PDA

View Full Version : Mountain biking

Ben
09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm trying to get back into mountain biking, and looking to get a newer ride. Currently on an old KHS w/XT parts. Trying to figure out if I should stick w/hardtail, go to full susp, or maybe a hardtail 29er... Riding is singletrack somewhat aggressive parts (at least for lower michigan...).

Any others out there? Thoughts / opinions?

sk8salomon
09-21-2010, 06:39 AM
kinda like asking 20 people what new ski/wakeboard you should buy. you will get 20 different answers. i'm a hard tail guy myself but i won't lie and say there aren't days i wish i had full suspension. my best advice is find a bike shop that has a nice selection and take them out for a test. ride everything and make your own decision. it really depends on so many things (size, price, terrain, etc.)

fstaslp
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I am at both ends of the spectrum:

Bike 1: 2002 KHS FXT Pro
I bought this bike from a thrift shop who didn't know what they had. It is now totally built up. It is a 26" FS that I ride at places like Brown County where it is technical and there are a lot of elevation changes.

Bike 2: Dawes 29" rigid
This is my current favorite. It is like riding a grown up BMX bike on the trails. This one has no suspension and is a single speed. There is something about the simplicity of this bike that makes it awesome to ride. No chain slap, and the only thing to do is to pedal. I don't know what the terrain is like where you are, but if it is relatively little elevation change, I would reccomend a single speed. It teaches you to ride correctly and use better lines and braking.

94PS190
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Where do you ride? DR. Lawless park? I have a trek 8000. it's a hard tail, for me the price/performance/compontnts was about perfect. The only reason i didn't go full suspension is b ecause it would have cost considerably more to get the same component level in a FS. I also didn't think I really needed it, and I think I was right.

Patrick Hardy
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
kinda like asking 20 people what new ski/wakeboard you should buy. you will get 20 different answers. I'm a hard tail guy myself but i won't lie and say there aren't days i wish i had full suspension. my best advice is find a bike shop that has a nice selection and take them out for a test. ride everything and make your own decision. it really depends on so many things (size, price, terrain, etc.)

I second this thinking...just like a new ski / board....test, test and test ride some more..then buy the one that feels the best for you...I went with full suspension...but in hind sight I probably only needed a hard tail.

JMann
09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a hardtail iron horse and a full suspension santa cruz bullit. If I could I would get a Santa Cruz Blur LT or Nomad I would.
Either of those bike would be awesome.

Ben
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks to all - I'm going to call the local bike shop shortly and check on demo programs. My only issue with that is I'm planning to buy used (maybe 3-8 yrs old) to get better parts for a bit less. I don't want to spend enough to buy the bike I want new.

I know it's subjective, why is why I'm asking for opinions. I'm looking on craigslist & another internet site, so it's hard to demo everything, but I'll plan to find a way... A co-worker has a 2002 full suspension I may be able to try out.

I was leaning to find a nice hardtail w/XT parts a few years old, but there is not much out there like that now, which is why I'm considering other stuff.

I mainly ride at Pontiac Lake Rec Area, just west of Pontiac, MI. There is some decent climbs and downhills there as well as a little bit of flats, so I'm using all of my 21 speeds to get thru.

I know the full susp would be better on the downhills, but I'l not sure it's worth the loss I'd see on flat stuff, extra weight, etc.

Datdude
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Did you have a budget in mind? How tall are you?

I have a barely ridden Trek 6 Series that could be available. I bought the bike new in 2008 and just don't have a lot of time to ride. This is the 21.5" frame as I am 6'4". PM me if you are interested. I think I paid $799.00, but make an offer;)

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/archive/6000

jraben8
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM
It really, really depends. What do you like to do and how will it be ridden? Do you race? What about drops over 2 feet? Rock gardens or fast and flowy singletrack. Is there much climbing involved or is it strictly downhill runs? Then comes the question 26" vs. a 29'er (be sure to try both).

Based on what you answered above I'd have you seriously look at a hardtail 29'er. They seem to smooth everything out.

I just went from an 04 S-Works Epic to an Epic 29. Yes, they are both full suspension but certainly doesn't ride like a fully. And they are night and day different.

etduc
09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks to all - I'm going to call the local bike shop shortly and check on demo programs. My only issue with that is I'm planning to buy used (maybe 3-8 yrs old) to get better parts for a bit less. I don't want to spend enough to buy the bike I want new.

I know it's subjective, why is why I'm asking for opinions. I'm looking on craigslist & another internet site, so it's hard to demo everything, but I'll plan to find a way... A co-worker has a 2002 full suspension I may be able to try out.

I was leaning to find a nice hardtail w/XT parts a few years old, but there is not much out there like that now, which is why I'm considering other stuff.

I mainly ride at Pontiac Lake Rec Area, just west of Pontiac, MI. There is some decent climbs and downhills there as well as a little bit of flats, so I'm using all of my 21 speeds to get thru.

I know the full susp would be better on the downhills, but I'l not sure it's worth the loss I'd see on flat stuff, extra weight, etc.
Give your, height and weight. If you are 5'10 -6'1" I may have something, you'd be interested in. PM me.

JMann
09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
www.MTBR.com is a good website for reveiws. They have a market place too. I have never bought they thing but you could see what's on there.
You can save some money and go with the SRAM X7 shifters and derailiers. I finally put x7 stuff on my hardtail, it is much easier to tune and half the price.
I would try to get a full suspension with 4" rear travel. You will never regret having it but you will regret not having it.

FoggyNogginz
09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Agree that MTBR is a great place for reviews, and I must say that I absolutely LOVE my Santa Cruz Blur with Shimano XT, disc brakes, and Fox Float. I picked this whole thing up on ebay with great components because I knew what size I needed, and this saved me a bundle. The Blur has been the most versatile bike that I have ever ridden and I highly recommend riding one. You can go smooth, lockout, or fast rebound with the shocks and the bike is pure heaven on climbs, single track (mostly), and even small commutes.

BLUR on EBAY (http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/Sporting-Goods-/382/i.html?_nkw=santa+cruz+blur&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282)

BLUR on CRAIGLOOK (http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=santa+cruz+blur)

Good luck & happy riding.

TX.X-30 fan
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM

I have a barely ridden Trek 6 Series that could be available. I bought the bike new in 2008 and just don't have a lot of time to ride. This is the 21.5" frame as I am 6'4". PM me if you are interested. I think I paid $799.00, but make an offer;)

Hey take the sales adds to the Market Place before a mod whacks-ur-pee-pee....:D

sk8salomon
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
just remember what Lance said..."it's not about the bike"...or something like that.
i bought a year old Fugi that had been in the shop unsold for cheap. i ride with guys who bought $1000+ bikes and i beat the hell outta them on my $300 pos hard tail.
also, now is a good time to buy because the new bikes are coming in for '11.

TX.X-30 fan
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I remember Lance saying there is no way his estate used 42,000 gallons of water in one month, he agreed to check into the problem with his staff..................

Datdude
09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey take the sales adds to the Market Place before a mod whacks-ur-pee-pee....:D

pound sand:D

Ben
09-22-2010, 01:09 PM

I'm 5-10 on a good day, so I'd need a ladder and stilts for that. Thanks though.

Ben
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
just remember what Lance said..."it's not about the bike"...or something like that.
i bought a year old Fugi that had been in the shop unsold for cheap. i ride with guys who bought $1000+ bikes and i beat the hell outta them on my $300 pos hard tail.
also, now is a good time to buy because the new bikes are coming in for '11.

I'm with ya, but current ride has rims that are very slightly tweaked, could probably use rebuild on both hubs, middle chainring has 5 or 6 teeth only 1/2 there, front derailluer needs adjusting and those screws are rusty, cables could be replaced, and rear derailluer spring may be bad. Plus, faster and slower gears could be helpful. I'm checking around before I drop $150+ on the old beast. It does work though..

Hoping to find something in the $500 range, which I would think could get a nice '03 or so hardtail. Maybe a bit more if I go to 29er.

sk8salomon
09-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Hoping to find something in the $500 range, which I would think could get a nice '03 or so hardtail. Maybe a bit more if I go to 29er.

dude, for $500 you can get a decent NEW bike with disc brakes. technology of an '03 even top of the line is way outdated compared to '11 lower line. here's just an example.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_503476_-1_201675_10000_200516

Ben
09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks to all for the advice & thoughts. I ended up w/an '08 Trek Fuel FS. XT rear, deore elsewhere & Juicy 3 brakes. Not to of the line components, but as someone mentioned, probably as good or better than '03 LX or XT parts I initially thought I wanted. The 9 speed rear is a lot better than my old 7 speed, and having a front shifter / derailler that works 100% of the time is a good bonus too.

Rode yesterday, my back is very happy now, and I as a bit quicker on the loop trail. I added a jump / dropoff I'd been dodging w/the hardtail.

I think I'm about ready to give up on the boat due to windy conditions and a little bit due to temp. Looks like I'll be on the new bike more...

jraben8
09-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Very nice choice. You certainly can't go wrong with that one.

JMann
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
While we are talking mountain biking. Here's a picture of me on a single track we just found on our local mountain.

76S&S
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I am looking at purchasing a MB as well. Any other thoughts on bikes in the $500 range. Stat's, 6'2" about 205.

fstaslp
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
that is a sketchy bridge. Doubt it will last long.

dummy
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
I am looking at purchasing a MB as well. Any other thoughts on bikes in the $500 range. Stat's, 6'2" about 205.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a decent full-squish bike for that unless it's used. Up your price $250-$400 and you'll have your pick of lots of '06-ish used bikes. If you're looking for more of an all-mountain I'd recommend a '06-ish Specialized Enduro with a coil rear shock, although at 205 you could do an air shock with no trouble. They're about $1K over your price range, though. Maybe a Giant or Trek like this one (you'd want a Large or XL, of course): http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/717699/

If you're looking to ride street and moderate XC-type trails and want new, Motobecane are a pretty good deal. At your height you'd be a good fit for a Large or XL (depending on your inseam) 29er. They're not fancy, but bikesdirect.com has good customer service. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_x.htm The Sette line from pricepoint.com are also pretty good in the 29er (Sette Razzo), but they have better components and are more money.

The Motobecane would be a good stepping-off point that you could upgrade as you grow more serious. I'd ride it to get a feel for it, then maybe find some Avid, Hayes, XT, whatever juice brakes on craigslist and put 'em on, then upgrade the fork with a Rock Shox Reba or Fox Float. Bike like this would take you a ways into the sport.

dummy
09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Whoops, put up the link to the single-speed I was eyeballing. Here's the geared version: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_08.htm

And this is a much better deal with a better fork and juice brakes:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_08.htm

I'm considering one of these as a cheap test to see if I really want a 29er before plunking down several grand on a Niner or Turner.

Ski-me
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey, congrats on the new bike! I came late to this thread but the Fuel is a real nice bike. If it wasn't too late I would also suggest the comparable Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (my bike). :D

I would say that both the Fuel and Stumpjumpers are great bikes and you did good! The rear derailer is good at XT level....everything else not required. I actually love my Deore disc brakes and they work awesome. Some friends have nicer brakes and they squeak like crazy. I'm perfectly happy with mine.

I've ridden mine in Moab, Fruita and here in Colo Springs.....just a great bike and it's built well enough that it will hold up to the beating.

Enjoy the riding!:cool:

MarkP
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I would up your budget.. If you really use the bike you will be happy you did. Try to throw a leg over a 29er. Oh, did I say, Spend more?!!

MarkP
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
While we are talking mountain biking. Here's a picture of me on a single track we just found on our local mountain.

Nice shot JMan!! We need more of that!!!

Oh 76S&S that one link that dummy shows ( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_08.htm ) may work out well as a cant go wrong entry level bike for a good price.

Ben
10-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Has anyone bought from bikesdirect.com? I was going to look at a used 08 29er windsor cliff a guy got from there, but he had changed to gripshift, so I'd have to fix that, and I was nervous of all the "no-name" parts... The prices make it very tempting though. Especially the "XT" bikes. Very low cost way to get a nice set of parts.

It's tricky, on one side, you can always upgrade the parts later, but that is very expensive. On the other, you can get a good deal on a used bike if you shop around. There are a good deal on craigslist that never got used as intended... I'm still very happy with the used bike I got, although I've only hit the trail twice - hope to go again tomorrow.

Funny used bike story - I went to ride a '03 Klein palamino FS bike from an older guy that was basically using it to ride around the neighborhood. He also has a '99 stumpjumper hardtail that was nice, but too much $$ for the era. Anyway, I rode up and down his street, jumping curbs and stuff, fast, slow, fast, during test rides (at lunch in dress shirt / pants), and when I stopped, he made some comments that it was the hardest the bikes had been worked, and seemed nervous I was going to trash his bikes... I was thinking this guy has no idea what these bikes are made to do... - not that I'm a pro rider, but still.

Ben
10-01-2010, 12:07 AM

You should be able to find a really good hardtail that is a few yrs old. If you add a few hundred, you may be able to get into a used FS bike too.

As stated, for $500, you are not going to get a very good new bike, I'd recommend used. Although I'm cheap and always look for used, high quality, well maintained stuff, with low use if possible. Kinda like my boat.

phatfooter
10-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Having ridden many miles in Utah and Idaho, and now being older and softer, I find great benefits in riding a full suspension if the trail is rocky, rooted, or just plain long. Rarely lose traction on climbs over rocks, roots, etc. For "groomed" trails, hardtail works great.

76S&S
10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I've found a used 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo in my area but don't know enough about bikes to know if this is a good deal or not.

Description below, thoughts?

Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 Aluminum, Genesis Geometry

Wheels: Bontrager Camino Rims with Bontrager Jones XR Tires (26 x 2.2/2.25), Shimano RM30 rear hub, alloy front hub

Suspension: Rock Shox Dart 1 front fork, 100mm travel with adjustable preload

Drivetrain: 24 speed, Shimano Acera front derailleur, Shimano Deore rear derailleur, Shimano M341 42/32/22 crank

Brakes: Tektro V brakes

Overview: This Wahoo will suit most riders, and is a very capable hardtail bike. Thanks to its aluminum frame and Bontrager Sport components (seat post, handlebars, stem), it is a very light bike for the price, and is a capable hill climber. The Bontrager Jones XR tires are great for trail and road use, because the tread is right in the middle between aggressive and smooth. This, combined with the 24 speed drivetrain, makes the Wahoo a very versatile mountain bike, capable of handling modest commutes to work and miles of hard cross-country trail riding with ease. The Rock Shox Dart 1 suspension fork does a decent job of soaking up the big bumps, and can be adjusted via a knob at the top of the left fork leg for riders of various weights.

BTW, I'm on the larger side.......6'2" @ 205

MarkP
10-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Depends how hard you want to ride it. I dont think that Dart fork will hold up under you for long if you ride it in the woods.

Thats all entry level stuff and the bike had an msrp of about 480.

76S&S
10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info Mark, I'll keep looking.

MarkP
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Lets go, I put on 10 lbs just thinking about you not riding. You want me to look around. What part of town is "South East"??

JMann
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I am hitting Downieville Ca this weekend for a 15 mile down hill run with a shuttle to the top.

You tube or google downieville ca. It is a great ride that takes about 1.5 hours to get down. We are going to hit it twice on Saturday and once on Sunday.

76S&S
10-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Mark, SE for me is Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area of Alabama. I live, just about, right between the two cities.

MarkP
10-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I am hitting Downieville Ca this weekend for a 15 mile down hill run with a shuttle to the top.

You tube or google downieville ca. It is a great ride that takes about 1.5 hours to get down. We are going to hit it twice on Saturday and once on Sunday.
Is this yer spot? --> http://vimeo.com/5586953 What bike do you ride??

76S&S I'll look around.

MarkP
10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Not enough pics in the Mountain bike thread.!! This is my "newest" an 06 Leviathan that I built up a bit over a year ago. All good parts cop shocks-cop tires, you know the drill..

TX.X-30 fan
10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Is it true most bike riders are impotent??..........:D

MarkP
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Is it true most bike riders are impotent??..........:DYep!! I know I feel important.

MarkP
10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
I've found a used 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo in my area but don't know enough about bikes to know if this is a good deal or not.

Wheels: Bontrager Camino Rims with Bontrager Jones XR Tires (26 x 2.2/2.25), Shimano RM30 rear hub, alloy front hub

Drivetrain: 24 speed, Shimano Acera front derailleur, Shimano Deore rear derailleur, Shimano M341 42/32/22 crank

Overview: This Wahoo will suit most riders, and is a very capable hardtail bike. Thanks to its aluminum frame and Bontrager Sport components (seat post, handlebars, stem), it is a very light bike for the price, and is a capable hill climber. The Bontrager Jones XR tires are great for trail and road use, because the tread is right in the middle between aggressive and smooth. This, combined with the 24 speed drivetrain, makes the Wahoo a very versatile mountain bike, capable of handling modest commutes to work and miles of hard cross-country trail riding with ease. The Rock Shox Dart 1 suspension fork does a decent job of soaking up the big bumps, and can be adjusted via a knob at the top of the left fork leg for riders of various weights.

Go for the Kona King in your craigslist its a 20" frame and will be a good fit for you. Not really that bad of a price if it works well. the Rockhopper in your Craigslist should be a little stronger than that Wahoo but not by a lot, and its 19" frame may feel cramped on you..

dummy
10-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Agree with MarkP. Dart 1 fork is junky and you'll probably outgrow the V-brakes if you're over 200lbs. Also, at 205lbs the Bontrager rims may not do so well. Besides, 8-speed rear cassette (24-speed) is pretty old-school. Look for a 2x9 or 3x9 drivetrain (18- or 27-speed) and disc brakes (hydro preferable, mechanical acceptable).

dummy
10-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Here's my main XC race/daily-ride rig: Trek Fuel EX-9 in Large size since I prefer a longer top tube and shorter stem. It's 28lbs with the downhill tubes I run. Probably less than that since I swapped from Kenda to Schwalbe tires. Mostly stock but I swapped to a 60mm stem, put some Enduro seals in the Fox Talas fork, rebuilt the RP23 rear, and did some minor brake/drivetrain upgrades like a SRAM 991 chain and 990 rear cassette. At the crossroads now: do I swap to a 15QR fork and build some Chris King wheels for it or just bite the bullet and order a Pivot Mach 5.7 or Turner 5 Spot. The Fuel has been great and is an efficient climber and quick on the downhills, but I've loved the DW-link bikes I've ridden.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_0931.jpg
Top of a steep 2-mile climb.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_0857.jpg
Grinding up part of the cyclocross route at Hurkey Creek before the hike-a-bike sections start. It's way steeper than it looks.

MarkP
10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
LOL! Hey, You talk "bike"!! What year is the Fuel? They say keep them no more than 4 years or your stuck with it. I guess thats true to a point.

I change bikes a lot and lately have been just changing the frame. I may rebuild my Rook hard tail frame for the winter while I look for another FS frame. So many bikes so little time.

I would think your Trek is the better climber of those 3 bikes in your post. AND it looks like you have stuff to climb.

dummy
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
At the risk of geeking out this thread, mine is an '08 EX-9. I ride A LOT. All-mountain mostly: So Cal lung-burning uphills, moderate downhill, and long XC rides. Hurkey Creek is probably my favorite So Cal spot, but I hit Moab every year as well. I have a 52lb downhill bike with a 180mm triple crown fork best suited for chairlift action that's been sitting in the shed for years. I'd rather pedal and as odd as it sounds I love hitting long, slogging uphill as much as fast, flowing downhill.

I lust after the Pivots and Turners, but in reality the Fuel is a phenomenal value for how much bike you get. Hard to beat a used EX-8 in the $1,200-$1,800 range. The EX-9s are coming down in price as well. Better components and lighter. Even an EX-7 is a good candidate if price is a main concern. For the Treks, I'd only consider an '08-up with the ABP rear triangle. Better suspension design than the previous '07-earlier models. Starting in '09 they went to tapered head tube and 15QR front axles. My stock 9mm QR has a lot of flex when I really push it.

Lots of good ride reviews here: www.mountainbikebill.com

And this is a pretty good resource for anybody wanting to check bike specs of various years/make/models: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx

JMann
10-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Here is a picture of us getting off the shuttle in downieville Saturday am. We should have stayed on the shuttle and got dropped off at the bar. It was a good ride down but DAMN it was cold for the first 30 minutes.

MarkP
02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Here is a picture of us getting off the shuttle in downieville Saturday am. We should have stayed on the shuttle and got dropped off at the bar. It was a good ride down but DAMN it was cold for the first 30 minutes.
Jman What did you do to this thread??!!:mad:

JMann
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I must have killed it.

fstaslp
02-09-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.focus-bikes.com/typo3temp/pics/blackforest_pro_blk_web_02_2528c4bc69.png

This is the frame that I built up this winter.