PDA

View Full Version : LED's for the trailer?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Anyone use LED lights on the trailer, S/T/T, back up, or running lights? If so where to get them and what can I expect to pay. Obviously they have to be water proof.

Mag_Red
07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I put LED stop/turn/brake lights on my trailer because I had gone through 3 sets of bulbs lights last year. :mad: They kept getting water in them even though they were supposed to be sealed units. No problems this year....knock wood. I'll see if I can remember where I got them on-line when I get some more time :wavey:Here's one place that sells them. (http://store.vehiclelight.com/index.html)

martini
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I have LED's for all lights on my trailer. They work great. I got mine at Academy and Wally world.

Double Overhead
07-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I bought two oval stop and turn led lights last week at walmart. They were about $25 each. I really like them - they are bright and completely sealed. They should last a while

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I bought two oval stop and turn led lights last week at walmart. They were about $25 each. I really like them - they are bright and completely sealed. They should last a while
You bought LED lamps at Walmart for $25.00 each??? I was expecting to hear about $60.00 each. I doubt they will be that cheap here if they even have them.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2005, 03:29 PM
I put LED stop/turn/brake lights on my trailer because I had gone through 3 sets of bulbs lights last year. :mad: They kept getting water in them even though they were supposed to be sealed units. No problems this year....knock wood. I'll see if I can remember where I got them on-line when I get some more time :wavey:Here's one place that sells them. (http://store.vehiclelight.com/index.html)
These are ok, but I was hoping to find some with alot more leds per unit. Looks like there are some with about 20 to 30 leds. I used to have some on my old car trailer that had about 80 or more in each S/T/T, now that is what I would like but need the oval tylenol shaped units and 100% waterproof, and I know my otherones were not. Let me know what you find and if you have a picture of your so I can see how many leds are in each.

Double Overhead
07-08-2005, 03:29 PM
yeah they were $26 each - heres a link to the ones I got.

Peterson Manufacturing Pirahna LED (http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200009874.htm)

I know they dont have a ton of leds in them but they are very bright and reliable. I dont realy know why you would nee 80 per light. That is a lot of leds

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I dont realy know why you would nee 80 per light. That is a lot of leds[/QUOTE]

The difference is unbelievable when braking. They look normal (brightness) when running lights are on, but when you touch the brakes, the people behind "KNOW" you stopping, not necessarily blinding kind of bright, but there is a difference. I guess it is one of those things were you know what you want, and hope there is someone making it exactly that, otherwise everytime I look at them I will think, "Man I wish I would have bought the ones I wanted". I guess I am funny like that. It is sort of one of the reasons I bought a Mastercraft and not one of the others. Sort of......
All Leds I have seen are an outstanding difference over conventional incandescents in all aspects.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Anyone else?

redmike
07-27-2005, 01:30 AM
got the ones for my quad trailer (yes they are water proof) at a trucker supply store. think they were about $30-40 each (bought lots of stuff) and they have about 60 or so lights. So, that might be another place to check out!

Kevin 89MC
08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I just got my stop/tail/turn LEDs from vehiclelight.com. They have 60 bulb and 10 bulb lights. They are supposed to be the same brightness (brighter bulbs in the 10 bulb), but I like the look of the 60 bulb better. They were around $20 each I think. I've dunked 'em once (left them plugged in), no water in them so far. They sure look great! I hope they last longer than the 1-2 years I'd seem to get out of the standard lights. If so, I may change out all the side markers at some point. I've replaced 2-3 of those, and my dealer doesn't carry that style any more, and I currently have one broken.
Kevin

Workin' 4 Toys
08-11-2005, 12:17 AM
I just got my stop/tail/turn LEDs from vehiclelight.com. They have 60 bulb and 10 bulb lights. They are supposed to be the same brightness (brighter bulbs in the 10 bulb), but I like the look of the 60 bulb better. They were around $20 each I think. I've dunked 'em once (left them plugged in), no water in them so far. They sure look great! I hope they last longer than the 1-2 years I'd seem to get out of the standard lights. If so, I may change out all the side markers at some point. I've replaced 2-3 of those, and my dealer doesn't carry that style any more, and I currently have one broken.
Kevin
Keep me posted on the longevity. I am interested. I have not bought any yet. I am going to do the whole trailer, reverse lights and all markers and STT's. And I want them all to match, and have the most LEDs per fixture I can find, and be 100% waterproof. I am still looking.

Kevin 89MC
09-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Well, I've dunked them in the water about 6-7 times in the 3 weeks I've had them, always left them plugged in. They were from vehiclelight.com. So far, no leaking, still working great. :D I like that the standard connector receiver is not on the back of the light, but at the end of a 6" lead, so the only thing penetrating the unit is 3 wires. I would highly recommend them.
Kevin

Leroy
09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Wally World Marine!

chathamsolutions
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Here's what mine look like.

I love them. They are recessed in the trailer. they are white during the day, but while running they are red. They look GREAT. Even though they were an upgrade, I'd do it again. I love the looks and performance has been great for the last year. I've trailered over 5K miles with them.

Mine aren't in the 80 LED range, but they are close to 60.

- Here's a site that might have what you're looking for - but again, only got up to 60 range of LED, per unit.
http://www.vehiclelight.com/ledstli.html

- If you're looking for an oval, this looks like it could work (not listed, but appears to have a large number of LED's - good selection and good pricing): See item 5540R
http://www.led-r-us.com/sttlights.shtml

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 04:29 PM
No complaints with mine either. Over a year now, launching every week-end. :dance:

River Rat
09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Welcome chathamsolutions :wavey: I really like the way them lights look! What about pict. of that boat :)

River Rat
09-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Welcome chathamsolutions :wavey: I really like the way them lights look! What about pict. of that boat :)

Opps I didn't see the bottom of your post :o :o

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Opps I didn't see the bottom of your post :o :oMust be one of Rod's new buddies :D

chathamsolutions
09-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Ya, I'd post a pic - but... you know.

Hit my LINK in my sig to see my boat.

Jim
09-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I was just checking out the stop/tail/turn LED's on vehiclelight.com. The item description stated the lenses are sonicaly sealed? This is a new term to me. So my question is are they going to leak or is this a new and improved way of sealing and keeping the water out? I've never heard of it.

mcporet
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Obtained LED kit from local parts store for trailer. Replaced wiring from tongue to stern, grounded lights as per instruction with the following results.
1. With no running lights on- left turn signal fully illuminated with a single bar on the right which blinks with the left turn signal.
2. Brake lights work properly-running lights work properly.
3. Right turn signal works properly without left signal illuminating
4. Running lights on- left signal does not blink

Returned LEDS to store for replacement- reinstalled after checking everything-same results

Works the same on three different vehicles. Any ideas?

Footin
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Trailer ground.

TMCNo1
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Obtained LED kit from local parts store for trailer. Replaced wiring from tongue to stern, grounded lights as per instruction with the following results.
1. With no running lights on- left turn signal fully illuminated with a single bar on the right which blinks with the left turn signal.
2. Brake lights work properly-running lights work properly.
3. Right turn signal works properly without left signal illuminating
4. Running lights on- left signal does not blink

Returned LEDS to store for replacement- reinstalled after checking everything-same results

Works the same on three different vehicles. Any ideas?

I agree with Footin',
It's not the LED lamps, it's a screwed up ground connection.

Ubugme2
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
They could be right about the ground. I just redid my entire trailer just to find that the ground at the front of the trailer was weak. Also if you have a 7 round it could be hooked up wrong. On my new gmc ( which just blew a tranny sat) I had to rewire my 7 round to match the truck.

Ski-me
07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
I just re-did my wiring and ran separate ground wires from the front harness, all the way back to each light fixture. Any splices I did were soldered together. This way, I KNOW each light has a ground. It always bugs me to see lights flicker on and off while going down the road......inevitably getting the ground connection only from the hitch ball rather than the wiring harness. I did also connect a few pigtails to the frame of the trailer to be sure everything was grounded real well.

I got these LED's on ebay. The lights look beautiful however the rubber gromet is a little loose. I think it can be fixed easily with some type of extra padding in there....

$26.95 for a pair w/free shipping (I paid $22.95 last month for a pair)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-TRAILER-LIGHTS-RED-6-OVAL-10-DIODE-SUBMERSIBLE_W0QQitemZ300329543258QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZMotors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories?hash= item45ed09265a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1171

ProStar Slalom
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I just re-did my wiring and ran separate ground wires from the front harness, all the way back to each light fixture. Any splices I did were soldered together. This way, I KNOW each light has a ground. It always bugs me to see lights flicker on and off while going down the road......inevitably getting the ground connection only from the hitch ball rather than the wiring harness. I did also connect a few pigtails to the frame of the trailer to be sure everything was grounded real well.

I got these LED's on ebay. The lights look beautiful however the rubber gromet is a little loose. I think it can be fixed easily with some type of extra padding in there....

$26.95 for a pair w/free shipping (I paid $22.95 last month for a pair)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-TRAILER-LIGHTS-RED-6-OVAL-10-DIODE-SUBMERSIBLE_W0QQitemZ300329543258QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZMotors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories?hash= item45ed09265a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1171

Ski-me, I think you just taught me something. I was checking my trailer lights over the weekend and they were acting funny. But I didn't have the trailer connected to the ball; just backed up close enough to connect the lights....does the trailer have to be connected to fully ground the trailer lights?

Ski-me
07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
It depends on how it is wired up. If your ground wire from your truck (white) is connected to the truck chassis and the ground wire on the other end is connected to the trailer frame, you don't need to fully hitch it together.

When I re-wired mine, I bought two sets of wires (4 pr) and ran one group down the left (green, tan & white) and another group down the right (yellow, tan & white). I then soldered every joint and pigtail. At the tongue, I did have to solder the groups together but I feel like every connection is good and solid.

A lot of times the ground wire does not get connected to the frame of the trailer from the flat 4 bar connector and the only way for the ground connection to complete the circut is from the hitch itself. If that connection moves around a little, the trailer lights will flicker.

Perhaps your white ground wire is frayed a bit or not fully connected to your trailer from the flat 4 bar. My original wires did have some exposed wire but not enough to lose the connection. If any of the grounds at each light are loose, they will flicker. A few of mine were originally riveted to the fiberglass. That rivet was the only way the fixture was getting a ground and as a result, did not stay on all the time.

Hope that helps...

Edit:
I got these marker lights from Overtons:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87315&pdesc=Optronics_Mini_Sealed_LED_Marker/Clearance_Light&cname=Trailer-Lights&aID=603C&merchID=1009&r=view

Now, all of my lights have individual ground wires coming out instead of relying on the mounting bolt for it's ground. An overall better connection long term.

ProStar Slalom
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks; definitely helps me understand prior to digging into it.

flipper
07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Ski-me, I think you just taught me something. I was checking my trailer lights over the weekend and they were acting funny. But I didn't have the trailer connected to the ball; just backed up close enough to connect the lights....does the trailer have to be connected to fully ground the trailer lights?

No, that shouldn't matter if you have a good ground wire to the trailer.

TN_Maristar
07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Thought I would chime in here....I had a gift card for Bass Pro Shop and noticed that they have a decent selection of LED lights for trailers. If you are in the market you may to check them out.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SportingGoods_All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FBo ating%252F%252F%252F%252FTrailer%2BAccessories%252 F%252F%252F%252FTrailer%2BLights_10151_-1_10001_navbar_page1_N_225010006_225000000_2250100 00_false_25___2

Hey Ski-me, I noticed that you are also a Coug! Glad to be in good company here at TT.

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Thought I would chime in here....I had a gift card for Bass Pro Shop and noticed that they have a decent selection of LED lights for trailers. If you are in the market you may to check them out.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SportingGoods_All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FBo ating%252F%252F%252F%252FTrailer%2BAccessories%252 F%252F%252F%252FTrailer%2BLights_10151_-1_10001_navbar_page1_N_225010006_225000000_2250100 00_false_25___2

Hey Ski-me, I noticed that you are also a Coug! Glad to be in good company here at TT.

Good to hear too! There are a few other Cougs and Huskies in here as well. All in good fun!
A friend was in Pullman on Saturday and said the Coug was closed for the night! Unbelievable! I just hope it's summer hours........:o