box here, but I'm in the market for a new ski. I have a VERY old Jobe with only a rear toe piece (not even a plate) Yesterday like my back foot was moving too much. What do you all use, and what do you see as the pros and cons of both.
Thanks

east tx skier
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
It's really a matter of personal preference. Once I started using double boots, I never looked back. In fact, I feel uncomfortable on a RTP nowadasy (except on the Maha)! Currently on Double HO Animals w/ superfeet. Love them. Wife has the venoms and doesn't like them so much. I think she's going to try the Wiley's highwraps next. I hear great things.

So the answer is. Try them both and stick with what's most comfortable to you. Obviously, you can be a world record skier without double boots. Look at Mapple.

John B
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Doug, Not only is he not using double boots,but he on that "Twitchy" Mapple too. Well this year he was on the Sixam. :D

John B
08-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I use double boots. The O'Brein Contact with rear lace up.
They ripped last week and I'm going to order a pair of the O'Brein Bio boots front lace up today.
The last time I skied with a RTP I fell and my back foot came out and my front did not.
It hurt my ankle bad, I could not ski for three months :mad:

bcampbe7
08-23-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't know how much my opinion matters here since I have only slalomed about 7 times now, but...
I got an HO Phantom Truth with double HO Phantoms and love it. I started with a Pahntom front and RTP and didn't care for it. I have been wakeboarding for about 3 years and for me I think I needed the secure feeling of both feet being strapped in. I am by no means tearing up the couse, but I am having fun... :twocents:

tall_ andy
08-23-2004, 01:29 PM
How many of you that use the RTP start with the back foot out?
I think that will be the biggest change for me. I've always started with the back foot out and put it in once I'm up.
AAAggghhhhh.......Can't wait to get my new ski!!!!!!!!!

John B
08-23-2004, 01:35 PM
bcampbe7,
Don't belittle yourself,your opinion means just as much as everyone else. :D

John B
08-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Andy,
That is how I learn to ski, and why I did not want double boots.
But after I hurt my ankle I learn how to get up with both feet locked on to that ski. :D

bcampbe7
08-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks John B...
Love the pics BTW, keep them coming.

stevo137
08-23-2004, 02:59 PM
RTP for me. It's how I've been doing it since I was young. The lake that I learned on was so shallow in most places that you either did a shallow water or jumping pier start.
I tried doubles last year and realized that I shift my back foot before the turns.
I don't like the RTP's with padding under the foot. I use the standard RTP from Bart's and it holds my foot in really well. Only good for about two seasons and stretches out.
I am going to try that HO at the cottage with the doubles just to give it another shot. I am always open minded to new things. It seems like most really like doubles once they get used to them.

Knoxes
08-23-2004, 03:19 PM
I have doubles - Connelly Concept with Stokers (I think). I like the secure feeling, but I don't like that I can't angle my back foot at all. The RTP allows some movement, but feels less secure to me. I wouldn't go all out on it for fear of breaking my friggin neck.

BriEOD
08-23-2004, 04:14 PM
I use double boots. The one comment I will make is that I think they are "safer." Speaking as a professional wipe out artist on the slalom ski I find that if I take a nasty fall and 1) both feet come out of the boots as I'm doing cartwheels-fine, 2) both feet stay in the boots and I turn a heliocopter-fine as well, however 3) one foot comes out and one in now you have a very good chance of doing damage to your knee with that ski flopping around. A RTP just increases your odds of having "one in and one out." The big advantage I hear people talk about with RTP is deep water starts. They like to drag a foot and then tuck it in. A deep water start in double boots is a little more difficult.

Bill336
08-23-2004, 05:50 PM
I have an RTP and have always started out with both feet on the ski. I don't know if I could get up trailing my back foot at the start.

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Double boot's for me. Specifically - the Connelly Visions that have slots so the plate can be angled from left to right. Excellent boots, but the blue overlays are now starting to crack after only 1 year.

André
08-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Rtp for me!Just can't feel comfortable with the double boots.Twice i gave it a chance but it's not working for me.Had several bad falls in the last 15 years and never got hurt by my back foot coming out of the RTP.Last friday,i modified my binding placement on the Rear toe plate by moving all the "rubbers" an inch and a half so the straps cover more toward the anckle and less toward the toes.Great improvement on both the comfort , the control and a better grip!
The only way for you to really find out what's best for you is to try both set ups!
Good luck!
:twocents:

hardycm
08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm a double booter as well and ditto what BriEOD says. Definitely take a look at the Wiley high wraps -- they're a great boot, especially if you have narrow feet. Also, if you rip a rubber, they are much less expensive (and actually available) -- you can't say that about most of the big brands.

tall_ andy
08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all of the replys. I have pretty much made up my mind to go with the CDX and Double Wileys. Birthday is just around the corner, and I'll use any extra income from that towards the ski!!
I'll let everyone know how I like it once I get a few sessions on it
Thanks again
Andy

east tx skier
08-23-2004, 08:23 PM
You'll love that CDX is my bet. Very comfortable ski for me.

What's the advantage of getting up with the back foot out. I've never done that.

stevo137
08-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Doug, the advantage is virtually no drag in a shallow water start, One little hop and you are on the water. In deep water, one leg out helps to keep balance before the up.

east tx skier
08-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Gotcha. Didn't know that one. Just never learned that way. Never had the opportunity to shallow water start I guess. Very comfortable getting up with both feet in though. Thanks for the info.

NeilM
08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I grew up doing shallow water (and dock) starts -- idea was to keep your non-wetsuited (we couldn't afford them) body out of forty degree :eek: water by standing on your 'back foot'. Deepwater starts became a necessity to reduce the nuisance factor of always heading back to shore after a fall.

After my wife's injury a couple of weeks ago, though, I'm re-thinking the RTP thing.. If she would have had a rear boot on her EP, she likely wouldn't be injured today..

...hmmm... I have an RTP on order for the Mapple... maybe I should re-think that too....:(

Dan K
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
I injured my ankle earlier this year on my first wipeout. I am convinced a rear boot would have saved me. I lost a lot of weight this year (45+lbs) and my Syncro is too much ski for me now. I am looking to order a new one for next year and will definately look for a rear boot.

paulphillipson
08-24-2004, 03:15 PM
I learned to get up with RTP, and while I bought a rear boot for my old Connelley Rocket, I just couldn't get used to it. My rear foot swivels i the turn, and it just felt wierd.