PDA

View Full Version : Where are plugs on my MCX?

jdhart73
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I have a 2006 X2 with MCX motor. Does anyone have any good pics of where all the plugs
Are I need to take out to drain prior to winterization?
I looked all around and cant find any photos for my engine. I am going to take pics of the process and post them if I can figure out what plugs need to come out!

Thanks,
Jake

PaulW
09-20-2010, 06:12 PM
There is one on each side of the block just above the oil pan. They might have a wire atached to it for the knock sender. There is more to it than these plugs.

vision
09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Sorry, no images. But if it is helpful:

1. Block plugs are on each side of the block, just above oil pan, about dead center. There is a wired knock sensor on each drain plug. Loosen the nut holding the knock sensor and you can remove the drain plug. 1" wrench if I remember.

2. Disconnect the garden hose connection that joins the exhaust manifolds. The disconnect is in front of the motor (closer to the transmission) and in an X2 may be easier to reach from by lifting the rear seat storage bin.

3. Disconnect the hose to the transmission cooler as well.

4. I would pull the kill switch and turn the motor over a few times (i.e not start it) to help push out any water.

5. If you have a heater or shower, make sure to read up on how to winterize those as well. Heater core is one of the most sensitive items to freezing. Also, you will likely want to run some environmentally safe RV antifreeze through your ballast system. The best way to do this depends on your model year and there are several posts on how to do this as well.

Many other tasks need to happen of course, but these are the main water draining issues. Good luck.

jdhart73
09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks VISION ^^^.... I did see the plug with a wire on each side. I also found the black garden hose coming off the port side manifold and disconnected it (A bit of water came out but not much).
Where is the hose to the transmission cooler reached easiest?

Thanks
Jake

vision
09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks VISION ^^^.... I did see the plug with a wire on each side. I also found the black garden hose coming off the port side manifold and disconnected it (A bit of water came out but not much).
Where is the hose to the transmission cooler reached easiest?

Thanks
Jake

Your transmission cooler is on the starboard side. A cylinder about 5 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. There will be two smaller hydraulic hoses from the transmission going to the cylindrical cooler, DO NOT remove these. They carry oil from the transmission. Remove the large black hose on the bottom of the cooler that brings in fresh water. There is a screen in the cylinder just inside the lower opening. Clean this out if there is debris.

FrankSchwab
09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
When you remove any of the plugs, stick a wire or screwdriver in and jiggle it around jes' a lil bit. Scale often blocks the drain hole, preventing the engine from draining completely. Almost anything will knock it loose.