PDA

View Full Version : help with overheating?

jlbenzo024
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
My 87 prostar 190 with the indmar 351. just started overheating last time out about 2 hours into the day. It was I running fine around 160-180 and then all of a sudden got to 200 when we started pulling. I got back in the boat and we let it sit for a few min and it went back down. We started driving and it stayed down and then went back up while we were going and started smoking out the exhaust or steam out the exhaust. I pulled the impellar cover and impellar is not gone but it looks like it could be replaced. I believe it has the origional water pump on it and it seemed to be working but just wondering it that probably is my problem. Also im new to team talk so thanks for the help.

ahhudgins
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Replace the impeller and check the screen on the transmission oil cooler. The water pickup has a hose from the floor to the transmission cooler, and there is a screen inside the cooler that traps junk (leaves and sticks). If the impeller "looks like it could be replaced.." Replace it.

jlbenzo024
09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
is the transmission oil cooler the cylinder that is about a foot above the intake that has two hoses going to the transmission? Thank you.

jlbenzo024
09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
also does the thermostat under the triangle cover sit in there with the pointed end down or the side with the spring down?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I got some weeds in my trans cooler screen a few weeks ago while on vacation. I could tell right away that there wasn't enough water going through the system. Pulled the boat onto the trailer at the resort launch and gave the screen a quick clean and I was back on the water in about 20 minutes. Worked flawlessly for the rest of the week.

jlbenzo024
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
i checked the screen and it doesnt appear to be blocked. there is water in the hose that leads to the water pump so i guess the next thing would be the impellar or the whole water pump. Also how do you get the impellar out without the impellar puller? Thank you.

Barefooter92
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Darn Weeds!

Back flush your trans cooler with a toy soaker gun. Take both hose clamps off and shoot it from top down. (Engine side though to the intake side) Had the same symptoms this summer. I did change the impeller first which needed to be done, then the t-stat second. The pointy thing goes up by the way. After all that I still had trouble keeping the temp down while skiing, I could cruise all day long but the weeds kept the rush of water from entering the system at high speed.

If you have the LT1 there are two t-stats!

Barefooter92
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry for the delaid response (phone call).

I pulled my impeller with a pair of needle nose pliers. My direct drive is up front sounds like a v-drive is a bit harder.

Barefooter92
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Welcome to TT by the way.

This is the best site on the web for any MC owner such as youself!

jlbenzo024
09-20-2010, 01:16 PM
thank you sir

oldairboater
09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
There is a front and back on your impeller and it does matter which way you install it.

markiehd
06-14-2013, 08:45 PM
this post just saved my *** I replaced the thermostat last year. I just went thru whole cooling system. cleaned the tranny cooler screen, minimal debris, but some.... got good flow thru it. impeller looks good. pulled the tstat, and the pointy thing was up... lol rookie i am. i switched th t stat to pointy thing down, and am hopeful she will run just like always! thank you

ricford
06-14-2013, 09:10 PM
this post just saved my *** I replaced the thermostat last year. I just went thru whole cooling system. cleaned the tranny cooler screen, minimal debris, but some.... got good flow thru it. impeller looks good. pulled the tstat, and the pointy thing was up... lol rookie i am. i switched th t stat to pointy thing down, and am hopeful she will run just like always! thank you

If I'm not mistaken the spring should be down.