PDA

View Full Version : Striger Replacement

brianaw26
07-08-2005, 02:56 PM
I have parts of my stringers that are going bad, and I want to replace them before somthing goes wrong. I read online that you can cut out the bad parts of the stringers, replace the wood, and epoxy the ends together. Or do i have to replace the whole stringer.

ski_king
07-08-2005, 03:24 PM
There was a thread on here a few months ago complete with pictures of a project like this.
Do it right, replace the entire stringer.

Bruce Carr
07-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Brian,

Do you have the floors pulled up yet?

I live in Ft Worth and I am also contemplating a little floor surgery (don't know about the stringers yet). There is a website called "Rot Doctor" which addresses repairing stringers and other structural elements of fiberglass boats.

What part of Dallas/Ft Worth do you live in?

Bruce

brianaw26
07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
george bush and the toll way.

that was the site i was refering to...

http://www.rotdoctor.com/L/BoatL/QA081.html

Bruce Carr
07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Brian,

Do you have the floors pulled up yet?

Bruce

brianaw26
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
No i havent yet.

Bruce Carr
07-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I just recently discovered a small patch of floor that is spongy on my '83. I think my winter project will be to rebuild the floor. I was curious what the substructure looked like before I started cutting. I will post here with pictures. If you get yours taken apart before I do, let me know, as I may want to have a look.

Bruce

ski_king
07-08-2005, 03:47 PM
I just recently discovered a small patch of floor that is spongy on my '83. I think my winter project will be to rebuild the floor. I was curious what the substructure looked like before I started cutting. I will post here with pictures. If you get yours taken apart before I do, let me know, as I may want to have a look.

Bruce
Bruce, if yours is a 83, it does not have wood stringers.

Check out this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2577&highlight=floor) regarding spongy floor on a 83.

Bruce Carr
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
PowerSlot,

MC went to all glass construction mid year of '83. I have the wood stringer version. I am not expecting to see any stringer damage as the boat has been stored indoors since new. The floor has a soft spot about the size of a foot behind the driver seat.

Thanks for the post.

Bruce

brianaw26
07-09-2005, 12:08 AM
The S**T just hit the fan.......

I was out on the lake for a few hours with my GF. Wine, sunset, etc.... Everything was great....... then

SPLAT!!!

I was heading back to the ramp (water was almost glass) and the engine started vibrating pretty bad. I shut it down to take a look. I checked the prop for weeds/damage, nothing. Everything looked fine, and then I saw it. The engine sunk about 3 inches into the stringer..... My heart sunk with it.

Anyway I have been looking online for about an hour now and think that replacing the stringers wonít be that bad. Forward of the engine the stringers are fine and behind the transmission they are good too. The wood is in decent shape and not wet. Iím going to replace the rotten wood now and use CPES and Layup & Laminatingô Epoxy Resin to take care of the older wood for now. And in the winter I'm going to restore the stringers/gel coat/floors etc. But I donít want to miss this great weather.

We have a camping trip scheduled for Possum Kingdom next weekend and Iím going to try to make it. I figure that I can get this done in a week if I bust my ***. I'll take pictures and post them on the site tomorrow so you can see it all. This will give me a chance to clean up the bilge and engine too.

O well...

Cloaked
07-09-2005, 10:10 AM
There is indeed a fairly thorough thread here (search on "stringer") where one of the members replaced his stringers. It may help you if you so choose to read it.

Good luck and requesting many pics.... :wavey:

ski_king
07-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Here is a link to a stringer replacement thread. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2199&highlight=wood).

Good photos in the first message by jkc.

ski_king
07-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Also Jeremy79 is a regular here and I believe he recently replaced his stringers.

brianaw26
07-10-2005, 12:19 AM
I pulled the engine on my home made hoist. I will post pics later.

Stringers forward of the ski pole are fine and about a foot behind the transmission mounts are fine too. I will use the CEPS on them and strengthen them anyway.

The stringers under the mounts where the lag screws go were in pretty bad shape. I cut the top off one stringer and started removing the rotten wood from it. It started getting dark so I stopped for the night. I wonít be able to do anything else till probably Tues. This dosent look too hard and Iím thinking that this weekend will be a reachable goal.

Ill keep you informed.

Brian

tex
07-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I replaced part of the stringers on my old ski supreme. Tearing out the old stringer was the hardest part. We just wrapped the wood in fiberglass and bolted it into the good part of the stringer. We only had issues at the motor mount points. It was messy work but we were able to do it without pulling up the floor.

smsunman1
07-11-2005, 12:01 PM
ask the guys over at correctcraftfan.com. Those jokers delt with stringer rot until 94 or 96. I bet they were saying, "I wish I had bought an MC!" A friend of mine, his dad is a CC guy, and the camparision between MC and CC with reguards to stringer material is taboo, let em rot. :)

Tom Wortham
07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
I pulled the engine on my home made hoist. I will post pics later.

Stringers forward of the ski pole are fine and about a foot behind the transmission mounts are fine too. I will use the CEPS on them and strengthen them anyway.

The stringers under the mounts where the lag screws go were in pretty bad shape. I cut the top off one stringer and started removing the rotten wood from it. It started getting dark so I stopped for the night. I wonít be able to do anything else till probably Tues. This dosent look too hard and Iím thinking that this weekend will be a reachable goal.

Ill keep you informed.

Brian
Brian,
Not sure I would be much help. But, wouldn't mind seeing your "Project" :worthy:. Offer to come by with a few cold ones and review MC stories. Regards, Tom

brianaw26
07-15-2005, 07:50 PM
SUCCESS!!!

Sorry for not getting back to you about the help, but I have been so busy with this, work, and school. Anyway I replaced 3 feet of the stringer on each side. Sorry about the crappy picture, it was taken with my camera phone because I forgot my camera.

I built my engine hoist, and used a chain pull to raise the engine. Cut the tops off both stringers, cleaned out the wood, replaced it with C.E.P.S waterproofed wood, epoxied the new wood to the old wood, and bolted everything back up. I lifted the engine only about one foot so I didnít have to disconnect anything except the exhaust and the water pickup hose. I also finished replacing my spark plugs.

I took it out for a test and I feel relived that I can have this for the rest of the summer. Everything was fine except that the exhaust hose where it connects to the bend leaks water. I need to take care of that in the morning before we leave for Possum Kingdom.

I plan on restoring the boat in the winter (It needs it). And come next year I will have something that I can be proud of and not embarrassed ofÖ.. :)