PDA

View Full Version : 2005 X-2 packing gland

h2o_nhk
09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Mastercraft family but have been around inboards my entire life. I grew up skiing, barefooting, and wakeboarding behind my fathers 1988 Nautique. In 2005 my wife and I picked up a nice 1997 Malibu VLX. This year we decided to upgrade to a 2005 X-2. Absolutley love this boat and the wake! It has definelty taken out riding to a whole new level. One question I do have for you veteran Mastercraft owners....Have any of you been able to tighten or replace the packing gland seal on this v-drive model? I can barely get my finger tips on the nut let alone a couple of wrenches. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

sand2snow22
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I thought we had a leak there, but it turned out to be a leaky hose. It is extremely tight under there. Good luck! Can you feel it or see it leaking more than it should?

h2o_nhk
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I've attempted to get a good visual of the drip rate but cannot get low enough in the rear compartments. I have also tested all raw water and ballast hoses (under normal operating conditions), along with the rudder packing. No dice.

h2o_nhk
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Biggest thing I'm concerned with is how to reach and adjust that packing gland. I'm fairly small and have tried several angles and approaches. I was just curious if anyone had successfully tightened the nut and how they went about it.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I got 2 adjustable plumber's sink wrenches (or called something like that) from Lowe's or Home Depot.

It's a little tedious, but not that big a deal. Just plan on taking your time. Once you get the technique it gets easier (obviously).

Take care,
Paul

EDIT: I guess I should clarify that I don't have rear hard tanks, so I can lay out in my rear compartments.

munkymush
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
if its like my 2004 x2 the best way is to remove the rear support bars that run front to rear, to hold the back decks.. i cant get down the side of my engine with these in at all...they only take a couple of minutes to remove as they are only on self tapping screws..