PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing help please!

gaz46
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi all!

Im lookin for some advice on winterizing! the problem i have is that its starting to turn cold here in the uk, current forecast are predicting frost!!! not good for september. the thing is we usually ski til the end of october but im worried about the consequences of the engine freezing. i always try to empty as much water as possible by running the motor momenterily after use out of the water! i dont want to have to but the boat away just yet! anyone have any suggestions???

Cheers all, Gaz!

flipper
09-16-2010, 01:52 PM
For one don't run the boat out of the water. You're looking for trouble.

Just drain the block and exhaust manifolds and you should be fine

TLR67
09-18-2010, 06:57 AM
For one don't run the boat out of the water. You're looking for trouble.

Just drain the block and exhaust manifolds and you should be fine

And the lower hose on the waterpump....

oldairboater
09-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Never start a raw water cooled boat dry--never run a raw water cooled boat without water. If I was worried about water trapped in my block freezing I would review my drain system and make intelligent changes or forming a plan.

east tx skier
09-18-2010, 09:23 AM
On your 190, there will be four plugs to disconnect. There are two on either side of the block (port side is farther back than Starboard). There are also two 3/4" NPT plugs on the rear of the exhaust manifolds. Remove each of these plugs.

Next, disconnect your raw water hoses at their low points. Shake them a bit to get any remnant water out.

Finally, remove the safety lanyard and bump the engine over a couple of times. This will eject any water trapped in the pump housing. That housing is likely to freeze well before the block would and is often overlooked.

Good luck.

Kyle
09-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Make sure that if you have a heater on your boat that you drain the heater core lines. A heater core will freeze before anything on your boat. Also drain shower lines if you have them.

gaz46
09-18-2010, 11:17 AM
thanks for the info! Ive located the plugs in the block but im struggling to find the ones in the manifold. The boat is an 86 skier, will it have these? When you mention the raw water pump is this located at the front of the motor? Sorry for my ignorance, this is my 1st mc, im used to a 2stroke outbourd..... Many thanks. Gaz.

shortyx250
09-18-2010, 04:10 PM
They are the big bolts on the back of the manifolds, just below the hose. I think a half inch ratchet will remove them. I would be safe and fill the block with antifreeze. I have seen freeze plugs come out by just draining the block. I run my boat with the hose in a bucket of antifreeze till pink stuff comes out of the exhaust. Uhhh Yeah!

Cloaked
09-18-2010, 05:29 PM
thanks for the info! Ive located the plugs in the block but im struggling to find the ones in the manifold. The boat is an 86 skier, will it have these? When you mention the raw water pump is this located at the front of the motor? Sorry for my ignorance, this is my 1st mc, im used to a 2stroke outbourd..... Many thanks. Gaz.There is one more plug on the cooling system. It is located on the underside of the elbow beside the raw water pump. The plugs in the exhaust manifold are on the rear, directly under the exhaust hose coming off the riser. Be careful with these plug connections. They are easy to strip when putting the plug back in. It doesn't take much to mess it up, thinking the plug(s) should take more of a bite and torque. They don't so don't turn them too much and use anti-seize on them next spring. I put them back in and barely turn them beyond enough to get a thread bite. Take a 1/2" socket drive with you when you run water through the engine expecting the plugs to leak. Tighten only to the point that the leak stops. Stop right there with the wrench.

When you remove the brass plugs look at them for degradation. Put some new ones in when you put it back together next spring.

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RS3533 They ship international.

Remove the hose from the bottom of the transmission cooler and drain the cooler.

east tx skier
09-18-2010, 06:16 PM
thanks for the info! Ive located the plugs in the block but im struggling to find the ones in the manifold. The boat is an 86 skier, will it have these? When you mention the raw water pump is this located at the front of the motor? Sorry for my ignorance, this is my 1st mc, im used to a 2stroke outbourd..... Many thanks. Gaz.

If it is a pcm, also look for a drain plug on the bottom side of the j-tube going to the water pump.

/edit. Repeat.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
There also may be some water in your speedometer lines. Disconnect from both ends and blow the water out through the back. Whatever you do, don't force any air into the speedometers. Leave disconnected till spring.