PDA

View Full Version : Replace floor section 95 Maristar 225

Gofast
09-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I need to replace the center floor section in my Maristar. The honeycomb is breaking down. Has anyone replaced thiers? If so what is the thickness of that panel, did you glue the old carpet down or replace. Thinking about going to snap in carpet, not sure yet.

This will be my end of season project, just trying to get an idea of the scope of the project.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks Rob

Hoosier Bob
09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
How much of the honeycomb is breaking down? Corner or around the mounts/screws? I pealed my carpet back and filled with epoxy resin. Did not add any noticable weight and is strong as designed if not stronger. Sand and re-glue the carpet and looks like new. If you can keep it, keep it. Just sayin'.I need to replace the center floor section in my Maristar. The honeycomb is breaking down. Has anyone replaced thiers? If so what is the thickness of that panel, did you glue the old carpet down or replace. Thinking about going to snap in carpet, not sure yet.

This will be my end of season project, just trying to get an idea of the scope of the project.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks Rob

tph
09-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Resin coated 3/4" plywood worked good on my '89 ProStar. I also glassed an oak 1" X 2" onto the underside of the edge of the panel on the engine cover side. and Yes, I glued the old carpet onto the new piece. It's still working great after several years of service.

Dylan
09-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Resin coated 3/4" plywood worked good on my '89 ProStar. I also glassed an oak 1" X 2" onto the underside of the edge of the panel on the engine cover side. and Yes, I glued the old carpet onto the new piece. It's still working great after several years of service.

I did the 3/4" Marine Ply and Resin at the beginning of summer, and it had help up excellently. My panel was about a 1/16" higher than the surrounding carpet, so I planed it to match on the edges.

Love your boat BTW GoFast...

Charlotte_maristar
09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a 96 Maristar 225 and restored it several years ago. I had the same problem with the flooring behind the ski pilon, and had the bad piece replaced by the local MC shop with a sheet of aluminum of the same thickness of the original flooring and swapped the carpet from the original piece to the new one. Four years later it's still holding up fine.

mx21
01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I used Nida-Core composite honeycomb (0.8") to replace the aluminum honeycomb. It is not strong enough to span the 29" without flex. I fabricated 2 aluminum cross supports between the tank and floor and it is now solid. Cost is ridiculous for shipping so I would go another route.